Back On The Saddle Again (with 2 new Orbeas)

Rick_G

Jul 30, 2006
Hello from sort of a newbie. I used to be a total bike head when I was younger but the past 2 decades have seen little riding. Well after 25 years - I'm finally back to riding a good road bike. And man it feels great!

I used to race road bikes when I was a kid. I worked in a bunch of bicycle shops as a mechanic (from 15 till I was 20). Some of the shops were pro shops. I worked for the importer of Coppi bikes for a while in the mid 1970's. It was there that I really developed a LOVE for fine road bikes with Columbus tubing and Campagnolo parts.

I've owned a Bottechia with a mixture of Campy parts since I was a teen. It has sew-ups, and fairly light components. But the old girl is tired, so I decided to splurge on a couple of new high end road bikes for our 20th anniversary. My wife and I eat well and exercise so we haven't let middle age kick our butts too badly yet.

I got my wife and myself 2 new Orbea Spirit-Carbon's. They both have Columbus Spirit tubing, with Columbus Muscle carbon seat stays and a Zeus carbon fork. They have the Campy Veloce groupset, with Campy Vento wheels.

I decided to match both of our bikes, because I didn't want to handicap my wife with a lesser bike, even though she's not yet as serious about riding as I am. I figured it would be easier for her to get into riding if she had a nice bike.

My wife is short and the 48cm frame with the right bars, stem, and seat are perfect for her. I've got stumps for legs so I'm on the 51cm frame. The bikes look hot - and they ride even better.

A lot has changed in the past 25 years since I last worked in a pro bike shop. The new stuff is so hot! Our new bikes are GORGEOUS. And the ride is highly responsive yet smooth. I'm loving getting back on the road again. It's been too long!

The Orbea Spirit Carbon frame is SWEET. The old familiar feel of a steel frame but with awesome new geometry and the smoothing effect of the carbon too. Wow is all I can say! :)

We've had the bikes since Tuesday. I've already made a couple of short 9 mile rides. Then this morning I hooked up with four friends for a Sunday morning ride. We rode 25.5 miles today.
The Orbea Spirit Carbon frame just soaked up the road - I'm not even sore - dang. Yet it was very responsive too. Two of my friends are very active cyclists and I was amazed that I was able to keep up with them for almost the entire ride (of course I was drafting most the time). But I was pleased to see that I could still get on it after 25 years.

I'm looking forward to getting a lot of pleasure out of our new bikes. My wife is excited about it too. Guess it's never too late to get back on the saddle.

I'm also looking forward to getting into this forum. It looks like the best message board I've run across for cycling. So hello.

BTW - How many other fans of steel frames do we have here?
Anyone else on the Orbea steel frames?
Lovers of Columbus tubing?

Just curious.

Pictures of our new Orbeas. Mine is black. My wife's is blue. We love them!

black2.jpg

black3.jpg

black5.jpg

black6.jpg

black7.jpg

black8.jpg

black10.jpg

black11.jpg

black9.jpg

blue1.jpg

blue2.jpg

blue3.jpg

blue4.jpg

blue5.jpg

blue6.jpg

blue7.jpg

nice, i believe that steel is real (although right now im on a metal matrix frame and its very nice)i too took time away from cycling (6 years). so, do you find yourself only using 6 of the 10 gears like me :D .

welcome back, enjoy the ride.

1. Welcome back.

2. Wonderful bikes.

3. Good man, you ride Campagnolo.

I currently ride an alu/CF frame, but will get a steel columbus frame sometime in the future (read: when the wife allows).

:D

Glad to see you like your new bikes. I'm on a full carbon bike, but with a good laid-back geometry because I have short torso compared to my legs. I've ridden cheap bikes most of my life. Seems at my age it doesn't matter much what the bike is made of, as long as it fits me well.

Very choice rides. I've done the same thing myself - was a serious cycle gearhead about 25 years ago, quit riding, started again a couple of years ago, and built up a proper road bike. Just love it - why did I ever stop?

Since I was riding way back when, Campy was the only choice for my new bike, a Chorus group. Sure didn't have the slick computers back then. Aero wheelsets are a big improvement.

One thing I did do - I recently bought an example of the bike I used to ride way back when, a Falcon San Remo 76 - 531 frame, all Campy NR. Steel gives such a sweet ride - smooth, but not at all flexy. You might eyeball ebay for prices on what you used to ride, most 70's-80's high end bikes can be had for a fairly reasonable price.

Thanks for the replies.

Update on the wifey pooh: After a few good rides I'm happy to report that my wife is really enjoying her bike and getting into riding.

I was concerned about dropping a couple grand on a bike for her. We've had some **** mountain/street bikes as long as we've been married. And up till now she's taken a casual view toward riding (understandably). So I was a bit worried whether or not she'd like this.

