Bad crash

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Smith, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Andy Smith

    Andy Smith Guest

    I had a pretty bad crash (for me) this afternoon. I was joining a cycle path that had a very
    slightly raised kerb, even though it shared the pavment. I don't usually go for cycle paths often,
    but this one has a good surface. As I moved to join, the front wheel struck (I think) I swerved,
    lost the front wheel (?! QR, but fastened *very* securely), landed on the forks, and went over the
    bars. Thankfully my leather mits saved my hands, but I picked up a couple of grazes.

    The chrome forks (Reynolds 531) have been bent 45 degrees out on the one side, the front wheel rim
    is a dead loss, and my bike is pretty knackered. It's going to need a new fork, stem, wheel, etc. So
    I figure I may as well direct this money into a newer bike as this one is kind of old compared to
    the newer ones around today.

    This brings me to the question; I'm on a tight budget (student) and I need a racer bike. I was
    already after one for uni commuting, but now I need my primary transport back, too. Any good shops
    that will do a decent (not groundbreaking, let's be fair) bike for 250-300 (maybe a little more!) &
    deliver (UK Mainland)? Or what shops will deal secondhand? So far, deesidecycles second hand page
    looks good, but the goods are mostly marked as sold.

    I'm pretty shocked at the damage, and I'd never go on a cycle path again. I've done a few thousand
    miles in total, and 99% of that has been on roads, and trouble-free. Oh, the irony :(

    If cycle paths that share pavements really have to exist, putting a shallow & deceptive kerb on
    them, where the real height can easily be masked by dirt cannot be good practice whatsoever. I'd
    have a white line, as from my experience, the kerb serves no purpose, not even keeping pedestrians
    off it. The council *needs* to know this.

    Thanks for your replies!

    --
    Andy

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy Smith wrote:
    > The chrome forks (Reynolds 531) have been bent 45 degrees out on the one side, the front wheel rim
    > is a dead loss, and my bike is pretty knackered. It's going to need a new fork, stem, wheel, etc.
    > So I figure I may as well direct this money into a newer bike as this one is kind of old compared
    > to the newer ones around today.
    >
    > This brings me to the question; I'm on a tight budget (student) and I need a racer bike. I was
    > already after one for uni commuting, but now I need my primary transport back, too. Any good shops
    > that will do a decent (not groundbreaking, let's be fair) bike for 250-300 (maybe a little more!)
    > & deliver (UK Mainland)? Or what shops will deal secondhand? So far, deesidecycles second hand
    > page looks good, but the goods are mostly marked as sold.

    eBay or the mag ads might be useful if you're clued up about what size and spec you need.

    But I woud not completely discount the idea of rebuilding your bike. Rim can be replaced without
    having to get a whole new wheel; new forks needn't be very expensive. See bike shops and SJS Cycles
    for steel forks, and Xpedia, Parker International, etc for carbons.

    I've at long last started the process of doing up my "hack" tourer bike. It is an expensive business
    but then so is buying a new bike.

    Sorry to hear about the crash. I know what that kind of shock feels like. You'll be back!
    ...Probably with a better bike, one way or the other.

    I take /all/ curbs like a complete granny ever since having a few mishaps with them as a kid.

    ~PB

  3. Andy Smith

    Andy Smith Guest

    I was contemplating fixing the bike, however, the forks/headset are pretty well stuck in place; and
    now the screw from the stem has sheared. I've never done this before, so I'm sketchy on the part
    names :) All in all.. it's pretty stuck, and sawing seems to be the only way to go; if I want to go
    that way of course. I think this would be a good opportunity to replace a fairly old bike, but it's
    still disappointing to see it end up like this.

    As for new bikes, I first saw the Barracuda stuff; got put off by reading what people had said, and
    now I'm looking at a reasonably priced Fausto Coppi. Any comments on the Gavia? I'm prepared to go
    for the Sora parts, after reading some reviews of them from other bikers on www.roadbikereview.com,
    however I would be interested on feedback on the bike as a whole.

    Thanks for the SJS pointer; looks very useful.

    Any other mags that would be good for secondhand ads apart from Cycling weekly?

