Back Pain While Riding Long Distances

adietsch

Jul 31, 2009
I do not have a cycling racing bike, but i do have thin wheeled touring bike. I have been riding a lot in the past weeks, and i have expierenced back pain. Any suggestions?

adietsch said:
I do not have a cycling racing bike, but i do have thin wheeled touring bike. I have been riding a lot in the past weeks, and i have expierenced back pain. Any suggestions?

Start with a good bike fit. If you plan on riding "a lot" it is well worth it. Try stretching your hips and back (I know you said back) with some passive stretching techniques like the "figure 4 and cobra" poses etc... Also, do some core work to strengthen your core muscles that provide the stability for riding.

1. Bike fit for sure.
2. In addition to stretches already mentioned, definitely stretch your hamstrings, preferably after they're warmed up some.
3. Depending on how old you and how long you ride, low back pain/soreness is something you'll just have to learn to endure. "Endurance" encompasses many aspects to many people...Comes with the territory when doing repetitive motion, same posture exercising...

This is my advice:
1) Pick the bike that suit your body fit.
2) Warm up carefully
3) Do not exert too much. Rest when you feel the pain. Then continue.
4) If the symptoms keep going, check your doctors for more infos and treatment ;)

I hate to have to tell you this, but it's impossible to give any meaningful advice without seeing the bike and you on it. Do you have a picture?

Just getting a bike fit at some shop isn't necessarily going to solve your problem, because there's just no such thing as one fit. How you fit on the bike depends on too many factors for that.

Ultimately though, if it's longer distance endurance you want rather than sheer power or speed, it usually helps to have the saddle a little further back and the handlebars a little further up (without being too close or too far from you). Back pain can be caused by improper saddle height or setback, or by handlebars which aren't in the right position for you.

Back pain isn't unusual if you've stepped up your riding lately, but IMO there is no need to suffer on the bike. Suggest you back off of the mileage and intensity of riding, and spend some time each day doing stretches and some easy core exercise. Give it a few weeks to let the lower back heal before you carefully start adding mileage or harder efforts.