Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Back Pain - Seat Height Related?

Started by was7g · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,028 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 June 2006
Last activity
26 June 2006
Original author
was7g
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,028
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey all, Noob rider who fidgets constantly with seat height adjustment.

    I've read all the threads about how high the saddle should be, and I've moved the seat up and down accordingly. It seems to me that at a higher position, I start to get back pain.

    FYI- I injured my back last winter- somewhere down in my lumbar region (my personal theory is that I pulled something while on a maladjusted exercise bike)- and I had MAJOR sciatic pain as a result- such to the point that I couldn't walk without going through a round of anti-inflammatory medication.

    Anyways, when out on the bike, it seems that if I try and raise the seat to where it should be based upon what I've read (heel hitting the pedal when sitting in the saddle with no shoes on and crank at lowest position), I get a pain in my lower back VERY soon after beginning to ride (~6-8 mi)- a pain that seems roughly akin to the one that I had in addition to my sciatica. If I have the seat markedly lower, such that I'm not getting a maximally efficient pedalling stroke, it seems better on my back.

    Any suggestions? I've been adding a pre and post ride stretch routine to my workout- this from someone who's never believed in the efficacy of stretching- in the hopes that this will help- and I think it does a little, but I'd like to get rid of the pain altogether.

    Thanks.

  2. Put the saddle in a place that works for your knees, then raise the bars to get your back comfortable.

  3. Check your saddle also for nose up/down. I've heard that too much nose up will cramp your back.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.