Back wheel stolen

nickid

Sep 1, 2005
:(
I've had my back wheel stolen on NYE - not a great way to ring 2006 in. After a couple of days of ignoring the problem, I've just rang the bike shop. They reckon it will cost $200 to get it replaced. Can this be right?
Does anybody have any advice on an alternative. I am a student, so I'd appreciate a cheap alternative. Can I replace it myself, is there a cheap place in Sydney etc...

OK, slow down, don't panic.

What is the bike? Road, MTB? Brand? Model? Speeds Cassette or spin on? Tyre?

Someone reading may have one that fits.

Do you have contents insurance?

gclark8 said:
OK, slow down, don't panic.

What is the bike? Road, MTB? Brand? Model? Speeds Cassette or spin on? Tyre?

Someone reading may have one that fits.

Do you have contents insurance?

Thanks for replying. It's a Mongoose Switchback Mountain Bike, bought in 1999. The tyre is 26" by 1.95". The gears are Shimano Altus - 21 speed. I think that is a speeds cassette.No insurance

OK, we ae looking for a 26" MTB wheel, 135mm drop out, 7 speed spin on cartridge, and a suitable tyre.

These replacement wheels come from BiCorp and other wholsalers around $50-75,
a replacement spin on (MF-HG50 11-13-15-18-21-24-28) from Shimano, $40-50,
tyre and tube, $15-25.
However many of the readers will have old ones in the shed, I gave one away last year!

gclark8 said:
OK, we ae looking for a 26" MTB wheel, 135mm drop out, 7 speed spin on cartridge, and a suitable tyre.

These replacement wheels come from BiCorp and other wholsalers around $50-75,
a replacement spin on (MF-HG50 11-13-15-18-21-24-28) from Shimano, $40-50,
tyre and tube, $15-25.
However many of the readers will have old ones in the shed, I gave one away last year!

George, thanks for your help. Its been real useful. I've been hunting around for these things in the Trading Post/ ebay, and I'm sure I'll be up and riding soon

Ta

nickid said:
:(
I've had my back wheel stolen on NYE - not a great way to ring 2006 in. After a couple of days of ignoring the problem, I've just rang the bike shop. They reckon it will cost $200 to get it replaced. Can this be right?
Does anybody have any advice on an alternative. I am a student, so I'd appreciate a cheap alternative. Can I replace it myself, is there a cheap place in Sydney etc...
Try your LBS - they may have old/2nd hand spares out the back that they'd be willing to sell for next to nothing.

I busted a 26" front wheel on a beater bike and went to my LBS (Bike Barn Liverpool), and they were able to give me a 2nd hand one for $15 - tyre, tube and rim. A rear would be a bit more expensive (with cassette and such), but for a second hand piece, you could luck out at about $50-$60, or maybe even less.

If your LBS doesn't have anything that suits, (since you're in Sydney) try calling Russell at BB Livo, and see if he's got something.

HTH,

nerdag

Nick,

I agree it looks ike the go. Melbourne is a bit far though. Put $11.00 on it... :D

nickid said:
After a couple of days of ignoring the problem

Sorry, you've lost me. I've ridden my bike without a front derallier, without brakes, even without a seat. How exactly does one just ignore a missing back wheel though? :).

they recon it will cost $200 to replace!
does that come with gold plated rim with a bullet proof tyre and self in flating tube fitted for two hundered bucks,id avoid that bike shop