Back pedal

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Deano, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Deano

    Deano Guest

    i dont know all the termioligy, but i have this problem on my bike. i was riding one day, but then i
    lost forward pedal power. there was no force stoping me from free pedaling. when i tried to pedal
    the pedal would go around with no resistance. it was like i was back pedaling.

    this happened miles from noware, it did start wokring again after i "talked" it into it :) i
    thought it as just something that happens, but it has happened again so i dont want to risk be
    stuck out in the bush

    i figure there is somthing broken with the back pedal mechaisim, how ever i have no idea what. any
    ideas? how should i go about fixing it, how much it should cost and all that sort of stuff?

    Tags:

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Deano" <[email protected]@yobo.com.au> writes:

    >i dont know all the termioligy, but i have this problem on my bike. i was riding one day, but then
    >i lost forward pedal power. there was no force stoping me from free pedaling. when i tried to pedal
    >the pedal would go around with no resistance. it was like i was back pedaling.
    >
    >this happened miles from noware, it did start wokring again after i "talked" it into it :) i
    >thought it as just something that happens, but it has happened again so i dont want to risk be
    >stuck out in the bush
    >
    >i figure there is somthing broken with the back pedal mechaisim, how ever i have no idea what. any
    >ideas? how should i go about fixing it, how much it should cost and all that sort of stuff?

    Since it responded to the pep talk it's possible that your freehub needs to be cleaned and
    lubricated. Are you riding Shimano? These can be opened up and cleaned, check Sheldon Brown's web
    site, it may have detailed instructions (if it doesn't it's probably on the way).

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:51:21 +1000, Deano <[email protected]@yobo.com.au> wrote:
    > stoping me from free pedaling. when i tried to pedal the pedal would go around with no resistance.
    > it was like i was back pedaling.
    >
    > this happened miles from noware, it did start wokring again after i "talked" it into it :) i
    > thought it as just something that happens, but it has happened again so i dont want to risk be
    > stuck out in the bush

    Further, it can be painful to put your weight into it and it just goes free...

    > i figure there is somthing broken with the back pedal mechaisim, how ever have no idea what. any
    > ideas? how should i go about fixing it, how much should cost and all that sort of stuff?

    You either have an older "freewheel" or a newer "freehub + cassette" system.

    I had a bike with a freewheel with the same problem; I just replaced the freehweel and it took care
    of itself.

    While riding, if it happens again, try jiggling the shifter for the rear; when I had that problem,
    it seemed to get better after shifting or almost-shifting; as if something was loose inside the
    freewheel.

    Freewheels and freehubs are explained at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Deano" <[email protected]@yobo.com.au> writes:

    > i dont know all the termioligy, but i have this problem on my bike. i was riding one day, but then
    > i lost forward pedal power. there was no force stoping me from free pedaling. when i tried to
    > pedal the pedal would go around with no resistance. it was like i was back pedaling.

    My worst ever bicycle crash happened that way. I was cycling along a narrow road in Orkney, and
    there was a car approaching from ahead and a truck approaching from behind. Up ahead the road
    widened a bit where there would be room for them to pass me, so I sprinted to get there... and the
    gear slipped out, my foot slipped off the pedal and hit the front wheel, the bike landed in one
    ditch, I landed in the other, and the truck and car wooshed by in between.

    This was a four speed hub gear, and under sprinting pressure it just slipped out of gear.

    I don't know the cause of your problem but if I were you I would treat it as potentially lethal and
    get it fixed soonest. Take it to your nearest LBS.

    ;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. ;; Jim Morrison