Back On LC

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dean S. Lautermilch, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.

    Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586

    Life is too short to be overweight.

    Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    Newman's and chicken for today.

    Tags:

  2. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    says...
    > I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.
    >
    > Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    > http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586

    Police in riot gear outside the Culinary Arts building. There has GOT
    to be a low-carb joke in there somewhere :)

    > Life is too short to be overweight.
    >
    > Today is my third day in ketosis.

    Good for you!

    > Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    > Newman's and chicken for today.

    Try not to get too dependent upon shakes.

    --
    Saffire
    205/137/125

  3. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.

    I bet, yet surprisingly Florida seems chock full of fat people!

    > Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    > http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586

    DO fill us in - what were you shooting??

    > Life is too short to be overweight.

    You are so right! Have you always been overweight or did you gain weight
    recently?

    > Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    > Newman's and chicken for today.

    Good job - and I agree w/Luna abou the shakes. Was that all your food for
    the day? It seems like a starvation diet, you need more actual food. I don't
    see how someone can last long eating that way - This isn't SLim Fast, this
    is that great life plan where you get to eat lots of wonderful food and
    still lose weight!

  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Dean S. Lautermilch wrote:
    :: I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida
    :: heat.
    ::
    :: Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    :: http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586
    ::
    :: Life is too short to be overweight.
    ::
    :: Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    :: Newman's and chicken for today.

    Which one are you? The guy about to get clobbered?

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    nanner wrote:
    :: "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email protected]
    ::: I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida
    ::: heat.
    ::
    :: I bet, yet surprisingly Florida seems chock full of fat people!
    ::
    :::
[...]

    Doesn't it depend on how much salad and how much chicken?

  6. I've been fat and thin and back to fat again. I lost over one hundred pounds
    on LC
    many years ago and even met Dr. Atkins. I gained it back working as a
    computer tech traveling a lot doing project work around the country and
    living off vending machines.

    The image was taken at a protest. Here are my images of the event.
    http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/oas

    The reason for the shakes is to get ride of the first ten pounds so I can
    get on the weight loss 'high'. After I lose the first ten pounds I am on the
    high knowing the diet is working and temptation is really not a problem at
    that point.

    "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.

    > I bet, yet surprisingly Florida seems chock full of fat people!
    >

    >> Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586

    > DO fill us in - what were you shooting??
    >

    >> Life is too short to be overweight.
    >>

    > You are so right! Have you always been overweight or did you gain weight
    > recently?
    >
    >> Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    >> Newman's and chicken for today.

    > Good job - and I agree w/Luna abou the shakes. Was that all your food for
    > the day? It seems like a starvation diet, you need more actual food. I
    > don't see how someone can last long eating that way - This isn't SLim
    > Fast, this is that great life plan where you get to eat lots of wonderful
    > food and still lose weight!

  7. I really like the Advantage shakes and the Advantage bars. I limit
    myself to one shake and one bar a day (usually around lunchtime, when
    I'm most rushed). Still have lost 15 pounds (I didn't eat them on
    induction).

  8. Dean S. Lautermilch wrote:
    > I've been fat and thin and back to fat again. I lost over one hundred pounds
    > on LC
    > many years ago and even met Dr. Atkins. I gained it back working as a
    > computer tech traveling a lot doing project work around the country and
    > living off vending machines.

    Hi, Dean!

    I'm kind of new here, too, but just wanted to say I love the picture and
    have to agree that someone here will come up with a great punch line for
    it -- lol

    But what I really wanted to throw in is, I feel your pain about trying
    to stick to a low-carb lifestyle while on the road. I drove a truck for
    five years and the challenge just became too much. It's really hard to
    stay committed when the only food you have access to for three days is
    from vending machines in rest areas. I guess people think you can just
    park that beast anywhere, but that's not the case. Even if you have the
    room, you're always being chased off. Wal-Mart used to be a haven for
    truckers on the road to stock up, but now that Sam's gone, they're
    blocking trucks from the parkings lots, ticketing them or towing them
    away. The truck stops don't help either -- besides they're "Travel
    Centers" now and cater to soccer moms, not truck drivers. Even though
    I've always found that low-carb is a cheaper way to live, if you stick
    to "real food", because you don't eat as much, when you're charged
    triple and quadruple the standard "super market" price for anything, it
    makes it tough on the wallet.

    I guess you could say I did the "30 Day Guy" bit for five years. lol

    Anyway, enough of that -- I wish you well and agree with the what the
    others have said about the shakes, bars and other low-carb "wonders".
    I've always seen the "real food" aspect as the best part of this WOE.

    Blessings to you!

