Back to Biking: Need help narrowing down bikes (Hybrid/comfort)

stepone

Jul 10, 2007
Hey all,
I would like to get back to cycling, and I could really use some help selecting the right bike for me.

I am 6'0" @ 215lb. I plan on riding this bike on paved trails that are all around our house. My budget is around $300-350.

We went out last weekend and talked to some LBS and tried out the following:

2007 Trek 7.2 - Felt very light, but didnt have any shocks. Also LBS only had 17.5 frame, and they said I would probably want 20".

2007 GT Timberline (I think) - Felt ok, I wasnt really wow'd by this bike

2007 Giant Sedona DX - Felt heavy, didnt like sales guy :p

---------------------------------
So I went back online and saw that I probably would like the Trek 7XXX series bikes better, I am going to find a dealer that has them and ride them today.

But if I buy new, I can probably only afford a 7200 series bike (if I like them). I have found an 2006 7300 and a 2003 7500 both in the $350 range. Would you suggest I buy a newer lower-end bike, or an older middle range bike?

Is there any other bikes I should be looking at?

I too am looking at getting back in riding. Looking at same issues you are. I went to LBS and they sold me on Kona Dew or dew deluxe and Scott Sportster p5 or p4. I just need to decide what is important to me. I looked at trek and specialized and a few others and found I like the Kona or Scott better.

I am in a similar situation and I'm about to look at a Trek 7000, which I can get new for about $270. Do you think it's inferior to the 7200 or 7300? I'd like to save the additional $80 or so.

I ended up with the Kona Dew FS. Not my favorite color but everything else is perfect for me. for now at least.

outat3rd,

the 7200 will have better parts, like derailleurs for example, than the 7000. is it worth the 80? well do you plan on riding it or sitting it in the garage? if you want to ride quite a bit, go for the better parts. Cheap derailleurs can take the fun out of biking, they will not hold a tune as good as the better parts. back in the days bikes had friction shifters which didnt require much fumbling, as long as your limit screws were set properly.

i just bought my girlfriend a 7100 WSD, and it looks to be a good combination of value, and quality. It should last her a good long time before i have to buy her another (meaning more for me?)

stepone said:
Hey all,
I would like to get back to cycling, and I could really use some help selecting the right bike for me.

I was there two years ago. I started with an old Giant mountain bike and last year i bought a Giant Cypress DX (about $330, a hybrid design) it's really comfortable, front suspension, alum frame, light... the only things are: the shifters they are not smooth and the pedals are plastic but for the price they OK. if you are going to ride on flat terrain (paved and some trails) and not more than about 20-30 miles at a time with just a few hills I highly recommend it.

rparedes said:
stepone said:
Hey all,

I was there two years ago. I started with an old Giant mountain bike and last year i bought a Giant Cypress DX (about $330, a hybrid design) it's really comfortable, front suspension, alum frame, light... the only things are: the shifters they are not smooth and the pedals are plastic but for the price they OK. if you are going to ride on flat terrain (paved and some trails) and not more than about 20-30 miles at a time with just a few hills I highly recommend it.
They may have improved the Cypress DX. I bought mine earlier this year (07 model) and it shifts very well. I second your opinions otherwise. To get around the cheap pedals I swapped mind for SPD's Its a good bike for running around the neighborhool with my kids and on paved bike paths. And I've never had a flat, wish I could say that with regards to my road bike.

s
steve45 said:
They may have improved the Cypress DX. I bought mine earlier this year (07 model) and it shifts very well. I second your opinions otherwise. To get around the cheap pedals I swapped mind for SPD's Its a good bike for running around the neighborhool with my kids and on paved bike paths. And I've never had a flat, wish I could say that with regards to my road bike.
did u check out the Scott sportster line of bikes. they r pretty cool.