Bad Journalism - Bicycling Lance Article

WillW

Guest
If Bicycling ever prints or posts another article by Joe Lindsey, or doesn't
print an apology, they will see a large number of magazine subscription
cancellations. The article sent via the web on 7/24 did not present the
facts, but was an emotional attack on Lance and cycling. Since when is
predicting the surfacing of a colder and spiteful Lance and then looking for
any signs to support that prediction good journalism? Joe continually
referred to Armstrong as ugly: "ugliest side broke out of the grandest
champion," "ugly agenda," "Amstrong's comment . . . is ugly." The final
straw is throwing facts out the window and stating that it just boiled down
to Lance wanting to make someone else fail. It even attacks Sheryl Crow....
why? I could go on, but you get the idea.

I am very disappointed that Bicycling supported this article. I am all for
learning both sides of the story and think both sides should be told. That
is why I read the article. But the story should be based on facts. If
someone has to constantly use terms such as "ugly" and add "freaking" to
someone's name and indicate Lance is cold and spiteful without any facts,
Bicycling should not publish the article. I am very hopeful that Bicycling
will realize that good judgment was not used in going forward with this
piece, especially on the eve of Lance's history-making sixth Tour de France
win. I sent Bicycling an e-mail (please feel free to send your own) and will
post their response here.

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,3489,s1-9781,00.html

WillW <[email protected]> wrote:
> If Bicycling ever prints or posts another article by Joe Lindsey, or
> doesn't print an apology, they will see a large number of magazine
> subscription cancellations.

(snipt)

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,3489,s1-9781,00.html

I thought it was a well written piece. The key tip-off being the opening
sub-head were it reads "opinion". I don't agree with everything the guy
writes, nor do I pretend to understand the relationship between Armstrong
and Simeoni (I doubt few do!) In that light, however, I think Lindsey's
opinion is far from extreme. I am a fan of Lance Armstrong and am amazed
with what he's accomplished in cycling, but I'm not so naive to think that
Armstrong can do no wrong. Further, I actually respect a magazine that will
print the something other than "all Lance, all the time." Frankly the guy
raises some good questions.

....and he didn't "attack" Sheryl Crow. It was merely a good dose of
sarcasm. He was making that a guy dating Sheryl Crow and making $16M a year
doesn't have to worry about some no-name weasel trying to garner his 15
minutes of fame. You might want to re-read the thing with a more objective
eye. I congratulate Bicycling for actually publishing something other than
some marketing goo proclaiming the latest carbon doo-dad that will allow us
all to "climb like Lance."

'Course that's just my opinion.....

Tom

tcmedara wrote:
|| WillW <[email protected]> wrote:
||| If Bicycling ever prints or posts another article by Joe Lindsey, or
||| doesn't print an apology, they will see a large number of magazine
||| subscription cancellations.
|| (snipt)
http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,3489,s1-9781,00.html
|| I thought it was a well written piece. The key tip-off being the
|| opening sub-head were it reads "opinion". I don't agree with
|| everything the guy writes, nor do I pretend to understand the
|| relationship between Armstrong and Simeoni (I doubt few do!) In
|| that light, however, I think Lindsey's opinion is far from extreme.
|| I am a fan of Lance Armstrong and am amazed with what he's
|| accomplished in cycling, but I'm not so naive to think that
|| Armstrong can do no wrong. Further, I actually respect a magazine
|| that will print the something other than "all Lance, all the time."
|| Frankly the guy raises some good questions.
|| ...and he didn't "attack" Sheryl Crow. It was merely a good dose of
|| sarcasm. He was making that a guy dating Sheryl Crow and making $16M
|| a year doesn't have to worry about some no-name weasel trying to
|| garner his 15 minutes of fame. You might want to re-read the thing
|| with a more objective eye. I congratulate Bicycling for actually
|| publishing something other than some marketing goo proclaiming the
|| latest carbon doo-dad that will allow us all to "climb like Lance."
|| 'Course that's just my opinion.....

