Back problems/glucosamine



Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
I've been having lower back pain for the last 6 months and it tends to go on and off. I'm honestly not sure whether the bent-over position on my bike has irritated my back or whether the injury is related to years of intensive work in other sports.
I'm getting a little older as I'm approaching 40. Given that the climate over here is awful and damp, I suppose aches and pains are bound to arise. My problem is can I get rid of this lumbar pain and am I the only person to have it creep on? I never normally have back-pain.
This isn't what you might call a sudden injury since it began as a dull aching in the lumbar region. I've tried massage and experimented with back-work such as hyper-extensions off a bench to try and stretch out the lumbar region. Initially this worked to a certain degree but didn't make much difference later on.
I tried resting from all athletic work and the back pain eased. However, it crept back as I resumed my sports. I'm now going to try high doses of glucosamine and mobility exercises.
Do I need to experiment with my bike-seat, wear some sort of padding or is there anything else that might help deal with the problem. Also has anyone found glucosamine helpful with regard to injuries. Regards, Carrera
 

jstraw

New Member
Jan 16, 2004
205
0
0
62
The two things that have helped my back the most are LOTS of stretching, and using the Cybex machine that works the back, significantly strengthening the muscles in the lumbar region.
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
What's a cybex machine? Is it like a hyperextension with a machine? Did you get rid of your back problem eventually?

Originally posted by jstraw
The two things that have helped my back the most are LOTS of stretching, and using the Cybex machine that works the back, significantly strengthening the muscles in the lumbar region.
 

lumpy

New Member
Oct 22, 2003
513
1
0
What helps me is lots of abdominal work to support the spine, and stretching my hamstrings a lot. Moving the handlebars up and back helps me too.

good luck,
Tim
 

Robert Gardner

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
34
0
0
101
I have had back problems off and on over the years. I have never found biking bad on my back. At one point I was off of the bike for six months when the problem was so bad that I could not lift my leg to get on the bike. I think a good set of back execises is the best remidy for back problems. I went through the glucosamine thing for a long time and I think that was a waste of my money. Try dropping your other activities, but keep on biking. If that does not releave the back, maybe there is something wrong with your bike fit.
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
I have my seat raised quite high as it seemed it was too low in the past. I don't feel I'm overstretching my legs on the down-peddle but maybe I'll try lowering it an inch.




Originally posted by Robert Gardner
I have had back problems off and on over the years. I have never found biking bad on my back. At one point I was off of the bike for six months when the problem was so bad that I could not lift my leg to get on the bike. I think a good set of back execises is the best remidy for back problems. I went through the glucosamine thing for a long time and I think that was a waste of my money. Try dropping your other activities, but keep on biking. If that does not releave the back, maybe there is something wrong with your bike fit.
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
I have my seat raised quite high as it seemed it was too low in the past. I don't feel I'm overstretching my legs on the down-peddle but maybe I'll try lowering it an inch.




Originally posted by Robert Gardner
I have had back problems off and on over the years. I have never found biking bad on my back. At one point I was off of the bike for six months when the problem was so bad that I could not lift my leg to get on the bike. I think a good set of back execises is the best remidy for back problems. I went through the glucosamine thing for a long time and I think that was a waste of my money. Try dropping your other activities, but keep on biking. If that does not releave the back, maybe there is something wrong with your bike fit.
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
Has anybody ever experienced pain in the testicles during training? I had this experience today and it kind of worried me a little. My back has gotten much better and I've been pain free for a while. I was doing some squats in the gym when I felt a mild pain around the testicles, as if caused by strain. However, I had only been squatting at 70% effort and well within my means.
I ended up deciding not to push my luck and quit the exercise. I've squatted for almost 20 years and have never had this kind of reaction. It's a bit like the sort of feeling you get through a virus when coughing becomes troublesome.
There seems to be no serious injury as it went off 15 minutes later but I took it as a warning that I should stop the exercise.
Anybody know what it might mean? To me it sounds like a bit of strain and maybe I need to lay off squats for a while just in case.



