Back on Atkins

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dmcgaw, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. BJPruett

    BJPruett Guest

    Now that's a terrific solution I hadn't thought of! Maybe I'll give it
    a try next Halloween.

    Barbara

    [email protected] wrote:

    >I fixed the Halloween problem. I don't have any kids, but I used to go
    >out and buy candy for the kids that show up. And of course, you never
    >know how much to buy and can't risk running out. So, now I just go
    >out Halloween to a bar. I can have dinner and a few drinks, and it
    >doesn't cost me much more than buying all that crap candy!

  2. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    "Sherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > If a person still looks as though they need to lose weight, gracious
    > > comments of refusal work just fine. After losing all the weight I needed

    > to,
    > > many think I am too skinny and have gone too far with the dieting. When

    > that
    > > happens, refusals to eat something comes off as offensive, no matter how
    > > polite it was intended.

    > Hmmm...I don't even mention that I'm eating differently to lose weight
    > (unless I'm with close family, who all know and also realize that argument
    > is futile; "You mean you WANT me to go back to my old habits when I've

    been
    > doing so well???" with a shocked look and a raised eyebrow - BWAHAHAHA!).
    > Simply that "I don't eat that".

    Some people that know I eat low carb, don't agree with the diet. Their
    usually the ones that are most vocal. Most others are understanding that
    certain things like desserts are not ok on any diet.

    > If I were allergic to peanuts and someone
    > offered them to me, how I look wouldn't matter, I'd say, "I don't eat

    that".

    Of course. If you didn't, it would be detrimental to your health. A firm
    "I can't eat that" works fine for these types of situations.

    > Ditto were I diabetic and they offered me a hot fudge sundae...

    Exactly.

    > but if I'd
    > already made an issue of my "diet" then I suppose some sorts of people

    would
    > think that gave them the right - if not the duty - to also make an issue

    of
    > it.

    I agree that bragging or making an issue about how good low carb is, just
    invites confrontation. Some people just won't take "no thanks" for an answer
    though without an explanation of why you can't eat that. When you're slim
    enough (in their opinion), there is a lot more pressure to conform. "Oh one
    little bite won't hurt", "We're celebrating, you gotta live a little", "What
    are you worried about your weight for? You look fine."
    Michelle gave a good description of the many excuses for eating things not
    on the diet. It's tough to say no to everyone, but it has to be done if a
    person wants to stay on track. It certainly is a valid reason as to why some
    people fall off the wagon.

    > --
    > Sherry
    > 364/290/195 (4/3/05)
    > http://lowcarb.owly.net

  3. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:zroTf.161576$H%[email protected]
    > Some people that know I eat low carb, don't agree with the diet. Their
    > usually the ones that are most vocal. Most others are understanding that
    > certain things like desserts are not ok on any diet.

    I guess I don't figure it's anybody else's place to agree or disagree with
    what I choose to put - or not put - into my mouth. Whether others
    understand or not is not an issue to me, and when they want to make it one,
    I simply don't allow it. (Although, when I'm feeling bored I have been
    known to yank people's chains who think they know better than I do how I
    should eat <G>)

    > Of course. If you didn't, it would be detrimental to your health. A

    firm
    > "I can't eat that" works fine for these types of situations.

    So what's the difference? Eating carbs is detrimental to our health.

    > > Ditto were I diabetic and they offered me a hot fudge sundae...

    > Exactly.

    Still no difference...

    > I agree that bragging or making an issue about how good low carb is,

    just
    > invites confrontation. Some people just won't take "no thanks" for an

    answer
    > though without an explanation of why you can't eat that. When you're slim
    > enough (in their opinion), there is a lot more pressure to conform. "Oh

    one
    > little bite won't hurt", "We're celebrating, you gotta live a little",

    "What
    > are you worried about your weight for? You look fine."

    Bah. I don't let conversations progress that far. It isn't a topic for
    discussion.

    > Michelle gave a good description of the many excuses for eating things

    not
    > on the diet. It's tough to say no to everyone, but it has to be done if a
    > person wants to stay on track. It certainly is a valid reason as to why

    some
    > people fall off the wagon.

    It's not a wagon, it's not a "diet", it's what I eat - or what I don't.
    Doesn't matter why I eat the way I do, doesn't matter if it's allergies or
    disease or intolerance - "I don't eat that" covers it all, and the why or
    why not isn't open for discussion. Or else it causes problems like you've
    described.

    --
    Sherry
    364/290/195 (4/3/05)

  4. Luna wrote:

    > it's Halloween <...>
    > "As soon as this is all gone, that's it, I'm back to low-carb" but then,
    > surprise! Thanksgiving shows up.

    <...>

    > So you go and have Thanksgiving dinner with your family, and you're all
    > "Hey, it's just one meal" but then they send you home with leftovers

    <...>

    > a box of Valentine's chocolates will somehow
    > materialize in your life.

    <...>

    > And I like it and I don't want donuts at all, I swear!

    Luna, that webcam with audio pickup you apparently installed in my
    house when I wasn't looking has really *got* to come out.

    Beth