back pain following 2 massage/tui na accupressure sessions

Andi

Guest
Hi, I have been having significant back pain (I have been to a dr.; after mri and x-ray the source
of the problem is clearly my cervical spine, C5 and C6). The pain is in mainly in my upper back on
one side (trapezius? i think; alao further down from my neck). I am deciding how to proceed; in
the meantime I was in a great deal of pain this week and went to a highly recommended "tui na"
massage place.

They are fantastic, and after one session I felt this might be a help to me. I went back the next
day, and although the massage was extremely painful at times I didn't say anything out of
desperation (desperation to feel better; so, I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything, hoping I
would feel better after).

I do in fact feel different (like it will be helpful ultimately), but I am extremely sore and
uncomfortable. I expect this will abate and would like to go back there, but I am at a loss right
now as to how to make myself feel better. I have lidocaine patches from my dr., and I've tried
applying cold (as recommended) and advil. Any other suggestions? Also, do you think it's too soon to
painful in the hopes of longer-term relief?

Thank you for any information you might share on this, Andi

You can try rubbing a bar of sulphur for a couple of minutes over the affected area. Have you been
lifting heavy weight ? Did the pain started in the morning ?

"andi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I have been having significant back pain (I have been to a dr.; after mri and x-ray the source
> of the problem is clearly my cervical spine, C5 and C6). The pain is in mainly in my upper back on
> one side (trapezius? i think; alao further down from my neck).

"andi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi, I have been having significant back pain (I have been to a dr.; after mri and x-ray the source
> of the problem is clearly my cervical spine, C5 and C6). The pain is in mainly in my upper back on
> one side (trapezius? i think; alao further down from my neck). I am deciding how to proceed; in
> the meantime I was in a great deal of pain this week and went to a highly recommended "tui na"
> massage place.
>
> They are fantastic, and after one session I felt this might be a help to me. I went back the next
> day, and although the massage was extremely painful at times I didn't say anything out of
> desperation (desperation to feel better; so, I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything, hoping I
> would feel better after).
>
> I do in fact feel different (like it will be helpful ultimately), but I am extremely sore and
> uncomfortable. I expect this will abate and would like to go back there, but I am at a loss right
> now as to how to make myself feel better. I have lidocaine patches from my dr., and I've tried
> applying cold (as recommended) and advil. Any other suggestions? Also, do you think it's too soon
> to go back in a few days if I'm less sore (i.e., if I can bear it!) even if the massage is
> somewhat painful in the hopes of longer-term relief?
>
> Thank you for any information you might share on this, Andi

A couple of years ago I developed a sharp pain at the base of my neck that radiated outward; down my
back, along my should and up my neck. I went to a Chiropractic here in town and he found four
subluxations in my spine. Two were in my back, one in the middle back and one in the lower back. He
proceeded to treat me and I haven't felt this good in years.

I asked him if deep tissue massage might offer some benefit as a complementary treatment, to help
stimulate and retrain the muscles. He told me that massage wouldn't work because it doesn't offer
enough corrective action on the joints, though it might make the soft tissues feel better.

So, my advice is to seek out a competent Chiropractor so that he/she can realign your vertebrae.
This hopefully will solve your problem.

This is of course my humble opinion but I hope it helps.

Sincerely, Arden
--
** Arden Robinson says to: Help yourself by helping others at http://okshun.net/worksmarter Place
Free Ads and Other Goodies at http://okshun.net **

I failed to mention in the above post that my Chiropractor did a full set of
complained about. And he showed me the misaligned joints. So, he wasn't just
'quacking' on me. :)

Sorry for posting on this again, I was re-reading and saw some typos:
> that radiated outward; down my back, along my should and up my neck.

... along my shoulder...

> in my spine. Two were in my back, one in the middle back and one in

...Two were in my neck,....

Sorry for the confusion....

Arden

First things first.

1) What did the x rays show up, what is your actual problem?
2) You must tell your massage therapist about your problem. If they have the full diagnoses they
will be able to take the appropriate theraputic and safety measures. Yes I have heard of great
theraputic benefits from this style of massage. They go deeper than the western style of massage
and can make some structural changes; ask them and see what they say.
3) I also recommend looking for a reputable (word of mouth) chiroprator or oesteopath who uses 'craniao-
sacral technique'. This technique basically says that most problems start at your centre of
gravity around your hips, this section of your body bears strain for nearly every move we make
from simply waving an arm to normal walking. Thus their method works from the hips outward
createing a stable base for any subsequent adjustments as treatment progresses. It should cost
about the same as your massages and you should get pretty immediate results, however to get your
body back to a stable state may take a few months.

Good luck, feel free to write if you have more questions -Alan Jacques.

"andi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I have been having significant back pain (I have been to a dr.; after mri and x-ray the source
> of the problem is clearly my cervical spine, C5 and C6). The pain is in mainly in my upper back on
> one side (trapezius? i think; alao further down from my neck). I am deciding how to proceed; in
> the meantime I was in a great deal of pain this week and went to a highly recommended "tui na"
> massage place.
>
> They are fantastic, and after one session I felt this might be a help to me. I went back the next
> day, and although the massage was extremely painful at times I didn't say anything out of
> desperation (desperation to feel better; so, I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything, hoping I
> would feel better after).
>
> I do in fact feel different (like it will be helpful ultimately), but I am extremely sore and
> uncomfortable. I expect this will abate and would like to go back there, but I am at a loss right
> now as to how to make myself feel better. I have lidocaine patches from my dr., and I've tried
> applying cold (as recommended) and advil. Any other suggestions? Also, do you think it's too soon
> to go back in a few days if I'm less sore (i.e., if I can bear it!) even if the massage is
> somewhat painful in the hopes of longer-term relief?
>
> Thank you for any information you might share on this, Andi

---