UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bad day for my bike

Started by Niv · · Last activity · 4 posts · 699 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 June 2003
Last activity
8 June 2003
Original author
Niv
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
699
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, not that bad, nice enjoayable 45 mile jaunt. However, firstly one bottle cage came unscrewed &
    couldn't fine my 4mm Allen key, so it had to dangle about on its last remaing, loose, screw. Then,
    about 15 miles from home..... BANG, what the h*** was that.

    100 yards later, with me struggling to move forward, got off to investigate, broken spoke. I didn't
    realise they made so much noise breaking.

    Anyway, slackened off rear brake & got home OK.

    Now for the repair. Any hints anyone. I built the wheels from scratch about 18 months ago, but
    spokes & rims were all new. What should I do for one broken spoke? Do slacken all off a lot, replace
    spoke, and then re-true as if I was starting over, or what?

    TIA, Niv.

  2. Niv said:

    Well, not that bad, nice enjoayable 45 mile jaunt.

    Then, about 15 miles from home..... BANG, what the h*** was that.

    100 yards later, with me struggling to move forward, got off to investigate, broken spoke. I
    didn't realise they made so much noise breaking.

    Anyway, slackened off rear brake & got home OK.

    Now for the repair. Any hints anyone. I built the wheels from scratch about 18 months ago, but
    spokes & rims were all new. What should I do for one broken spoke? Do slacken all off a lot,
    replace spoke, and then re-true as if I was starting over, or what?

    Remove the broken spoke if you haven't already. Reduce tension in the two spokes each side of the
    broken one. That should enable you to have a true wheel without compromising strength to allow you
    to continue riding (assuming you don't already have a new spoke). Remember to adjust your rear brake
    before riding again.

    Replace missing spoke asap and re-true using same principles you used when you built the wheel.

    Unless the rim is actually damaged you should not have any problems.

    John B

  3. Niv said:

    Now for the repair. Any hints anyone. I built the wheels from scratch about 18 months ago, but
    spokes & rims were all new. What should I do for one broken spoke?

    Fix it (drive side rear, I take it ?). Stuff one in, tension it up and the wheel ought to pull right
    back into shape. Truing should be minimal.

    But a spoke shouldn't break at 18 months, so there's something funny about the wheel build. You
    might want to look at that. Did you stress relieve them ?

    A look at www.sheldonbrown.com and Jobst's book wouldn't hurt.

  4. I built them following Sheldons instructions & I've read Jobst's book several times. I'm hoping it
    was just a rogue spoke. The wheels have been "true" for the whole 18 months without any need for
    re-truing, despite some very large pot-hole encounters. Thanks for advice anyway. Niv. "Andy
    Dingley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Niv said:

    Now for the repair. Any hints anyone. I built the wheels from scratch


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    18 months ago, but spokes & rims were all new. What should I do for one broken spoke?

    Fix it (drive side rear, I take it ?). Stuff one in, tension it up and the wheel ought to pull
    right back into shape. Truing should be minimal.

    But a spoke shouldn't break at 18 months, so there's something funny about the wheel build. You
    might want to look at that. Did you stress relieve them ?

    A look at www.sheldonbrown.com and Jobst's book wouldn't hurt.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.