Backpack or Messenger bag for commuting?

Nlaplaca wrote:
> I am going to start commuting to work next week when I get my lights and
> other supplies for my bike. It's a 26 mile commute. I was looking for a
> backpack on performancebike and noticed messenger bags from timbuk2. Is this
> a better option? I don't feel like putting a rack or pannier on my bike.
>
> Initially I thought I would just stash things at work but at some point it
> will probably easier to carry the things I will need. Just wondering what
> other commuters use to carry their items.
>
> Nick

Like most of the other replies, I recommend against a backpack. I use
one pannier and one cycling briefcase. My round trip mileage is 34
miles. The briefcase is from Ortlieb. It is sturdy and waterproof, but
I liked my old Performance briefcase better. Unfortunately, Performance
no longer makes one.

Also, I only carry back and forth what I need. I keep stuff at work,
such as shoes, so I'm not lugging them back and forth.

Arnie

those cheap "swap" backpacks that convert to panniers from nashbar work well
..
Dave

news:[email protected]...