Well I'm happy to say - she's lovin it. And she's riding hard too. I'm surprised how strong and fast she's riding for just getting onto her first serious bike. She's in good shape. And although she doesn't ride as fast as me (and I don't expect her too) she's makin me proud.

What a relief - glad I wasn't wasting my money after all!

It's so cool to see her riding with her Sidi shoes, shorts, jersey and helmet - riding like she means business. She's learned how to draft and she hangs on pretty well. I'm impressed.

I've gotta add that the bike was fitted to her perfectly by Florida Bicycle Sports, so she's very comfy on her bike. Additionally the steel/carbon Orbea frame is a responsive and comfortable ride so it makes it easy for her to ride fairly fast yet remain comfortable at the same time.

I'm happy to say - it looks like we're gonna be a cycling family :)

Rick--

I am thinking about buying the Orbea Spirit Carbon. Thanks for the pics and the discussion. Before I make the purchase, I would love to hear more about how they are riding, if they really are the best in steel and carbon as they claim, and what you think is a fair price for a fully spec'd Ultegra Triple version with the Ultegra Wh-600 Wheelset. Thanks for any help you can offer.

They really are sweet bikes to behold...

What can I say? I love 'em! My riding experience as I mentioned above is pretty much limited to steel Columbus tubing, so that's my point of reference. I've ridden on aluminum and carbon only briefly doing test rides. My overwhelming preference is steel. It just feels good. These frames are comfortable and they're responsive too. Plus I think the carbon stays and the carbon fork on the Orbea's add to the smoothness somewhat. Read about the Columbus Spirit tubing here...
http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_4_1.htm
http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/3_3.htm

So what do you get with an Orbea Steel-Carbon frame? You get a quick ride! I can keep pace with two buddies who are in better shape; one rides an all-carbon frame, the other rides an aluminum frame. The frame is stiff enough to transfer energy into motion - it really moves out. Yet it's smooth so it won't beat you up.

Compare it to any other bike in this range and I think the Orbea will make a lot of sense to you. I originally wanted a Colnago, but I couldn't swallow the price tag. Plus I spoke with a dealer who told me their lower end model rides poorly. Sure, I would have loved to buy an Italian frame, but the budget said "keep looking". The Orbea's are built a bit west of Italy over in Spain. So it's still got the European thing going on. And the build quality and the paint is magnificent. There are no decals - all graphics are hand painted. The finish alone will convince you to look closely at the Orbea compared to the competition. It's gorgeous!

I couldn't be happier. My only complaint is that I can only squeeze in rides 4 days a week. These bikes call out to you - "ride me". It's hard to even walk by the closet where they reside without swinging open the door and taking a peak. These bikes are awesome! If you decide to get one I'm sure you'll be as delighted as I am.

I can't advise on the Shimano equipment, I'd go with Campy if it were my money.

Thanks so much for the info. I think you have tipped the scales for me and now I just gotta get the scratch together.

One last question...what are those tires on your wife's (Krylion as well)? Trying to find the right aesthetic match...

Rick_G said:
What can I say? I love 'em! My riding experience as I mentioned above is pretty much limited to steel Columbus tubing, so that's my point of reference. I've ridden on aluminum and carbon only briefly doing test rides. My overwhelming preference is steel. It just feels good. These frames are comfortable and they're responsive too. Plus I think the carbon stays and the carbon fork on the Orbea's add to the smoothness somewhat. Read about the Columbus Spirit tubing here...
http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_4_1.htm
http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/3_3.htm

So what do you get with an Orbea Steel-Carbon frame? You get a quick ride! I can keep pace with two buddies who are in better shape; one rides an all-carbon frame, the other rides an aluminum frame. The frame is stiff enough to transfer energy into motion - it really moves out. Yet it's smooth so it won't beat you up.

Compare it to any other bike in this range and I think the Orbea will make a lot of sense to you. I originally wanted a Colnago, but I couldn't swallow the price tag. Plus I spoke with a dealer who told me their lower end model rides poorly. Sure, I would have loved to buy an Italian frame, but the budget said "keep looking". The Orbea's are built a bit west of Italy over in Spain. So it's still got the European thing going on. And the build quality and the paint is magnificent. There are no decals - all graphics are hand painted. The finish alone will convince you to look closely at the Orbea compared to the competition. It's gorgeous!

I couldn't be happier. My only complaint is that I can only squeeze in rides 4 days a week. These bikes call out to you - "ride me". It's hard to even walk by the closet where they reside without swinging open the door and taking a peak. These bikes are awesome! If you decide to get one I'm sure you'll be as delighted as I am.

I can't advise on the Shimano equipment, I'd go with Campy if it were my money.