Bad News: Beloki breaks THREE bones

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ed Hill, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Ed Hill

    Ed Hill Guest

    Not that we really need anymore convincing about how hard Beloki fell based on the video and audio
    but apparently he broke every bone that touched the ground -- his femur, elbow and wrist. No wonder
    the guy was in such incredible pain. I'm really bummed he couldn't get back on his (another) bike
    and finish so that we could be treated to more incredible stages, but now I'm feeling worse with
    this news. He's a great competitor, hopefully he'll come back and win some year.

    Ed

    Tags:

  2. "Ed Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not that we really need anymore convincing about how hard Beloki fell based on the video and audio
    > but apparently he broke every bone that touched the ground -- his femur, elbow and wrist. No
    > wonder the guy was in such incredible pain. I'm really bummed he couldn't get back on his
    > (another) bike and finish

    <snip>

    Why would you want to see a guy ride with 3 broken bones?

  3. obviously he isn't from Marblehead.

  4. Steve Hill

    Steve Hill Guest

    Of course, at the time, I was hoping he wasn't injured too badly and could continue.

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > "Ed Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Not that we really need anymore convincing about how hard Beloki fell based on the video and audio
    >>but apparently he broke every bone that touched the ground -- his femur, elbow and wrist. No
    >>wonder the guy was in such incredible pain. I'm really bummed he couldn't get back on his
    >>(another) bike and finish
    >

    > <snip>
    >

    > Why would you want to see a guy ride with 3 broken bones?

  5. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Ed Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not that we really need anymore convincing about how hard Beloki fell based on the video and
    > audio but apparently he broke every bone that touched the ground -- his femur, elbow and
    > wrist. No wonder the guy was in such incredible pain. I'm really bummed he couldn't get back
    > on his (another) bike and finish so that we could be treated to more incredible stages, but
    > now I'm feeling worse with this news. He's a great competitor, hopefully he'll come back and
    > win some year.
    >
    > Ed

    Yes, very sad that he got hurt like that.

    Dashii

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Ed Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not that we really need anymore convincing about how hard Beloki fell based on the video and
    > audio but apparently he broke every bone that touched the ground -- his femur, elbow and
    > wrist. No wonder the guy was in such incredible pain. I'm really bummed he couldn't get back
    > on his (another) bike and finish so that we could be treated to more incredible stages, but
    > now I'm feeling worse with this news. He's a great competitor, hopefully he'll come back and
    > win some year.
    >
    > Ed

    Holy cow. I heard him screaming in pain. That was something awful to see. I hope he comes back
    next year. He said he would not return if he did not win but this is obviously something he did
    not expect.

  7. P. Hardewig

    P. Hardewig Guest

    Looked like he suffered a high femur fracture from the way he fell, very similar to many senior
    citizens' "broken hips", which are actually fractures 1-4 inches down from the head of the
    femur that angles into the hip socket. Due to his age/occupation, this should be very
    repairable using surgical screws, or a combination of screws & plates, depending on the
    location of the fracture. He's in for some long & painful rehab, though. Here's to his
    successful recovery & return to racing!!!

    Pat former trauma victim, USCF retired & 23 year EMS vet