Originally posted by Robert Gardner
I have had back problems off and on over the years. I have never found biking bad on my back. At one point I was off of the bike for six months when the problem was so bad that I could not lift my leg to get on the bike. I think a good set of back execises is the best remidy for back problems. I went through the glucosamine thing for a long time and I think that was a waste of my money. Try dropping your other activities, but keep on biking. If that does not releave the back, maybe there is something wrong with your bike fit.
 

Pete G

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
3
0
0
Originally posted by Carrera
I have my seat raised quite high as it seemed it was too low in the past. I don't feel I'm overstretching my legs on the down-peddle but maybe I'll try lowering it an inch.

Don't move it more than a few mm at a time, also beware of having it too low again as that can cause knee problems.
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
Maybe. I know someone who had a hernia and he couldn't do sports at all since surgery followed. He was in real pain all of the time and this isn't exactly the same situation as my own. My own symptoms tend to occur if I'm a little run down through work and try to train regardless. In such cases, I just have to heed the warning sign and stop. It's just a mild pain so it may be basic rupture.


Originally posted by patch70
Could be a hernia.
 

ruckscd

New Member
Mar 16, 2004
21
0
0
41
Originally posted by Carrera
I've been having lower back pain for the last 6 months and it tends to go on and off. I'm honestly not sure whether the bent-over position on my bike has irritated my back or whether the injury is related to years of intensive work in other sports.
I'm getting a little older as I'm approaching 40. Given that the climate over here is awful and damp, I suppose aches and pains are bound to arise. My problem is can I get rid of this lumbar pain and am I the only person to have it creep on? I never normally have back-pain.
This isn't what you might call a sudden injury since it began as a dull aching in the lumbar region. I've tried massage and experimented with back-work such as hyper-extensions off a bench to try and stretch out the lumbar region. Initially this worked to a certain degree but didn't make much difference later on.
I tried resting from all athletic work and the back pain eased. However, it crept back as I resumed my sports. I'm now going to try high doses of glucosamine and mobility exercises.
Do I need to experiment with my bike-seat, wear some sort of padding or is there anything else that might help deal with the problem. Also has anyone found glucosamine helpful with regard to injuries. Regards, Carrera

Unfortunately some of us are just prone to bad backs. I am 23 years old and i stated having trouble last bike season. I thought it was because i was riding more than usual so i blew it off. it still bothered me when i started traning for this season. my advise go to the doctor. they found that i have a fractured vertebrate and a degenerated disc. they showed me several exercises that have helped my back a ton
 

Aztec

New Member
Jul 8, 2003
835
0
0
I've had minor back trouble for 20+ years (38 now). A few years back I got sloppy deadlifting and injured myself badly enough to be grounded for weeks. MRI revealed 2 degenerated disks that I had forgotten about when examined when I was about 20. Whoops.

I have strength-trained off and on, specifically for the lower back. Squatting always worsened a nagging ache, especially if I stand a lot. Chopping that out helped (I went to hip belt squatting instead, kind of like squatting with a dip/chin belt for weight). You might look into that.

The bike has NOT bothered my back, despite riding with a relatively large drop between saddle and bars (approx 5-9cm, depending on which bike).

Best cures for me seem to be not loading weight into my spine (i.e., no more conventional squatting), avoiding long standing times, good form when using my low back, and stretching my hams. I think there may be some use to REVERSE hyperextensions (I bought one), and possibly glute/ham raises.
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
My back problem has basically been solved - which is good since it has lasted for some 7 months. Here is what I did:
(1)I started taking glucosamine but I confess I have had unusual pain in my shoulder joints as a side effect (with some tendon pain in the forearm, although none of this has caused problems while training).
(2)I started squatting and cycling with a weight-lifting belt. However, I have attempted to do some of my lighter squats with no belt at all. I never needed a belt in the past but now I'm older I find it has its uses.
(3)I stopped doing standing presses but now do them with back support.
(4) I started doing a few situps.
I'm cycling again with plenty of moderate hill-climbing and standing up out of the seat. My back is fine but I think time has been a factor. With most injuries, people usually tend to recover if the injured area is kept strong and supple.
I'll just have to be careful of warming up more in future so hopefully I'll be on the mend. I'm looking forward to enjoying some time on my bike and getting in shape for Summer.



