back tire feels like it's slipping ?

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
Is there anything else to worry about with the back tire slipping?

I have 100psi in my tires. I don't know if it's only when I ride through small groves in the rode but it feels like the back is slipping out from underneath me. My buddy was riding behind me and noticed it, he asked if I was skidding, I told him I wasn't sure but it sure made me nervous.

The roads were dry and clean so I'm not sure what's happening. I checked my back tire, the quick release is tight, the tire is mounted on the rim properly. Any ideas?

Swap tires front to back. Check again... although I can't see that being the cause.

Was the back wheel in straight?

Take out the back wheel and check that the axle isn't broken. Take the wheel out the bike and remove the QR skewer. I've had an axle (Dura Ace 7400) break and wonder why the bike was handling odd and why things seemed harder than they should have been.

If that isn't it, with the back wheel out, check the rear triangle of the frame. Gently squeeze the chainstays together and check for cracks etc...

Guessing here, but if you're sitting with all your weight firmly on the seat, then sometimes small dips or bumps will catch just right to bounce your body upward, bringing the bike with it and the rear tire slightly off the ground. If you're cornering when this happens then the back wheel will step out on you.

When cornering, try to take your body weight on your legs for shock absorption rather than letting it rest entirely on the seat. With practice, you can do this while remaining in the seated position and just loading your legs while your butt rests lightly on the seat.

frenchyge said:
Guessing here, but if you're sitting with all your weight firmly on the seat, then sometimes small dips or bumps will catch just right to bounce your body upward, bringing the bike with it and the rear tire slightly off the ground. If you're cornering when this happens then the back wheel will step out on you.

When cornering, try to take your body weight on your legs for shock absorption rather than letting it rest entirely on the seat. With practice, you can do this while remaining in the seated position and just loading your legs while your butt rests lightly on the seat.

This has only happened while riding in a straight line. I need to notice more closely but it may be from riding in grooves in the road. I'll check again tonight.

FWIW. When all other attempts to resolve a handling problem fail, check your bike's headset.

What sort of slipping? You said it was when you were going in a straight line, but what do you feel? Do the pedals race ahead for a few degrees as if the tire had lost traction, or is there a side to side or wobbly motion?

Something could be bent or broken on your frame if there's a wobbly feel. I would clean the thing off and check for cracks especially at the joints.

A loose seat, seat clamp, or seatpost clamp can make for a wobbly feel without necessarily being so loose that you can spin it around.

How big are your 100 psi tires?

gigemaggs99 said:
Is there anything else to worry about with the back tire slipping?

I have 100psi in my tires. I don't know if it's only when I ride through small groves in the rode but it feels like the back is slipping out from underneath me. My buddy was riding behind me and noticed it, he asked if I was skidding, I told him I wasn't sure but it sure made me nervous.

The roads were dry and clean so I'm not sure what's happening. I checked my back tire, the quick release is tight, the tire is mounted on the rim properly. Any ideas?

Hub adjust or broken axle?