Back in the USA (sorta beer / home report)

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message .

> We already have five years of history, as long as WWII took, and it
> doesn't look good for Shrub.

So we should drop the bomb to end the war? If we hadn't bombed Japan the
war would have lasted quite a bit longer.

different type of war, don't you think?

Gary

"Sand Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Shawn wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>> > It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

>> I get the metaphor and all. My point was; them being over there is
>> making us less safe by the admission of the W House, so what's the point?

> The point is; I'd rather play the "away game" so we never have to
> expose our families to the "home game", again.

Amen. Welcome home and thank you for your service. The "Away Game" is
working.

Semper Fi,

Marty

"Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Sand Squid wrote:
>>> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!

>> If'n you make it over to the Left Coast by chance, I'd like to buy you
>> a beer...after riding bikes of course.
>>

> If that's Colorado, I'll do the same. JD probably drinks Coors Light like
> the AF puke he was, but we've got real beer in Fort Collins. Welcome home.
>
> Glenn D.

HA! Saying JD was in the Air Force is like saying a Navy Seal is a sailor. I
get your point though.
He IS still a Wing nut. If I lived close I'd buy all three of you some beer
and lift them to the Martyr Makers.
As it is I'll tilt my glass Bowmore Single malt and say thanks.

Marty

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't matter what they want. They've made themselves our enemy and
>> must be destroyed.

> I disagree entirely. It's not necessary to destroy them because
> they're our enemies - it's necessary because of their goals. Say you
> have two neighbors - one on each side. One hates your car, your
> religion (or lack thereof), your kids and your music. Flips you off
> every chance he gets. The other has sworn to kill you, your wife and
> your kids. I'm guessing you're going to deal with 'em differently.

Clearly, you don't disagree entirely. We've got enough to disagree on
without making disagreements up.

Your allegory isn't clear. Which of my neighbors blew up my garage five
years ago?

If I'm the United States, I've got a long line of punks swearing to
destroy me - big deal. They can talk smack to their gangs all they want.
It's the ones who actually hurt me, or show the capacity to do so, that
I care about.

(Of course, if *I'm* the United States, I also help all those trash
talkers who *haven't* actually hit me find reasons to settle down. I'm
talking about "hearts and minds," which is just another aspect of this
campaign we've screwed completely.)

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.

Sand Squid wrote:

>>> I'll keep going
>>> out putting my life on the line to defend your rights to express your
>>> opinions without fear of public execution for daring to express them.

> Tom Carson wrote:
>> This war has nothing to do with any of that.

> Tell that to the people who were lined up against this wall by the
> Taliban, in front of thier wives and children:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/the_wall.jpg
>
> Ohh wait, you can't because they were murdered because they dared to
> have a different point of view, and expressed it..... Is that the type
> of world you want to live in?
>
> Yes, I stood in that place and took that picture and I cried real
> tears.... And it was then that I really felt and confirmed, why I was
> there. I know I am doing my part to make this world a better place...
> a place where sh!t like this will not be tolerated.
>

> I hate to quote Ozzy, but he had it right when he wrote:
> Millions of people living as foes
> Maybe its not to late
> To learn how to love
> And forget how to hate
>

> I'll drink to THAT.

You do know that these disagreements are about policy, not the hard work
and risk you run working for us, right?

I'm in favor in principle of sending our military to various places to
protect kids from being drafted, raped, or killed. I *wish* we had a
spare brigade that we could send to Sudan/Congo/Chad to kick ass and
take names, but they're all tied up right now. I *wish* we had a
division to send to Afghanistan to bottle that place up, but they're all
tied up elsewhere.

If Shrub had a diplomatic bone in his body, he'd have managed the
lead-up to Iraq so we had enough help to secure the place and give them
a fighting chance. Now, despite all the deaths & injuries suffered,
we've effectively lost. *Lost.* "Stay the course" is just a dumbed-down
version of "I don't know what the hell to do, or I do know but won't run
the political risk." The best we can expect out of Iraq is the status
quo, and we've got little reason to expect even that: the trends have
been consistently "down."

The will isn't there to give the fight what it needs, and that too is
Shrub's fault. If he hadn't lied about the intel, we'd either not be
there or we'd be there with the will to do it right.

Here's thanking you again, and hoping you survive the meat grinder in
the future.

GeeDubb wrote:

> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
>>
>> We already have five years of history, as long as WWII took, and it
>> doesn't look good for Shrub.

> So we should drop the bomb to end the war? If we hadn't bombed Japan
> the war would have lasted quite a bit longer.
>
> different type of war, don't you think?

Nuking the place won't solve a damn thing. It's for those with
considerably more testosterone than brains.

