BACK PAIN AND ARMS

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by JGAMBOA, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. JGAMBOA

    JGAMBOA Guest

    I AM 45 AND I HAVE BEEN RUNNING ALMOST ALL MY LIFE ON AND OFF.
    THE LAST 12 MONTHS I HAVE NOT BEEN RUNNING. MY CARDIO DURING THIS PERIOD
    HAVE BEEN ONLY LOW IMPACT STATIONARY BIKE.
    LAST DECEMBER ON A SUNNY DAY (COLD) I WENT TO RUN AND I HAD TO STOP
    BECAUSE OF PAIN ON MY BACK AN ARMS. I THOUGH IT WAS MUSCULAR BECAUSE IT
    WAS VERY COLD.
    THIS MONTH I TRIED AGAIN TO RUN WITH THE SAME SYNTOMS. WHEN I STOP
    RUNNING THE PAIN STARTED DECRESING,THE TEMPERATURE THIS TIME WAS 74 AND
    SUNNY.
    I WILL APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS?

    Tags:

  2. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    In article
    <[email protected]k.com>,
    JGAMBOA <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I AM 45 AND I HAVE BEEN RUNNING ALMOST ALL MY LIFE ON AND OFF.
    > THE LAST 12 MONTHS I HAVE NOT BEEN RUNNING. MY CARDIO DURING THIS PERIOD
    > HAVE BEEN ONLY LOW IMPACT STATIONARY BIKE.
    > LAST DECEMBER ON A SUNNY DAY (COLD) I WENT TO RUN AND I HAD TO STOP
    > BECAUSE OF PAIN ON MY BACK AN ARMS. I THOUGH IT WAS MUSCULAR BECAUSE IT
    > WAS VERY COLD.
    > THIS MONTH I TRIED AGAIN TO RUN WITH THE SAME SYNTOMS. WHEN I STOP
    > RUNNING THE PAIN STARTED DECRESING,THE TEMPERATURE THIS TIME WAS 74 AND
    > SUNNY.
    > I WILL APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS?

    JG,

    If someone came to you with these same symptoms, what would you tell
    them? Someone wrote here or at one of the other running sites a few
    months ago, that for many people the sign of a serious heart problem is
    a malady called "Death."

    Not knowing if you have a spouse and children, if not for their sake
    then for your own, I'd think that you'd tell the person who came to
    speak with you about this arm/back pain, that not being a physician,
    you would suggest that they rule out anything serious like
    life-threatening.

    Some of us have unique bodies that because of our genetic background
    magnificently produce great amounts of the wrong kind of cholesterol.
    Add that to an active life of running....on and off and then 12 months
    of not running, I'm sure you would expect that without knowing what
    your situation is with Lp(a) called LP-little a and LDL IIIa & b and
    LDL IVq & b you'd want to know. You might want to check out the info
    at Berkeley HeartLab http://www.bhlinc.com/overview.shtml

    Remember Denial is not a river in Egypt.

    My thinking is that my running has assisted me over the years and has
    probably kept me alive even thought I didn't know that my genes did a
    wonderful job at producing cholesterol that wasn't beneficial to my
    health.

    Listening is learning. Looks like you have a lot of listening to do.
    We'd like to see you around rec.running and still running no matter how
    minimally, 30 or more years from now.

    Happy President's Day.

    In health and on the run,
    Ozzie Gontang
    Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
    Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
    Mindful Running:
    http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

  3. DadatHome

    DadatHome Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]k.com>,
    "JGAMBOA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I AM 45 AND I HAVE BEEN RUNNING ALMOST ALL MY LIFE ON AND OFF.
    > THE LAST 12 MONTHS I HAVE NOT BEEN RUNNING. MY CARDIO DURING THIS PERIOD
    > HAVE BEEN ONLY LOW IMPACT STATIONARY BIKE.
    > LAST DECEMBER ON A SUNNY DAY (COLD) I WENT TO RUN AND I HAD TO STOP
    > BECAUSE OF PAIN ON MY BACK AN ARMS. I THOUGH IT WAS MUSCULAR BECAUSE IT
    > WAS VERY COLD.
    > THIS MONTH I TRIED AGAIN TO RUN WITH THE SAME SYNTOMS. WHEN I STOP
    > RUNNING THE PAIN STARTED DECRESING,THE TEMPERATURE THIS TIME WAS 74 AND
    > SUNNY.
    > I WILL APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS?

    Does the pain happen during any other activity than running? Like when
    going all out on your bike? Or walking up a few flights of stairs? If so
    I absolutely agree with Ozzie - you need to get to a doctor.
    Insufficient blood flow to the heart (angina and the precursors to a
    heart attack) are often arm pain and middle back pain when exerting
    oneself. You could also experience: neck and jaw pain, dizzyness,
    disorientation, blurred vision, burning sensation at the base of the
    throat, squeezing sensation of the chest, difficulty breathing and other
    hard to pin down symptoms. Don't be fooled by only experiencing one or
    two of these - you only need one or two to have a full blown heart
    attack. I speak from experience.
    as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long