Bad Cycling Habits

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Bullseye_blam, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Bullseye_blam

Bullseye_blam New Member

The point of this thread is simple - what are your bad habits related to cycling, or while being out on the road?

Accompanying responses with a personal experience showing why this is a bad habit is also appreciated. ;)

Tags:

2. RuuTu15

RuuTu15 New Member

Ohh that's easssssy
    Cleaning my bike is probably my worst habit, I do as much as I can/want to, but most other times just throw it in the house and that's the end of it.
    Another thing is stop signs and not really paying attention. Iv'e only done it once but I have completely blown through a rather busy 4 way stop and was extremely close to being hit by, or me hitting, a car.

3. Iron Man

Iron Man New Member

The first bad habbit i have is doing "stoppies" on my light weight road wheels, for those not familiar with a stoppie you slam on the front brake so you lift the rear wheel of the ground then slightly release it so you roll only on the front wheel, this is bad because i often buckle the wheel and need to rebuild it!

the second is forgetting my road bike is not a mountain bike, i often jump pot holes rather than go around, i also like to jump gutters now and then, this is bad because of the reasons above!:eek:

4. lischoux

lischoux New Member

"Hi my name is Bob and I'm an Alcoholic"

Well no... I am not Bob, not an Alcoholic but I do have to confess that I have bad cycling habits:

- Stop signs and red lights are optional to me (acquired in Montreal)
    - Passing stopped cars at red light on the left, the right, or anywhere else
    - Littering (but only in urban areas where I know the street gets sweeped or someone will pick it up)
    - MP3-player in the ear... well I sometimes loosen one of the headphones to hear what's going on around me
    - trying to drop every rider that is not in my group (i.e. that I or we pass while riding)

Other habits that I believe are not bad but might be perceived as such by others:

- taking 2-3 feet of space from the edge of the road (fear of getting doored)
    - yelling obscenities at drivers who "screw up" while I'm riding
    - taking a leak at the side of the road (usually in rural areas though)
    - drooling over nice bikes ...wherever I see one (even if I'm in social company)

:D

5. DZ-015

DZ-015 New Member

Chucking banana skins into fields.:eek:

6. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Spitting gobfulls of phlegm out constantly. I should lay off the milk.

Also snotting constanly all over my bike and self. Totally gross I know but better out than in. :(

7. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Daydreaming...sometimes I think "Blimey...I'm here already"??? I'm also getting far too complacent in Traffic...I take too many chances...

Both of the above could have consequences methinks!!

8. Bullseye_blam

Bullseye_blam New Member

hahah. there's nothing wrong with any of this. I always feel better after riding due to the massive loss of snot through my nose and mouth.

9. K50

K50 New Member

yeah,
    -snot rockets,
    -not stopping at stop signs (WHAT'S THE POINT?? I can see everywhere and I'm not isolated in a cabin with limited view. There's a reason cyclists don't use mirrors...we don't need them)

-anger at motorists. Especially the ones in large suvs.
    -not cleaning my bike frame enough..only the drivetrain

10. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Stop signs?

yea... about that....

- Snot rockets... nah, you gotta keep your sinuses CLEAN!

11. dm69

dm69 New Member

Snot rockets are a must for all cyclists...If its up ya nose its restricting air flow. Notice the ease in your breathing after a clearout!

My bad habit is being negative. I find a negative spin for most things...if I get caught in a TT I will get angry at myself, sook and inevitably give up the ghost to stroll in the rest of the way, then im depressed for the rest of the day :confused: .
    If I dont break my PB up a hill that I set myself for it turns into a sparring contest with my good self and the bad self like an angel and a devil on each shoulder lol.

bad:"Bloody hell Im weak"
    good: "its the crosswind bad"
    bad:"BS it is, I just couldn't hack it"
    good: "better luck next time"
    bad: "ill need it :p"

Yeah and whats this "traffic light/stop sign" business...The cars get out of the way...most of the time, lol.

12. K50

K50 New Member

hahaha....You should practise some meditations or something. Or take your easy rides on public paths and zoom past sedentary people. That will boost your ego enough to knock the devil out of you haha. Well, that's what I think anyways.

13. Iron Man

Iron Man New Member

14. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Well strictly speaking this isn't just a bike one but my bad habbit is genoside. I must kick that one as its becomin a bit anti-social in these more politically correct times. :rolleyes:

15. K50

K50 New Member

uhhh. Ok. Genocide? Sure, might want to fix that.