Bad Journalism - Bicycling Lance Article

According to WillW <[email protected]>:
>Since when is
>predicting the surfacing of a colder and spiteful Lance and then looking for
>any signs to support that prediction good journalism?

Ever since Armstrong took corporate sponsorship and effectively marketed
himself as Mr. Swell. I'm pleasantly surprised that the American
enthusiast press would go out on such a limb.

---
Lars Lehtonen

Brady Bear <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Brady Bear wrote:
> >> Lars Lehtonen <[email protected]>

> >> Check this one out:
> >> http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38194111

> >Isn't that the one we've been discussing?!?

> Yup, I missed the earlier posts. I found this in a link from RBR just
> today. I still can't get over though... Sheesh, is Imren a moron or ??

This is called, among other things, rain making. Columnists do it with
purpose, to generate letters, readership, interest, yadda. A similar
piece thing was recently written in florida or georga iirc, by some guy
who said cyclists weren't athletes compared to NASCAR drivers.

It's journalistic flamebait.

..max

--
the part of <[email protected]>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Max <[email protected]> writes:

> This is called, among other things, rain making. Columnists do it with
> purpose, to generate letters, readership, interest, yadda. A similar
> piece thing was recently written in florida or georga iirc, by some guy
> who said cyclists weren't athletes compared to NASCAR drivers.
>
> It's journalistic flamebait.

Yes, and it's just as childish. For this very reason, the accusation
that the article is "bad journalism" is spot-on. The editors should
accurately identify these columns as "rants."

As others here have pointed out, we'd be better off ignoring
"Bicycling" magazine.

Dan

--
-------------
Dan Griswold

> As others here have pointed out, we'd be better off ignoring
> "Bicycling" magazine.

Boy, I'll second (or third...) that!

Rodale magazines are hardly more than product catalogs. "Backpacker"
is almost worthless, "Bicycling" is completely worthless and "Runner's
World" is but a pale shadow of what it used to be (anyone remember
George Sheehan?).

I'd take one decent book on cycling over a dozen years of "Bicycling"
magazine.

(I know, I know, "don't sugar-coat it, tell us what you really
think.") :)

-BC

[email protected] (Palookabutt) wrote:

>Rodale magazines are hardly more than product catalogs. "Backpacker"
>is almost worthless, "Bicycling" is completely worthless and "Runner's
>World" is but a pale shadow of what it used to be (anyone remember
>George Sheehan?).

I was getting into running again after about 10 years away from the
habit after an injury, and went to the pre-race gathering to hear
Frank Shorter speak. Got there early and sat right in front of the
stage. The time for the talk came and went, and still no Frank. This
"old guy" toddles to the front and jokes that "Frank's late as usual"
and says he'll have to fill in.

"Great" I think - probably one of the organizers who did a race once
20 years ago.

It doesn't take long to realize this guy REALLY knows his stuff, and
it hits me... that's Geoge Sheehan (I was VERY much into his writing
when I was running regularly)! Shorter shows up a bit later and the
two of them spend the rest of the time ad-libbing about running.
Amazing... like "drinking from the fire hose".

Later that night my wife and I were carbo-loading at a local (New
Jersey) Italian restaurant when I notice George (and a very
attractive, much younger date). I caught the server, and told her
that I was picking up his meal. When she eventually delivered that
message, both George and his date looked at us, and simultaneously
said "who is that?" to each other.

I told him that I was a huge fan, and that his writing had meant so
much to me, and was so inspirational that I felt like it was the least
I could do to say thanks. He was quite touched, and told me no one
had ever done that before. He mentioned a chronic knee condition, and
I recommended cycling as a remedy - he probably knew that, but I was
still quite pleased to see that he competed in a biathlon (they hadn't
yet been renamed duathlon) about six months later. I took full credit
of course.

A few years later, I chased him across the finish line of a very hilly
10K race... I was in my mid-30's and he was in his 70's (and I had a
pretty decent time of around 42 minutes). Amazing.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion....

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Brady Bear wrote:
> > On 28 Jul 2004 04:05:34 GMT, Lars Lehtonen <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Check this one out:
> > http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38194111
> >

> Isn't that the one we've been discussing?!?
>
> Bill "hope everyone sends 'em an e-mail (link is there) about the 'peddle'
> gaff if nothing else" S.

I've been following this thread for the last coupl of days, and in the
article, Imrem makes direct comparisons to Armstrong's an Ricky William's
athleticism;

"Well, to me the suddenly former Dolphins running back was a better athlete
than Armstrong is. " (imrem)

An interesting development is this;

In today's Newsday, an article reported that Williams had failed a drug test
and was due to be suspended for at least 4 games. Comments made in that
article suggested that some thought it was more important to Williams to be
able to smoke grass than to play ball.

ANother quote from the Imrem article;

"Williams wants to explore other interests, fulfill other ambitions and
experience other sensations."

It seems as if he has already started!

THen, as a lark, Imrem states:
"Who knows, he (Williams) might even take up cycling just for the fun of it
and win the Tour de France just for the heck of it."

As if he could! Williams bailed after only five, albeit punishing years in
the NFL. Lance won six equally puishing tours. A different kind of
punishment, to be sure!

Lance won six and may go for seven. All after beating cancer

Williams bailed after five years, to pursue other interests (dope)?

It looks like Imrem picked a bad model for comparison!