Bacon problems

kalanamak

Guest

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:55:32 GMT, David Hare-Scott wrote:

>> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
>> symptoms?

Could this be your version of the headache-less migraine from the nitrates?
I get the nausea, the aura, etc. and about 80% of the time no headache.
Sometimes I get the sick feeling, no aura, then the HA. If I don't have
the aura or the HA, I don't feel confident enough to ascribe a bad
feeling to migraine, but it is possible.
(I remember the first time I had the aura. I was shopping, and in med
school, and I calmly thought "I'm either about to have a catastrophic
intracranial event or my first migraine", and went on checking out at
the hardware store. Got out to the car and WHAM: migraine.
P.s the aura looks like a ring of teeny black and white triangles all
dancing together. It slowly expands outward.)

I have a problem with bacon. Sometimes when I eat it (two rashers will do
the trick) I feel unwell soon afterwards. I feel slightly nauseas, giddy
and I can feel my pulse in my chest and head, this lasts for several hours.
I am not a sickly person or generally subject to allergies or reactions to
food. I thought that it could be:

1) the salt
2) the fat
3) preservative
4) flavour agent in the making of the bacon

I have tested the first two items and although I generally have a low salt,
low fat diet there are times when indulge in either or both and I do not
get the symptoms.

So the question is:

What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
symptoms?

David

David Hare-Scott wrote:

> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
> symptoms?

Not a good assumption. It could be the meat itself, not just the
additives.

In any case you'd be much better off asking a doctor instead
of a usenet group. Prepare for a lot of random guesswork, innuendo,
non sequitur stories about family pets, etc.

"David Hare-Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a problem with bacon. Sometimes when I eat it (two rashers will do
> the trick) I feel unwell soon afterwards. I feel slightly nauseas, giddy
> and I can feel my pulse in my chest and head, this lasts for several
> hours.
> I am not a sickly person or generally subject to allergies or reactions to
> food. I thought that it could be:
>
> 1) the salt
> 2) the fat
> 3) preservative
> 4) flavour agent in the making of the bacon
>
> I have tested the first two items and although I generally have a low
> salt,
> low fat diet there are times when indulge in either or both and I do not
> get the symptoms.
>
> So the question is:
>
> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
> symptoms?
>
> David

Nitrates? - pulse
Fat - nausea & gall bladder?
Salt - high blood pressure?
Sugar or maple in the curing? - disoriented?

Try a nitrate free, low salt, less sweetening bacon if you can find it and
see what this does for you? If you think it could be the fat, try eating
some vinegar-y type juice (pomegranate or cherry or cranberry) to cut the
fat and some dry toast when you eat it.
Dr. Dee

David Hare-Scott wrote:

> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known
> to produce such symptoms?

You could test the possibility that it's the nitrate
or nitrites by trying some bacon lacking those
additives. I don't know what's available where you
live, but around here I can get nitrate/nitrite-free
bacon at expensive grocery stores that cater to the
"natural foods" crown, such as Whole Foods.

You could test the possibility that it is salt
by soaking the bacon in water for several hours or
overnight (with a couple water changes) before cooking,
but that will also leach out the nitrate/nitrite and
probably a lot of flavor.

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> I have a problem with bacon. Sometimes when I eat it (two rashers will do
> the trick) I feel unwell soon afterwards. I feel slightly nauseas, giddy
> and I can feel my pulse in my chest and head, this lasts for several hours.
> I am not a sickly person or generally subject to allergies or reactions to
> food. I thought that it could be:
>
> 1) the salt
> 2) the fat
> 3) preservative
> 4) flavour agent in the making of the bacon
>
> I have tested the first two items and although I generally have a low salt,
> low fat diet there are times when indulge in either or both and I do not
> get the symptoms.
>
> So the question is:
>
> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
> symptoms?
>
> David

go for a walk, and relax, that might do the trick. best wishes.

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:55:32 GMT, David Hare-Scott wrote:

> I have a problem with bacon. Sometimes when I eat it (two rashers will do
> the trick) I feel unwell soon afterwards. I feel slightly nauseas, giddy
> and I can feel my pulse in my chest and head, this lasts for several hours.
> I am not a sickly person or generally subject to allergies or reactions to
> food. I thought that it could be:
>
> 1) the salt
> 2) the fat
> 3) preservative
> 4) flavour agent in the making of the bacon
>
> I have tested the first two items and although I generally have a low salt,
> low fat diet there are times when indulge in either or both and I do not
> get the symptoms.
>
> So the question is:
>
> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
> symptoms?