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Andy Smith wrote:
    > > The chrome forks (Reynolds 531) have been bent 45 degrees out on the one side, the front wheel
    > > rim is a dead loss, and my bike is pretty knackered. It's going to need a new fork, stem, wheel,
    > > etc. So I figure I may as well direct this money into a newer bike as this one is kind of old
    > > compared to the newer ones around today.
    > >
    > > This brings me to the question; I'm on a tight budget (student) and I need a racer bike. I was
    > > already after one for uni commuting, but now I need my primary transport back, too. Any good
    > > shops that will do a decent (not groundbreaking, let's be fair) bike for 250-300 (maybe a little
    > > more!) & deliver (UK Mainland)? Or what shops will deal secondhand? So far, deesidecycles second
    > > hand page looks good, but the goods are mostly marked as sold.
    >
    > eBay or the mag ads might be useful if you're clued up about what size and spec you need.
    >
    > But I woud not completely discount the idea of rebuilding your bike. Rim can be replaced without
    > having to get a whole new wheel; new forks needn't be very expensive. See bike shops and SJS
    > Cycles for steel forks, and Xpedia, Parker International, etc for carbons.
    >
    > I've at long last started the process of doing up my "hack" tourer bike. It is an expensive
    > business but then so is buying a new bike.
    >
    > Sorry to hear about the crash. I know what that kind of shock feels like. You'll be back!
    > ...Probably with a better bike, one way or the other.
    >
    > I take /all/ curbs like a complete granny ever since having a few mishaps with them as a kid.
    >
    > ~PB

  4. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    "Andy Smith" <[email protected]@tinnedfruit.org> wrote:

    > This brings me to the question; I'm on a tight budget (student) and I need a racer bike. I was
    > already after one for uni commuting, but now I need my primary transport back, too. Any good shops
    > that will do a decent (not groundbreaking, let's be fair) bike for 250-300 (maybe a little more!)
    > & deliver (UK Mainland)? Or what shops will deal secondhand? So far, deesidecycles second hand
    > page looks good, but the goods are mostly marked as sold.

    What size are you after? I've got a good spec race bike sat in my garage now for around £275.It is
    around 20 inchish frame,so only any good for short arses like me at around 5'7" or smaller. E-mail
    me or post here if you (or anyone else) is interested.

    alan ( at ) darkroom.plus.com

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    > But I woud not completely discount the idea of rebuilding your bike. Rim can be replaced without
    > having to get a whole new wheel; new forks needn't be very expensive. See bike shops and SJS
    > Cycles for steel forks, and Xpedia, Parker International, etc for carbons.

    Before doing so check the underside of the downtube. A crash like that can often twist the head
    tube back which creates a crease in the underside of the downtube. If that has happened the
    frame is junk.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  6. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > I had a pretty bad crash (for me) this afternoon. I was joining a cycle
    path
    > that had a very slightly raised kerb, even though it shared the pavment. I don't usually go for
    > cycle paths often, but this one has a good surface.
    As
    > I moved to join, the front wheel struck (I think) I swerved, lost the
    front
    > wheel (?! QR, but fastened *very* securely), landed on the forks, and went over the bars.
    > Thankfully my leather mits saved my hands, but I picked up
    > couple of grazes.

    Ouch, I feel for you. At uni, pennyless, I was riding a pawn shop bike that had cost me abour £15
    a few days earlier. I hadn't had a chance to check it over properly. I was riding along a
    dirt/gravel path and for no reason the front wheel just came clean off. Forks hit the gravel, a
    second later so did
    I. Lost most of the skin on both palms, knees and a shoulder.

    Loot is OK for bikes. If it was me I'd look locally. Supermarket ads, local paper, pawn shops (just
    don't make my mistake and do safety check!!). The advantage of this way is you can ride a bike
    before buying without having to travel too far.

    Good luck

  7. Bummer - the rest of the guys here are much better on the bike techhie stuff than me. Basically I'm
    glad *you* aren't too badly hurt. Things I would add

    1. report incident to local authority responsible for design & maintenance of the path - if it's a
    bad design they should darned well know about it!

    2. Are you a member of, say, CTC where you can seek legal advice on whether or not you have a
    financial claim on whoever is responsible for design/maintenance of the path. It may be a
    non-starter, but if you don't ask, you don't get - and what with finances being tight - if there
    is a case, you could get yourself a new bike out it??

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy Smith wrote:
    > Any other mags that would be good for secondhand ads apart from Cycling weekly?

    Cycling Weekly is best, but also see Cycling Plus mag and the C+ forum at: www.cyclingplus.co.uk

    www.ebay.co.uk is worth keeping an eye on too.