I think the reason LA didn't chase down Simeoni the first time he broke away
is because he was too concerned about his own position in the race and
thought it too risky. When he did chase Simeoni down, he had his victory
virtually assured.

tcmedara wrote:
|| ...and he didn't "attack" Sheryl Crow. It was merely a good dose of
|| sarcasm. He was making that a guy dating Sheryl Crow and making $16M
|| a year doesn't have to worry about some no-name weasel trying to
|| garner his 15 minutes of fame. You might want to re-read the thing
|| with a more objective eye. I congratulate Bicycling for actually
|| publishing something other than some marketing goo proclaiming the
|| latest carbon doo-dad that will allow us all to "climb like Lance."

He could have made the point just as well without referring to SC in that
matter. I'm sure she would not appreciate it.

Besides that, I agree with his opinion. Simeoni is insignificant. LA going
after him just really doesn't help the sport or the peloton in any way I can
see. And it certainly does suggest "another side" to LA that we, the public
and fans, don't often see but we got a glimpse of in the 2004 TdF.
Honestly, though, it is not surprising.

What are you doing wasting your time reading/wasting your money buying
BUY-cycling ragazine in the first place?

news:[email protected]...

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 08:20:54 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:
> tcmedara wrote:
>|| ...and he didn't "attack" Sheryl Crow. It was merely a good dose of
>|| sarcasm. He was making that a guy dating Sheryl Crow and making $16M
>|| a year doesn't have to worry about some no-name weasel trying to
>|| garner his 15 minutes of fame. You might want to re-read the thing
>|| with a more objective eye. I congratulate Bicycling for actually
>|| publishing something other than some marketing goo proclaiming the
>|| latest carbon doo-dad that will allow us all to "climb like Lance."
>

> He could have made the point just as well without referring to SC in that
> matter. I'm sure she would not appreciate it.
>
> Besides that, I agree with his opinion. Simeoni is insignificant. LA going
> after him just really doesn't help the sport or the peloton in any way I can
> see. And it certainly does suggest "another side" to LA that we, the public
> and fans, don't often see but we got a glimpse of in the 2004 TdF.
> Honestly, though, it is not surprising.

I did a little more digging after a few links were posted here. I'm a
Lance fan (first because he beat cancer) and that move did make me
wonder (big time). I won't pretend to usnderstand what went on but I
did read one comment from another member of the Peleton (no US
Postal). They said that Simeoni has a habit of bad mouthing the
peleton when off the bike and that Simeoni was being taught not to
'**** where you eat'

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

In article <[email protected]>, "Doug Huffman"
<[email protected]> writes:

>What are you doing wasting your time reading/wasting your money buying
>BUY-cycling ragazine in the first place?

Well you can read it in an hour or two. Just don't take it serious.

In article <[email protected]>, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> writes:

>He could have made the point just as well without referring to SC in that
>matter. I'm sure she would not appreciate it.
>
>Besides that, I agree with his opinion. Simeoni is insignificant. LA going
>after him just really doesn't help the sport or the peloton in any way I can
>see. And it certainly does suggest "another side" to LA that we, the public
>and fans, don't often see but we got a glimpse of in the 2004 TdF.
>Honestly, though, it is not surprising.

Ignornig the journalist. What Lance did was traditional. He put put Simioni in
his place where it counted most, among his fellow riders, his peers.

Sun, 25 Jul 2004 08:26:25 -0500, <[email protected]>,
Neil Cherry <[email protected]> wrote:

>They said that Simeoni has a habit of bad mouthing the
>peleton when off the bike and that Simeoni was being taught not to
>'**** where you eat'

Wow, that Lance is such a hero! He's America's next Carl Lewis!
--
zk

No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

"whinds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, "Doug Huffman"
| <[email protected]> writes:
|

| >What are you doing wasting your time reading/wasting your money buying
| >BUY-cycling ragazine in the first place?
| >

| Well you can read it in an hour or two. Just don't take it serious.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:26:04 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

An hour? <G>

Try 15 minutes.

The only issue of Bicycling that took me an hour to read was the one
with the story of the Irish gent who went for the hour record, and was
disqualified on several occasions.

That was a great read!