If we want to win, we raise taxes, re-tool factories, ration gasoline,
maybe even draft soldiers, in that order. The only way to get out of
Iraq with a functioning democracy is to "flood the zone" with effective
security (well-equipped American soldiers) and accept the casualties
that would result. If we parked an armed HUMVEE on every corner of every
city, Iraq would quiet down pretty quickly. But we'd also give the
insurgents, militias and terrorists more targets.

If the Republicans were serious about winning, they would've done that
already.

What we're doing isn't working. If you think what we're doing is working
or will work, then you have either not been paying attention at all, or
are seriously deluded. As long as they fight, we haven't won. Until we
shut off their recruiting, we haven't won. They have more cannon fodder
than before, and control more territory than before.

If we pull out, we'll leave Al Qaeda with Anbar province at least.
They'll build their army of terrorists, stir **** up in the MidEast, and
continue to come after us. (Has anyone else noticed that "fighting them
over there so we don't have to fight them here" is ********? Just
because we're in Iraq hasn't stopped AQ from attacking us one bit. We've
just stopped the attacks so far. And note how it's been *police work*
that has stopped 'em.)

We either fight to win, or lose. Either choice has consequences, and I
don't see us choosing to fight on.

The only good news is, any one of us can *personally* stop their next
attack here, if we happen to be in the right place at the right time
with a cell phone.

Raptor wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
>>>
>>> We already have five years of history, as long as WWII took, and it
>>> doesn't look good for Shrub.

....snip...

Today I road my bicycle and it was fun. Everyone should try it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> If'n you make it over to the Left Coast by chance, I'd like to buy you
>>> a beer...after riding bikes of course.
>>>

>> If that's Colorado, I'll do the same. JD probably drinks Coors Light like
>> the AF puke he was, but we've got real beer in Fort Collins. Welcome
>> home.

> HA! Saying JD was in the Air Force is like saying a Navy Seal is a sailor.
> I get your point though.
> He IS still a Wing nut.

Yeah, he was more than your average zoomie, but that's the fun of it.

> If I lived close I'd buy all three of you some beer and lift them to the
> Martyr Makers.
> As it is I'll tilt my glass Bowmore Single malt and say thanks.

Laphroiag for me, but thanks.

Glenn D.

Marty wrote:
> "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> If'n you make it over to the Left Coast by chance, I'd like to buy you
> >> a beer...after riding bikes of course.
> >>

> > If that's Colorado, I'll do the same. JD probably drinks Coors Light like
> > the AF puke he was, but we've got real beer in Fort Collins. Welcome home.
> >
> > Glenn D.
> >

> HA! Saying JD was in the Air Force is like saying a Navy Seal is a sailor. I
> get your point though.
> He IS still a Wing nut.

Thanks Gunny...I think, you leathernecked jarhead.

JD

JD wrote:
> Marty wrote:
> > HA! Saying JD was in the Air Force is like saying a Navy Seal is a sailor. I
> > get your point though.
> > He IS still a Wing nut.

> Thanks Gunny...I think, you leathernecked jarhead.

My
Ass
Really
Is
Navy
Equipment
^

:)

--
JG
Spent too much time in the Gator Navy

"Sand Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> JD wrote:
>> Marty wrote:
>> > HA! Saying JD was in the Air Force is like saying a Navy Seal is a
>> > sailor. I
>> > get your point though.
>> > He IS still a Wing nut.

>> Thanks Gunny...I think, you leathernecked jarhead.

> My
> Ass
> Really
> Is
> Navy
> Equipment
> ^
> |
> :)
>
> --
> JG
> Spent too much time in the Gator Navy

I always heard it as.... My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment. Course my favorite
is..... The Marine is part of the Department of the Navy........ The Men's
Department.

;)

Marty

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sand Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> JD wrote:
>>>

>>> Thanks Gunny...I think, you leathernecked jarhead.

>> My
>> Ass
>> Really
>> Is
>> Navy
>> Equipment
>> ^
>> |
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> JG
>> Spent too much time in the Gator Navy
>>

> I always heard it as.... My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment. Course my
> favorite is..... The Marine is part of the Department of the Navy........
> The Men's Department.

My favorite:

Q. Why does the Navy have Marines onboard their ships?
A. Because sheep would be too obvious.

Glenn D.

> I always heard it as.... My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment.

Having been on a few Gator Freighters ( LPD's ) like the Austin and
Ponce, I can attest to THAT

> Q. Why does the Navy have Marines onboard their ships?
> A. Because sheep would be too obvious.

You are a BAAAAD bouy...

And it's actually because they lost the NSN Nubmer for Velcro gloves.

"Sand Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!

Excellent News. Congrats. And allow me to personally Thank you for your
service. No political BS involved, just a simple citizen to soldier. THANK
YOU!

The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

Truly bad news indeed. But much respect.

Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
Jägermeister, they were divine.

Excellent Choice.

to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

Jonesin' for a ride...there ya' go!

ome things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
after almost 9 months in the Desert:

I can well imagine!

Welcome back brother!