  9. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > nanner wrote:
    > :: "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :: news:[email protected]
    > ::: I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida
    > ::: heat.
    > ::
    > :: I bet, yet surprisingly Florida seems chock full of fat people!
    > ::
    > :::
    > ::: Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I
    > ::: see. http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586
    > ::
    > :: DO fill us in - what were you shooting??
    > ::
    > :::
    > ::: Life is too short to be overweight.
    > :::
    > ::
    > :: You are so right! Have you always been overweight or did you gain
    > :: weight recently?
    > ::
    > ::: Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    > ::: Newman's and chicken for today.
    > ::
    > :: Good job - and I agree w/Luna abou the shakes. Was that all your
    > :: food for the day? It seems like a starvation diet, you need more
    > :: actual food. I don't see how someone can last long eating that way -
    > :: This isn't SLim Fast, this is that great life plan where you get to
    > :: eat lots of wonderful food and still lose weight!
    >
    > Doesn't it depend on how much salad and how much chicken?

    Well, maybe. i had an ENORMOUS salad for dinner - I was just starving! But -
    if that was all I had and 2 shakes for the day I don't think I could go on
    that way.

    I had a full head of romaine, a whole avocado, a huge chicken breast cut up
    into the salad, half of a large cucumber, about 5-6 raw mushrooms sliced
    into it and alot of grated parmesan, oil & vinegar. This was a salad for a
    family and I was stuffing it in really - but I ate it all. Even if that was
    lunch I know I'd need food for dinner, not a shake. But I persoanlly need a
    lot of food.

    I guess it's individual. I had eaten a HUGE steak for lunch with cheese &
    salsa (in the broiler - mmm) and had snacked on almonds. I have a big
    appetite and it seems to increase if i drink alot of soda w/aspertame (which
    I did all weekend) I had pepperoni and greenbean salad for breakfast. I also
    had a pickle at some point during the day.

    I really overate yesterday! Boy - i need to get to Fitday LOL
    JoAnna
    176/141/120 never gone see that 120 if I don't cut back LOL

  10. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've been fat and thin and back to fat again. I lost over one hundred
    > pounds on LC
    > many years ago and even met Dr. Atkins. I gained it back working as a
    > computer tech traveling a lot doing project work around the country and
    > living off vending machines.

    bummer

    > The image was taken at a protest. Here are my images of the event.
    > http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/oas

    Cool pix. I like the one of the drummers, the girl looks like me back in the
    day LOL

    > The reason for the shakes is to get ride of the first ten pounds so I can
    > get on the weight loss 'high'. After I lose the first ten pounds I am on
    > the
    > high knowing the diet is working and temptation is really not a problem at
    > that point.

    Well, I hope it motivates you, temptations is alwaysa prob for me. I may
    actually post what the devil in my head was saying to me yesterday - it's a
    constant battle.

    > "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.

    >> I bet, yet surprisingly Florida seems chock full of fat people!
    >>

    >>> Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586

    >> DO fill us in - what were you shooting??
    >>

    >>> Life is too short to be overweight.
    >>>

    >> You are so right! Have you always been overweight or did you gain weight
    >> recently?
    >>
    >>> Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    >>> Newman's and chicken for today.

    >> Good job - and I agree w/Luna abou the shakes. Was that all your food for
    >> the day? It seems like a starvation diet, you need more actual food. I
    >> don't see how someone can last long eating that way - This isn't SLim
    >> Fast, this is that great life plan where you get to eat lots of wonderful
    >> food and still lose weight!

  11. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Bailey's Girl wrote:
    :: Dean S. Lautermilch wrote:
[...]

    Can't you put a little frig in there? Then carry nuts, pork rinds, canned
    meats, etc?

  12. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    I used to be over 300 too. It takes time and persistence, but weightloss
    can be done.

    If I may offer some tips:

    Read "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" (I actually just read key sections of
    it myself.)

    Use the download from http://www.fitday.com to track eating and progress.

    Avoid most made-for-low-carb products.

    Don't try to do low carb as low fat.

    Count calories along with carbs. Fitday makes this easy.

    Make low carb a new way of life.

    Don't cheat or have "cheat days."

    Be the master of your own diet. Find what works for you and make it your
    own program.

    Cubit
    311/169.8/165

    PS: Did you go through the kitchen and toss all the carby stuff in the
    trash?

    PPS: You may want to have a better "before" picture, for the future.

    "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.
    >
    > Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    > http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586
    >
    > Life is too short to be overweight.
    >
    > Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    > Newman's and chicken for today.

  13. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    I used to be over 300 too. It takes time and persistence, but weightloss
    can be done.

    If I may offer some tips:

    Read "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" (I actually just read key sections of
    it myself.)

    Use the download from http://www.fitday.com to track eating and progress.

    Avoid most made-for-low-carb products.

    Don't try to do low carb as low fat.

    Count calories along with carbs. Fitday makes this easy.

