backwards cranks, backwards riding

ChangingLINKS.com

Guest
Today, I wanted to ride some miles backwards - the skill needs
improvement.

I rode .79 miles, and had to tighten the right pedal about 5 times.
Without thinking about it much, I rode home, and tried to switch the
pedals (reverse threading prevented the switch). Next, I switched the
cranks.

I tried to ride and got about 2 revs before a UPD.
Apparently, my Profile cranks are "krunk" (slightly bent in an undefined
way).

It took me 5 tries or so to be able to ride backwards. I am not sure if
the problem is in the pedals, the cranks or both.

I am wondering:
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Should I attempt to repair the problem in some way?

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Having ridden a bit (the last 150 miles or so) with slightly bent cranks
I think you just get used to it after a while. Reversing the cranks
means that each crank is effectively bent in a different way, so you'll
have to get used to it again. I expect you'll get used to it soon
though.

Just for future reference, might it have been easier to just swivel the
seat 180 degrees rather than swap cranks?

John

--
johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

johnhimsworth wrote:
> *Just for future reference, might it have been easier to just swivel
> the seat 180 degrees rather than swap cranks?
>
> John *

LOL.
Not in this case. My seat post has been *welded* to the frame for
various reasons. I do not intend to leave the cranks reversed - I am
just surprised that there has been some bending.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Perhaps your pedals are directional. Pedals with an offset
parallelogram design, like the 'Odyssey Jim Cielencki'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=726) pedals, would feel
weird if they were backwards. Pedals with the block design, like the
'Union' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=216) pedals,
wouldn't make any difference since they're symmetrical.

You could also try red Loctite to keep the pedals from loosening when
riding backwards. Clean out the threads and clean off the grease before
applying the Loctite.

How tight do the pedals thread in to the cranks? My muni pedals thread
in very tightly while some other pedals thread in much more easily. If
the pedals thread in too easily they would be more prone to getting
loose when riding backwards.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks John!
I am using Snafu pedals ($30 non-sealed bearing version).
My guess is that they are angled. I am hoping/glad that I had not bent
my cranks, because I haven`t gone that big yet.

I think that all I really needed to do was tighten the pedal harder -
though I am not sure. I have put the cranks back to normal.

--

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> *Thanks John!
> I am using Snafu pedals ($30 non-sealed bearing version).
> My guess is that they are angled. I am hoping/glad that I had not bent
> my cranks, because I haven`t gone that big yet.
>
> I think that all I really needed to do was tighten the pedal harder -
> though I am not sure. I have put the cranks back to normal. *

That's good.

I noticed that I posted something already said and you had a responce
too. I left this thread up after your first posted then later in the day
read it again and not hitting refresh posted so I didnt see the rest of
the thread. Sorry about that.

--
Tim - Jelly Bean Eater

Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)