Barry

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> WillW <[email protected]> wrote:
> > If Bicycling ever prints or posts another article by Joe Lindsey, or
> > doesn't print an apology, they will see a large number of magazine
> > subscription cancellations.

> (snipt)

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,3489,s1-9781,00.html

> I thought it was a well written piece. The key tip-off being the opening
> sub-head were it reads "opinion". I don't agree with everything the guy
> writes, nor do I pretend to understand the relationship between Armstrong
> and Simeoni (I doubt few do!) In that light, however, I think Lindsey's
> opinion is far from extreme. I am a fan of Lance Armstrong and am amazed
> with what he's accomplished in cycling, but I'm not so naive to think that
> Armstrong can do no wrong. Further, I actually respect a magazine that

will
> print the something other than "all Lance, all the time." Frankly the guy
> raises some good questions.
>
> ...and he didn't "attack" Sheryl Crow. It was merely a good dose of
> sarcasm. He was making that a guy dating Sheryl Crow and making $16M a

year
> doesn't have to worry about some no-name weasel trying to garner his 15
> minutes of fame. You might want to re-read the thing with a more

objective
> eye. I congratulate Bicycling for actually publishing something other

than
> some marketing goo proclaiming the latest carbon doo-dad that will allow

us
> all to "climb like Lance."

That's right, as long as it's an opinion piece, they can publish it and he
can write it.

The guy was wrong about one thing. Simeoni has also had a win in vuelta, a
stage in 2001. I remember it distinctly- he carried his bike across the
finish line and held it over his head.

And I won't buy BUY-cycling ragazine and I will not read it! The money and
time are better spent on my recumbent bicycles and the road.

whinds wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>, "Roger Zoul"
:: <[email protected]> writes:
::
:::
::: He could have made the point just as well without referring to SC
::: in that matter. I'm sure she would not appreciate it.
:::
::: Besides that, I agree with his opinion. Simeoni is insignificant.
::: LA going after him just really doesn't help the sport or the
::: peloton in any way I can see. And it certainly does suggest
::: "another side" to LA that we, the public and fans, don't often see
::: but we got a glimpse of in the 2004 TdF. Honestly, though, it is
::: not surprising.
:::
::
:: Ignornig the journalist. What Lance did was traditional.

How was it traditional? I haven't been aware of cycling for very long...

He put put
:: Simioni in his place where it counted most, among his fellow riders,
:: his peers.

Well, that makes some sense....keep it among the riders...but it was on TV
in the big daddy of all races...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> And I won't buy BUY-cycling ragazine and I will not read it! The money and
> time are better spent on my recumbent bicycles and the road.

My frustration with this magazine has been that it seems the only
products that make it into there are the ones that quite a few people
wont be able to afford. The reality is that there are very affordable
bikes that don't cost 2k and also are quite rideable. Not that I am
dissing those more expensive bikes because I am not or anyone who rides
them.

Well that peave and "Styleman."

Dave in Minnesota

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bonehenge <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:26:04 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

> > An hour? <G>
> >
> > Try 15 minutes.

> you're not reading the advertisements.
> --
> david reuteler
> [email protected]

What other magazines are recommended? It's been twenty years since I was
riding regularly and Bicycling was about all I read back then.

Arlie C.

Blue Gator <[email protected]> wrote:
> What other magazines are recommended? It's been twenty years since I was
> riding regularly and Bicycling was about all I read back then.

cycling+ is about it. it's UK but i can find it at borders or b&n.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Blue Gator <[email protected]> wrote:
> > What other magazines are recommended? It's been twenty years since I

was
> > riding regularly and Bicycling was about all I read back then.

> cycling+ is about it. it's UK but i can find it at borders or b&n.
> --
> david reuteler
> [email protected]

Thanks, David. I'll check it out.

Arlie C.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>| >What are you doing wasting your time reading/wasting your money buying
>| >BUY-cycling ragazine in the first place?
>| >

>| Well you can read it in an hour or two. Just don't take it serious.
>
>No more than I take this post "serious[sic]". An hour? Really?

Yeah, really. Try reading it without moving your lips.

Stop signs too.