    Make low carb a new way of life.

    Don't cheat or have "cheat days."

    Be the master of your own diet. Find what works for you and make it your
    own program.

    Cubit
    311/169.8/165

    PS: Did you go through the kitchen and toss all the carby stuff in the
    trash?

    PPS: You may want to have a better "before" picture, for the future.

    "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.
    >
    > Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    > http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586
    >
    > Life is too short to be overweight.
    >
    > Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    > Newman's and chicken for today.

  14. Jim Bard

    Jim Bard Guest

    "Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > says...
    >> I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida heat.
    >>
    >> Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I see.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586

    > Police in riot gear outside the Culinary Arts building. There has GOT
    > to be a low-carb joke in there somewhere :)

    That was not a joke. That is the Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts,
    the Florida branch one of the most famous cooking schools in the world.. A
    person or persons unknown snuck in and replaced all the sugar wtih Splenda.
    The search is still on.

    If the police find the person(s) responsible and turn him over to the french
    chefs who teach at the school, the poor perpetrator will be slapped to death
    with plastic gloves.

  15. I overate a salad yesterday myself. It's tough to kill that
    "clean-your-plate" mentality that was drilled into my head until the
    age of 18 (which was drilled into my parents' head by their
    Depression-Era parents). I made a great salad, romaine lettuce, tuna,
    some almonds, minced garlic, tomatoes and mushrooms. Only problem is I
    made it too big. Then I ate it anyways. Ooog.

    Gotta watch that.

    nanner wrote:
    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > nanner wrote:
    > > :: "Dean S. Lautermilch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > :: news:[email protected]
    > > ::: I'm hitting 300 and it really has caught up with me in the Florida
    > > ::: heat.
    > > ::
    > > :: I bet, yet surprisingly Florida seems chock full of fat people!
    > > ::
    > > :::
    > > ::: Someone took this image of me two weeks ago. I don't like what I
    > > ::: see. http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/image/44500586
    > > ::
    > > :: DO fill us in - what were you shooting??
    > > ::
    > > :::
    > > ::: Life is too short to be overweight.
    > > :::
    > > ::
    > > :: You are so right! Have you always been overweight or did you gain
    > > :: weight recently?
    > > ::
    > > ::: Today is my third day in ketosis. Two Atkins shakes and a salad with
    > > ::: Newman's and chicken for today.
    > > ::
    > > :: Good job - and I agree w/Luna abou the shakes. Was that all your
    > > :: food for the day? It seems like a starvation diet, you need more
    > > :: actual food. I don't see how someone can last long eating that way -
    > > :: This isn't SLim Fast, this is that great life plan where you get to
    > > :: eat lots of wonderful food and still lose weight!
    > >
    > > Doesn't it depend on how much salad and how much chicken?
    > >

    > Well, maybe. i had an ENORMOUS salad for dinner - I was just starving! But -
    > if that was all I had and 2 shakes for the day I don't think I could go on
    > that way.
    >
    > I had a full head of romaine, a whole avocado, a huge chicken breast cut up
    > into the salad, half of a large cucumber, about 5-6 raw mushrooms sliced
    > into it and alot of grated parmesan, oil & vinegar. This was a salad for a
    > family and I was stuffing it in really - but I ate it all. Even if that was
    > lunch I know I'd need food for dinner, not a shake. But I persoanlly need a
    > lot of food.
    >
    > I guess it's individual. I had eaten a HUGE steak for lunch with cheese &
    > salsa (in the broiler - mmm) and had snacked on almonds. I have a big
    > appetite and it seems to increase if i drink alot of soda w/aspertame (which
    > I did all weekend) I had pepperoni and greenbean salad for breakfast. I also
    > had a pickle at some point during the day.
    >
    > I really overate yesterday! Boy - i need to get to Fitday LOL
    > JoAnna
    > 176/141/120 never gone see that 120 if I don't cut back LOL

  16. Lass Chance

    Lass Chance Guest

    Welcome aboard, Dean.

    The beauty part of this WOE, is, you dont HAVE to rely on shakes and
    salad, LOL.

    Have yourself some eggs and bacon...heck, have a cheeseburger sans the
    bun, of course, for lunch! Have a sirloin strip and a big salad for
    dinner....ENJOY wonderful food!

    You may be a little like I was, a month ago. I couldnt quite make my
    self believe I could lose weight and NOT 'suffer". After all those years
    of being taught to 'fear" fat....told to "cut calories!" made it very
    hard to trust that I really could eat a cheese omelette with
    bacon....and LOSE weight. It seems....so decadent and SURELY 'wrong".

    But, it's true. Trust.

    you GO, babe!

