Backpack verses Rack/Packs

bwcafishing

May 19, 2006
I did some searching but couldn't find a thread that addressed opinions on commuting with a backpack verses a rack. I have tried both on my 14 mile commute one way and prefer the rack method of storing my clothes. However, I was at the bike shop talking to a guy and he prefers the backpack to get the weight off of the bike. He said his bike performs better for him. He then showed me a camel back that was padded to let air through. Made me think perhaps I should revisit this with a more ergonomic backpack.

Anyone have opinions on this?

Thanks!!

I use a Pearl Izumi Velocipak. It does the same thing to vent air across my back as I commute, and has a ton of other cycling and commuter specific features. Mine has held up really well too over several years of constant use. It's definitely worth a look, and is easy to find on sale too.

BG2401.jpg

In contrast to bike shop guy, I find having the load on my rack more stable than having it on my back, esp. for out-of-saddle climbing. Maybe I just don't have a good backpack, but I disliked having the bag/contents shift around (even a little) on my back when I get off the saddle. Panniers and smart packing (heavy stuff low and forward) work great for me, and I haven't found a backpack or courier bag that really keeps my back cool and dry.

Oh, and not that I really plan on getting hit, but I also like that my panniers are a bit like bumpers. I got cut off by a left-turning van crossing my lane once and was hit from the left side. My left pannier (thank goodness not the one w/ the laptop!) took the hit, I kinda bounced off and miraculously managed to keep upright. I'm glad it was the poofy pannier and not my leg, frame, or wheel that took the impact.

I am intersted in this thread, as I am new to commuting to work. I am considering panniers but I think that perhaps they may look a lil silly on my road bike, and perhaps would throw my balance off. I have a REI backpack that is not cycling specific but works well. I am considering a cycling specified venting backpack. Whats your opinnions?

I can't comment on looks...I'm not terribly concerned about that. As for balance...

You'd be surprised...even a heavily loaded, single pannier won't really affect you while you're riding. I kinda like how my rear wheel doesn't slip when I'm climbing and the pavement gets bumpy. When you've stopped, you do have to be just the slightest bit more careful about the bike wanting to fall over a little more when tipped toward the pannier side, but only if you have a heavy load.

...plus, I just don't have much tolerance for arriving at the office with a sweaty back.

bwcafishing said:
I did some searching but couldn't find a thread that addressed opinions on commuting with a backpack verses a rack. I have tried both on my 14 mile commute one way and prefer the rack method of storing my clothes. However, I was at the bike shop talking to a guy and he prefers the backpack to get the weight off of the bike. He said his bike performs better for him. He then showed me a camel back that was padded to let air through. Made me think perhaps I should revisit this with a more ergonomic backpack.

Anyone have opinions on this?

Thanks!!
I have a Arkel Bug backpack/rackpack that I use for my daily 15 k commute and convert to a backpack for school. I have never had any problems with it, and you can't really feel it when you bike. Quite frankly, I don't understand people in my area who commute with backpacks. They must sweat a lot, since the humidity often is 80% and the temperature above 30 degrees celcius. It might be better in a colder climate, though.

I found Arkel to be the best choice of pannier when i shopped around because, A) the rack-fitting is made of aluminium and B) it is as durable as nothing i know of or will ever know of.

Hope this helps.

Panniers free up your back, but move the weight backwards.

Backpack keeps the weight cetred, but you end up with a sweaty back.

I use a backpack, its personal preference.

There is a big difference in comfort between cheap backpacks and quality backpacks, the quality ones tend to distribute the weight accross the shoulders and back much better and they last longer too. I'm using a mountain design laptop backpack.

I use a backpack, but have never had the chance (or bike mounts) to play with panniers. I believe I would use them if I had more things I needed to take to work i.e. laptop etc.

One plus of a backpack is once you are at work, lock the bike up and walk right in w/ your backpack as opposed to having to dismount/mount you panniers everytime. For those with cubicle side parking, not really an issue.