    ~PB

  9. Andy Smith

    Andy Smith Guest

    Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a 23" :)

    "A Lee" wrote:
    > What size are you after? I've got a good spec race bike sat in my garage now for around £275.It is
    > around 20 inchish frame,so only any good for short arses like me at around 5'7" or smaller. E-mail
    > me or post here if you (or anyone else) is interested.

  10. Andy Smith

    Andy Smith Guest

    I intend to report this to the council. If they think that raising shared cycle paths on pavements
    is a good practice, then that needs to change. It serves no purpose, and as experienced, seems to
    reduce the safety of shared paths even more!

    As for legal action, I can only think of those lovely 'claims direct' things, but any kind of
    financial reward given I bet 90% of it would go back to themselves. I could try other forms of
    advice, CAB, perhaps? But I really don't have any kind of financial stance to undertake this myself.

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Bummer - the rest of the guys here are much better on the bike techhie
    stuff
    > than me. Basically I'm glad *you* aren't too badly hurt. Things I would
    add

    > 1. report incident to local authority responsible for design & maintenance
    of
    > the path - if it's a bad design they should darned well know about it!
    >
    > 2. Are you a member of, say, CTC where you can seek legal advice on
    whether or
    > not you have a financial claim on whoever is responsible for
    design/maintenance
    > of the path. It may be a non-starter, but if you don't ask, you don't
    get - and
    > what with finances being tight - if there is a case, you could get
    yourself a
    > new bike out it??
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. Flembo

    Flembo Guest

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Smith" <[email protected]@tinnedfruit.org> Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
    Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 2:26 AM Subject: Re: Bad crash

    > As for new bikes, I first saw the Barracuda stuff; got put off by reading what people had said,
    > and now I'm looking at a reasonably priced Fausto Coppi. Any comments on the Gavia? I'm prepared
    > to go for the Sora parts, after reading some reviews of them from other bikers on
    > www.roadbikereview.com, however I would be interested on feedback on the bike as a whole.

    Hi. Long time URC reader, first time contributor because....

    I'm also a budget-conscious student (and another Andy, strangely enough) and I just bought an 02
    Coppi Gavia a couple of weeks ago from my LBS for 280 pounds... it's always worth asking if the
    local guy can source one. I'm pretty chuffed with it although I replaced the push-in crank
    dustcovers with screw-in jobs after a couple of days.

    One thing to remember about Coppis is that they are measured C-C. My 56cm bike is actually 60cm to
    the top of the seat post binder... so a 58cm is probably closest to a 23inch C-T.

    Comes with pedals and toeclips so you can ride about in your regular shoes/boots if you so desire.
    Rims are Rigida, Hubs are Quando and brakes are Alhonga (these work pretty well as I inadvertantly
    discovered on Friday).

    As I have a scuzzy ATB which is mudguarded and panniered up for day to day use, I wasn't overly
    bothered that the Gavia doesn't have mudguard eyes but the next model up, the Lugano, does if you
    need that kind of thing. Again, worth asking your LBS what sort of price they can do on this.

    Other things worth considering (i.e things I also considered) are :-

    H******s are doing their 02 Carrera Virtuoso for 299 at the moment and still had the 01 model listed
    at 159(!!!) last week... whether they still have any of these anywhere is a different matter but if
    they do it's got to be worth it for the groupset alone, which, IIRC, is 8 speed Sora.

    The Raleigh Chimera also has 8 speed Sora and, weirdly, has a triple shifter for a double chainring
    (at least, the one I looked at did)... if you can get the 02 model in the low 200s you can consider
    yourself to have got the frame for free and buy something in aluminium if you really have to have
    it... same goes for the older R50 which is still available.

    An 02 Dawes Giro 300 looks like a good buy at around 300 for sensible everyday use (mudguard eyes
    and granny ring)... and as you've already acquainted yourself with SJS, there's the very similar SJS
    Giro 3000 (badge engineering?) at a similar kind of price

    I plumped for the Coppi because I reckoned it had an air of Italian style about it. Mind you, it
    does also have an 'Assembled in Derby' sticker on it
    :)

    hope that's helpful

    cheers

    andy fleming

    (when emailing reverse the name in front of the @ to reply)

  12. <snip> Mind you, it does also have an 'Assembled in Derby' sticker on it </snip>

    Lots of bikes are assembled in Derby, as the Moore-Large factory is here; they distribute an awful
    lot of foreign bikes around the country. Not that I'd assume 'Assembled in Derby' to have any sort
    of quality unless it was stuck to the side of a Rolls-Royce jet engine!

    Regards,

    Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK