Back wheel slipping out of frame

Mister C

Dec 22, 2004
My back wheel keeps slipping out of the frame. Specifically, when I hit a bump the back wheel will sometimes slip out of the quick release mechanism. It does not slip out completely but does cause the wheel to become misaligned to the extent it rubs on the chainstays or brake pads. This has happened about 10 times now and is driving me nuts.

I have tried cranking up the tension of the quick release lever but I am afraid of breaking something. The tension is so high now that it takes nearly all my strength to release the lever. This can't be good but is the only I have found to reduce the occurences.

In case it matters, the bike is a 2004 Jamis Quest road bike. I commute about 26 miles one way on this bike using bike trails (Capital Crescent, Custis and W&OD for the Washingtonians out there) that sometimes get a little rough but should be ridable on a road bike.

Unless I find a solution I will need to get another bike for these trails and save my road bike for smooth roads. :(

Any ideas for fixing this problem?

Mister C said:
My back wheel keeps slipping out of the frame. Specifically, when I hit a bump the back wheel will sometimes slip out of the quick release mechanism. It does not slip out completely but does cause the wheel to become misaligned to the extent it rubs on the chainstays or brake pads. This has happened about 10 times now and is driving me nuts.

I have tried cranking up the tension of the quick release lever but I am afraid of breaking something. The tension is so high now that it takes nearly all my strength to release the lever. This can't be good but is the only I have found to reduce the occurences.

In case it matters, the bike is a 2004 Jamis Quest road bike. I commute about 26 miles one way on this bike using bike trails (Capital Crescent, Custis and W&OD for the Washingtonians out there) that sometimes get a little rough but should be ridable on a road bike.

Unless I find a solution I will need to get another bike for these trails and save my road bike for smooth roads. :(

Any ideas for fixing this problem?
Assuming the axel is not too long for the dropouts,get a differnet or better QR.Sheldon Brown has the skinny on them at www.harriscyclery.com

boudreaux said:
Assuming the axel is not too long for the dropouts,get a differnet or better QR.Sheldon Brown has the skinny on them at www.harriscyclery.com
Thanks boudreaux.

The axel is stock so I assume it is not too long for the dropouts.

Maybe I can try replacing the axel nut rather than the whole QR. The knurls on the nut face could be stripped from slipping out so much.

Mister C said:
Thanks boudreaux.

The axel is stock so I assume it is not too long for the dropouts.

Maybe I can try replacing the axel nut rather than the whole QR. The knurls on the nut face could be stripped from slipping out so much.
Get some star shaped lock nuts to put between the axel nuts and the dropouts. Every time the wheel slips it wears away at the dropout, and after a while the two faces are no longer parallel. The droput sits between the qr and axel nut more like a wedge than a block. When you tighten the qr, it's trying to squirt the dropout out the back. It doesn't matter how good or tight your qr's are, they aren't going to grip without some extra help.

artmichalek said:
Get some star shaped lock nuts to put between the axel nuts and the dropouts. Every time the wheel slips it wears away at the dropout, and after a while the two faces are no longer parallel. The droput sits between the qr and axel nut more like a wedge than a block. When you tighten the qr, it's trying to squirt the dropout out the back. It doesn't matter how good or tight your qr's are, they aren't going to grip without some extra help.
Excellent advice artmichalek. I will try using a lock nut. I suppose any lock nut that fits would do.

Thanks for your time.

Mister C said:
I suppose any lock nut that fits would do.
You'll probably have better luck with the stamped star type ones than the split washer variety. They're thinner and bite into the aluminum better.