I use to run a Pearl Izumi Velocipak, but I pretty much ripped off the shoulder straps in a bike accident in Sun Valley Idaho. Although I liked the rain cover on this pack, I did not like that it would come loose on windy days and look like a Nascar drag-chute flailing behind me. Also it was a pretty limp pack so it didn't have much support or shape, especially in the back area.

I now have a Dana Designs pack (a hiking version) w/ about 2000ci space. It has a very firm backing that evenly distributes the load all across my back. I use a garbage back for an internal rain liner and I stole the reflective strips off my velocipak and sewed them on. Perfect commuting pack for me.

I guess it boils down to this for me; When a good backpack becomes uncomfortable, on when your gear is too much for a backpack, it's time for panniers.

One mentioned panniers being bumpers, so maybe a backpack could be spinal protection in the event of an accident or collision??

Beave

When I first started bicycle commuting I used a back pack, but I think that panniers are better. I use the Arkel GT-54. I like having the weight on the bicycle instead of on my back, and panniers allow me to carry a larger load. I sometimes do shopping on the way home from work. I often use a BOB trailer when I do the grocery shopping for my family, but panniers will do for smaller stuff.

The problem with panniers is that you may start to carry a bunch of extra stuff with you. I carry some tools and stuff for emergency repairs, but it is easy to let a lot of extra stuff accumulate.

Fatherzen said:
The problem with panniers is that you may start to carry a bunch of extra stuff with you. I carry some tools and stuff for emergency repairs, but it is easy to let a lot of extra stuff accumulate.

I had a guy at the lbs echo the same sentiment. He basically said the bigger the bag the more you're inclined to fill it. I was looking for a rack top bag at the time and was considering one of the Topeak models with expanding side pockets.
I now alternate between smallish Camelback, 30 litre backpack, Topeak MTX rack top bag and a pannier. Depends on what I need to take and which bike I'm using. I don't think, for me, that I've found my ideal method for commuting. Having said that, I do prefer to go without the backpack during summer but don't mind it in winter.

+1 on the Topeak. They have some incredible products. Many of their models just slide on, and clip in, just like that.

I rode with backpacks for a while, but I started developing a sore back and neck. Like others mentioned, I probably wasn't using a high-end pack. Even so, riding everyday with all that weight on my back got old. I'd never go back.

My son uses a backpack every day (pictured), but he's young, and it doesn't seem to bother him. So maybe you'd be OK, as long as you don't grow old.

121067095_dc5fd73a1b.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased an Arkel tail rider pack. It will be a tight squeeze to get my pants and shirt in there. But I think I will make due. I appreciate the post regardng the bigger the bag, the more stuff you bring. This will definitely help me stay lean on the packing. It goes on and off of my rear rack very easy. I live in Minnesota and plan on commuting again in April.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Kevin

bwcafishing said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased an Arkel tail rider pack. It will be a tight squeeze to get my pants and shirt in there. But I think I will make due. I appreciate the post regardng the bigger the bag, the more stuff you bring. This will definitely help me stay lean on the packing. It goes on and off of my rear rack very easy. I live in Minnesota and plan on commuting again in April.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Kevin
Mmmm, those Tail Riders are fantastic... Tremendously expandable, and that hidden rainfly is so handy. A little pricey, but I happily pay more for a well-designed product that's not a sweatshop job.

Well, I'm pushing 50 and I still use a backpack, a big Ogio one:
metro_chocolate_M.jpg

I agree that my bike handles better without the wieght on the rear wheel, it's more convenient in terms of leaving the bike behind at quick stops, and with the fly attached it takes much less of a beating from the rain and grit I regularly ride through. I'd also recommend a waistbelt and sternum strap.

Of course, I also have a 'bent, so my pack can easily strap to the seat back when I ride that frame, which makes a backpack far more universal for me.

Update - I have 600 miles on my bike from commuting so far this year and totally love the arkel tail rider pack. It is streamline, yet allows me to carries my clothes and basic toiletries. I have only had to use the integrated rainfly one time, but it sure came in hand. The pack is so light that I can hardly tell it is on the back of my bike and I am now averaging about 19mph on my rides,13 miles each way. With gas prices over $3 a gallon in MN it sure feels good to be riding in to work.