back wheel problems

fabiog

Dec 19, 2006
Hi all,

this is my first post here, i have recently aquired a mountain bike from a friends that has sat out in the **** weather for about 3 years and i am currently giving it a clean up etc it needs two new tyres and tubes the only problem is that i have taken off the back wheel but didnt pay attention to the way the washers were or how far into the catch the wheel sits before you tighten the nuts. i should have taken a photo before i stripped it down.

my favour is would anyone be willing to take a picture of their back wheel and email it to me so i could use it as reference. i dont want to ask some kid on the street if i could take a picture as that could lead to more serious trouble...

or explain how to put the back wheel on or a web site where i could see this. i havent been on a bike for about 12 years and cant wait to get back in the saddle

heres hoping....
fabio

washers go on the outside of the frame. are there any marks on the frame where the nuts for the wheel were?normally you can tell where to tighten them by the marks left when the nut was tightend. probably no help atall.:D

I agree that it is in the freehub. It may be a simple matter of the spring loaded Pawls not engaging the ratchet teeth in the freehub because the grease has become very hard. Before you spend any money get some 30wt oil and put it into the free hub spin thing around and leave it overnight on it's side with a rag underneath. Then try to pedal and ingage the pawls. You've got nothing to loose.