I don't know, but I can tell you it's one of the "stay away" foods for
gout, so leave it alone if it's talking back to you.

sf wrote:

> leave it alone if it's talking back to you.

Good advice.

Reg wrote:
> David Hare-Scott wrote:
>
> > What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
> > symptoms?

> Not a good assumption. It could be the meat itself, not just the
> additives.

Exactly what I was thinking... he already said he hasn't had that
treaction from other
cured meats. But someone who considers just two rashers of bacon
sufficient in all likelihood keeps an opened package of bacon in the
fridge a looooong, loooooong time.

> In any case you'd be much better off asking a doctor instead
> of a usenet group. Prepare for a lot of random guesswork, innuendo,
> non sequitur stories about family pets, etc.

I doubt a doctor will be of much help unless he goes to the ER during
an episode.

I'm pretty certain it's spoiled bacon. Once that package is opened
it's got to be consumed within a week to ten days... and don't handle
it with unwashed hands. People somehow think that cured means
preserved, and that preserved means immune from spoilage. NOT!

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

But someone who considers just two rashers of bacon
> sufficient in all likelihood keeps an opened package of bacon in the
> fridge a looooong, loooooong time.

Not necessarily. You can open the package, take out 2 rashers and freeze
the rest. Or, at most delis, supermarket deli counters, and butchers here
bacon is sold by weight. You can buy 2 rashers at a time if you want.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

But someone who considers just two rashers of bacon
> sufficient in all likelihood keeps an opened package of bacon in the
> fridge a looooong, loooooong time.

Not necessarily. You can open the package, take out 2 rashers and freeze
the rest. Or, at most delis, supermarket deli counters, and butchers here
bacon is sold by weight. You can buy 2 rashers at a time if you want.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Hare-Scott wrote:
>
> > What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce

such
> > symptoms?

> Not a good assumption. It could be the meat itself, not just the
> additives.

I have no problem with pork in general.

David

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce

such
> > symptoms?
> >

> I don't know, but I can tell you it's one of the "stay away" foods for
> gout, so leave it alone if it's talking back to you.
> --

I know that's the simple answer but the effect is so irregular so I suspect
there is something in some bacon but not all bacon. I am going to check out
the nitrate/nitrite aspect and see what comes up.

David

"Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> But someone who considers just two rashers of bacon
> > sufficient in all likelihood keeps an opened package of bacon in the
> > fridge a looooong, loooooong time.
> >

> Not necessarily. You can open the package, take out 2 rashers and freeze
> the rest. Or, at most delis, supermarket deli counters, and butchers here
> bacon is sold by weight. You can buy 2 rashers at a time if you want.
>
> --

Quite so. Maybe I could get some excercise by jumping to conclusions too?
However you have to do it in public for it to count, so I will pass.

David

In article <[email protected]>,
"David Hare-Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a problem with bacon. Sometimes when I eat it (two rashers will do
> the trick) I feel unwell soon afterwards. I feel slightly nauseas, giddy
> and I can feel my pulse in my chest and head, this lasts for several hours.
> I am not a sickly person or generally subject to allergies or reactions to
> food. I thought that it could be:
>
> 1) the salt
> 2) the fat
> 3) preservative
> 4) flavour agent in the making of the bacon
>
> I have tested the first two items and although I generally have a low salt,
> low fat diet there are times when indulge in either or both and I do not
> get the symptoms.
>
> So the question is:
>
> What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
> symptoms?

Look on the ingredients list on the package.

Does this effect happen with different brands of bacon or only one
particular brand?

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a problem with bacon. Sometimes when I eat it (two rashers will do
>the trick) I feel unwell soon afterwards. I feel slightly nauseas, giddy
>and I can feel my pulse in my chest and head, this lasts for several hours.
>I am not a sickly person or generally subject to allergies or reactions to
>food. I thought that it could be:

(snip)

>So the question is:
>
>What substances are used in making bacon and are any known to produce such
>symptoms?

Do you react to other lunchmeats? ie. ham and salami etc. Bacon is
chock full of nitrates, but so is lunchmeat... I can't eat very much
of it at a time or I get palpitations and feel like my heart's racing.
I get the same reaction from MSG...

Bacon isn't exactly what I'd call a 'healthful' food, so it really
won't hurt you if you cut it out of your diet altogether. You just
won't be able to have a nice carbonara!

Oh, and almost all American bacon is so incredibly salty that I either
can't eat it at all, or have had enough after a rasher or two. The
'reduced sodium' bacon is almost as bad as the regular kind, but we
found a place that makes their own bacon and it's much less salty so
we usually get that.

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life