Bad Crashes... Treating Roadburn

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
In decent position w/ less than 2 laps to go, I crashed in this week's crit, likely striking a pedal, and went over the other side. Numerous injuries... :-( ... but no breaks. :)

Lots of nasty road rash. After the hospital's basic cheapo dressing, I bought some Duoderm patches. Please tell me it works as well as the $90 / pack price!!!!! I used a larger, cheaper Tegaderm patch on my hip because of the size, and have the Duo in smaller patches on knees, elbow, face.

Doesn't matter how cheap the patch is just make sure that it's a fully sealed one which will keep the **** in. I have used Tegaderm but also a type made by Elastoplast/Leuko which seals a lot better. The seal wil be best if you can shave off any hairs around the adhesion area too.
I find that the best bet is to change the dressing ony if it starts to leak or stink badly. Healing is a lot better in the moist environment and there won't be much scaring.

The Tegaderm seems to be sealing well so far. That thin clear strip is barely even noticable. I shoulda removed hair around it, though.

The Duoderm on my face looks nasty! There's a goopy bubble of stuff that's formed in there (no odor), and I can't help wonder if it's supposed to look that way. I guess so, since the hospital cleaned them, dressed them, and then I washed them again today and went w/ this route. All of them are similarly bubbled. Not for the faint of heart when it's on your face...

Things generally heal faster if kept moist. That's the idea behind the sealed bandages. But this won't require enough fluid to feed Victoria Falls! The first one or two (depending on how bad the wound is) will often fill up with fluid. I usually wait until they are smelly/leaky/unsightly before removing them and replacing with another of the same kind.

So if it's on your face then change it if you feel it's detracting from your good looks!

Another rule I apply is that the first one should stay on for at least a day to give the area suitable time to go into repair mode.

Last time I was in this situation(after going straight thru a bend on a descent at 60km/h) the hospital was useless. I should have gone to the car wash and used the pressure cleaner!I still have a stone that I can feel under the skin today. Anyway, go and see someone who does Chinese medicine. I got some powder and a spray for the flesh wounds and they healed better and faster than the few area's that I didn't use it on. Smelled like something dead (probably was) but worked great!

Originally posted by 100%
Last time I was in this situation(after going straight thru a bend on a descent at 60km/h) the hospital was useless. I should have gone to the car wash and used the pressure cleaner!I still have a stone that I can feel under the skin today. Anyway, go and see someone who does Chinese medicine. I got some powder and a spray for the flesh wounds and they healed better and faster than the few area's that I didn't use it on. Smelled like something dead (probably was) but worked great!

Chinese medicine?! I guess that's what people have to settle on when your healthcare system has too many government price controls. So if the Chinese guy is busy and all booked up, do you go see the Aboriginie witch doctor?