Originally posted by Aztec
I've had minor back trouble for 20+ years (38 now). A few years back I got sloppy deadlifting and injured myself badly enough to be grounded for weeks. MRI revealed 2 degenerated disks that I had forgotten about when examined when I was about 20. Whoops.

I have strength-trained off and on, specifically for the lower back. Squatting always worsened a nagging ache, especially if I stand a lot. Chopping that out helped (I went to hip belt squatting instead, kind of like squatting with a dip/chin belt for weight). You might look into that.

The bike has NOT bothered my back, despite riding with a relatively large drop between saddle and bars (approx 5-9cm, depending on which bike).

Best cures for me seem to be not loading weight into my spine (i.e., no more conventional squatting), avoiding long standing times, good form when using my low back, and stretching my hams. I think there may be some use to REVERSE hyperextensions (I bought one), and possibly glute/ham raises.
 

jbzy

New Member
Apr 3, 2004
10
0
0
I did start using glucosamine w/msm for my knees and it worked and to think about it --- it alleviated some back pain i was having. But let your doctor knwo you are taking it cause everyone I talk to it raised there blood pressure but hell to me it is worth it but mine only raised a few points but i just got a new bike so I am happy lol, that may be it but seriously just keep an eye on it
 

Cowboyathlete

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
165
0
0
60
Originally posted by Carrera
I've been having lower back pain for the last 6 months and it tends to go on and off. I'm honestly not sure whether the bent-over position on my bike has irritated my back or whether the injury is related to years of intensive work in other sports.
I'm getting a little older as I'm approaching 40. Given that the climate over here is awful and damp, I suppose aches and pains are bound to arise. My problem is can I get rid of this lumbar pain and am I the only person to have it creep on? I never normally have back-pain.
This isn't what you might call a sudden injury since it began as a dull aching in the lumbar region. I've tried massage and experimented with back-work such as hyper-extensions off a bench to try and stretch out the lumbar region. Initially this worked to a certain degree but didn't make much difference later on.
I tried resting from all athletic work and the back pain eased. However, it crept back as I resumed my sports. I'm now going to try high doses of glucosamine and mobility exercises.
Do I need to experiment with my bike-seat, wear some sort of padding or is there anything else that might help deal with the problem. Also has anyone found glucosamine helpful with regard to injuries. Regards, Carrera
I would sugges that you try everything you have mentioned. The one thing I would add is a regular, liberal usage of Ben Gay or Therapeutic Mineral Ice. The smell of the menthol may be strong but it definitely helps my lower back (and hamstrings and knees) loosen up before a ride some days! I use glucosamine and chondroitin but do not notice much difference, so when my supply runs out I will stop. It seems to benefit those with arthritis more than those with sports related strains.
 

jbzy

New Member
Apr 3, 2004
10
0
0
Originally posted by Cowboyathlete
I would sugges that you try everything you have mentioned. The one thing I would add is a regular, liberal usage of Ben Gay or Therapeutic Mineral Ice. The smell of the menthol may be strong but it definitely helps my lower back (and hamstrings and knees) loosen up before a ride some days! I use glucosamine and chondroitin but do not notice much difference, so when my supply runs out I will stop. It seems to benefit those with arthritis more than those with sports related strains.

I would agree with cowboy i had bad arthritis from my knee injury and i still get strains but i use this menthol leniment my dad mixes up lol stuff is the smelliest **** in the world your kids and spouse wont come around you but the pain leaves lol
 

Routier

New Member
Aug 28, 2003
30
0
0
35
I've got the exact same problems as you've got. Lower back pain. It only starts when I'm racing in competition and when it goes really fast. I took an X-ray of my back and nothings wrong, I even did a CT scan and still nothing could be found. My position on my bike is perfect but the back still hurts. I've got a few exercises from someone who's into kiné and normally they should help. I'm just to darn lazy to preform them every day... DAMN