Bad blood: Cyclist Hamilton mad that suspension upheld

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
Boulder-based cyclist Tyler Hamilton's ban from cycling was upheld
Saturday when the Court of Arbitration for Sport turned down his
appeal, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced.

Hamilton, who placed fourth in the 2003 Tour de France and won a gold
medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics, will not be eligible until Sept.
22, when he'll be 35. He will have been out racing two years.

"Now it's official," Hamilton told The Denver Post from his Boulder
home. "I'm suspended. An innocent athlete sits at home."

Hamilton maintained his innocence despite CAS' ruling from
deliberations after 12 hours of hearings in Denver last month.

The former University of Colorado skier was initially suspended in
September 2004 at the Tour of Spain for blood doping, in which one
person's blood is inserted into another's system to gain more oxygen
through the additional red blood cells.

Hamilton's major argument was a theory, supported by some in the
medical field, called "a vanishing twin." He and his scientific
experts testified that he had different blood created from a twin who
died in his mother's womb.

"The panel considered each of the excuses and found each to be
completely without merit," USADA CEO Terry Madden said in a statement.
"It is sad that Mr. Hamilton resorted to conspiracy theories rather
than just accept the consequences of his doping."

Read it at http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3500254

J. Spaceman

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just wondering, some news articles say that Hamilton's suspension ends
> on Sept. 22/2006. Others (see for example
> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/02/12/hamilton.appeal.ap/)
> say he won't be able to race again until April 2007, since his
> suspension didn't begin until April 2005. Which date is correct?

2006 as per the CAS decision. If the ProTour folds he could be with a major
team and in the Tour by 2007. With autologus blood doping, he could be
highly competitive. Look out George.

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> Boulder-based cyclist Tyler Hamilton's ban from cycling was upheld
> Saturday when the Court of Arbitration for Sport turned down his
> appeal, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced.
>
> Hamilton, who placed fourth in the 2003 Tour de France and won a gold
> medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics, will not be eligible until Sept.
> 22, when he'll be 35. He will have been out racing two years.
>
> "Now it's official," Hamilton told The Denver Post from his Boulder
> home. "I'm suspended. An innocent athlete sits at home."
>
> Hamilton maintained his innocence despite CAS' ruling from
> deliberations after 12 hours of hearings in Denver last month.
>
> The former University of Colorado skier was initially suspended in
> September 2004 at the Tour of Spain for blood doping, in which one
> person's blood is inserted into another's system to gain more oxygen
> through the additional red blood cells.
>
> Hamilton's major argument was a theory, supported by some in the
> medical field, called "a vanishing twin." He and his scientific
> experts testified that he had different blood created from a twin who
> died in his mother's womb.
>
> "The panel considered each of the excuses and found each to be
> completely without merit," USADA CEO Terry Madden said in a statement.
> "It is sad that Mr. Hamilton resorted to conspiracy theories rather
> than just accept the consequences of his doping."
>
> Read it at http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3500254
>

> J. Spaceman

Occasionally I wish I had a vanishing twin.

Steve

> "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Just wondering, some news articles say that Hamilton's suspension ends
>> on Sept. 22/2006. Others (see for example
>> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/02/12/hamilton.appeal.ap/)
>> say he won't be able to race again until April 2007, since his
>> suspension didn't begin until April 2005. Which date is correct?

> 2006 as per the CAS decision. If the ProTour folds he could be with a
> major team and in the Tour by 2007. With autologus blood doping, he could
> be highly competitive. Look out George.

It must be really creepy to be such a coward as Lafferty.

Funny, he just wrote the same thing last week. Anyone seen him since?