    LassChance

    Start LC~5-16-05
    202-?-165
    (i'm scale phobic)

  17. Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Bailey's Girl wrote:
    > :: Dean S. Lautermilch wrote:
    > ::: I've been fat and thin and back to fat again. I lost over one
    > ::: hundred pounds on LC
    > ::: many years ago and even met Dr. Atkins. I gained it back working as
    > ::: a computer tech traveling a lot doing project work around the
    > ::: country and living off vending machines.
    > ::
    > :: Hi, Dean!
    > ::
    > :: I'm kind of new here, too, but just wanted to say I love the picture
    > :: and have to agree that someone here will come up with a great punch
    > :: line for it -- lol
    > ::
    > :: But what I really wanted to throw in is, I feel your pain about
    > :: trying to stick to a low-carb lifestyle while on the road. I drove
    > :: a truck for five years and the challenge just became too much. It's
    > :: really hard to stay committed when the only food you have access to
    > :: for three days is from vending machines in rest areas. I guess
    > :: people think you can just park that beast anywhere, but that's not
    > :: the case. Even if you have the room, you're always being chased
    > :: off. Wal-Mart used to be a haven for truckers on the road to stock
    > :: up, but now that Sam's gone, they're blocking trucks from the
    > :: parkings lots, ticketing them or towing them away. The truck stops
    > :: don't help either -- besides they're "Travel Centers" now and cater
    > :: to soccer moms, not truck drivers. Even though I've always found
    > :: that low-carb is a cheaper way to live, if you stick to "real food",
    > :: because you don't eat as much, when you're charged triple and
    > :: quadruple the standard "super market" price for anything, it makes
    > :: it tough on the wallet.
    > ::
    > :: I guess you could say I did the "30 Day Guy" bit for five years. lol
    >
    > Can't you put a little frig in there? Then carry nuts, pork rinds, canned
    > meats, etc?

    Hi, Roger --

    It's not just a matter of "can't you" -- it's also a matter of expense
    and availability and practicality. Kinda like a "they can put a man on
    the moon" kind of thing.

    We went the fridge route (and they aren't cheap) and they lasted three
    to six months, so we were constantly throwing them away, not to mention
    the "goodies" that were in them. There's also the issue of being able
    to get to a grocery store when you're on the road. It's not just a
    matter of being allowed to park there in the first place, you have to
    know where it is, get to it, get to is during business hours, and on and
    on and on and on. And those sleepers look big, but there's only so much
    storage available. Not to mention the fact that we couldn't haul one
    load because we were overweight on the steers -- dispatch never figured
    it out but it was because the storage space under the bunk was full of
    canned food. <lol>

    I know a lot of guys who live in their trucks -- not even having real
    homes -- cook in there and everything. When we were running team, the
    truck didn't stop long enough to do much of anything, and when I was
    running alone I was too darned tired to mess with it.

    I supposed if I got to the point where I went back to trucking and it
    was more of a paid RV lifestyle than a job, it might work. When you're
    running, and running hard, to pay the bills, it doesn't.

    :)

  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Bailey's Girl wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: Bailey's Girl wrote:
    ::::: Dean S. Lautermilch wrote:
    :::::: I've been fat and thin and back to fat again. I lost over one
    :::::: hundred pounds on LC
    :::::: many years ago and even met Dr. Atkins. I gained it back working
    :::::: as a computer tech traveling a lot doing project work around the
    :::::: country and living off vending machines.
    :::::
    ::::: Hi, Dean!
    :::::
[...]
    :: :)

    It does sound like a hard life....how long does one typically make a living
    this way? Seems like burn-out would eventually become a problem.

  19. Roger Zoul wrote:
> [...]
    > :: because the storage space under the bunk was full of canned food.
    > :: <lol>
    > ::
    > :: I know a lot of guys who live in their trucks -- not even having real
    > :: homes -- cook in there and everything. When we were running team,
    > :: the truck didn't stop long enough to do much of anything, and when I
    > :: was running alone I was too darned tired to mess with it.
    > ::
    > :: I supposed if I got to the point where I went back to trucking and it
    > :: was more of a paid RV lifestyle than a job, it might work. When
    > :: you're running, and running hard, to pay the bills, it doesn't.
    > ::
    > :: :)
    >
    > It does sound like a hard life....how long does one typically make a living
    > this way? Seems like burn-out would eventually become a problem.

    lol -- well *I'm* home now! I did get burned out pretty quick --
    actually I think the term "disgusted" sums it up better.

    Hubby's been driving for over 30 years. Some do it forever (and go
    through a lot of wives <g>), some, like me, figure it out quick and get
    out quick. :)

  20. None Given

    None Given Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It does sound like a hard life....how long does one typically make a

    living
    > this way? Seems like burn-out would eventually become a problem.

    Every time my cousin goes back to driving he ends up on crank again and then
    back to rehab.

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes