Bad News for Segway Lovers

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> Reducing consumption would be a good place to start. I think Californians showed it could be done
> during the rolling black-outs. (Whether or not there was ever a real power shortage is mixed up
> somewhere with Enron's and the Bushies' criminal activities)

The rolling blackouts were good evidence that reducing consumption is not enough. When that debacle
was happening, other states were unwilling to send additional power because they still had to meet
demand in their own local areas.

> Natural gas is non renewable and it's not as clean as the lobbyists will have us believe.

Agreed

> Wind power has the greatest widespread potential for a pollution-free renewable energy source. The
> technology to do this has been here for years.

Let me quote an oft-quoted article by Allan M.R. MacRae:

"Of course, wind doesn't blow all the time - wind power works best as a small part of an electrical
distribution system, where other sources provide the base and peak power. Although wind power has
made recent gains, it will probably remain a small contributor to our overall energy needs. A
1,000-megawatt wind farm would cover a land area of 1,036 square kilometres, while the same-size
surface coal mine and power plant complex covers about 36 square kilometres. Wind farms cover a much
bigger area, are visible for miles due to the height of the towers and kill large numbers of birds."

Assuming he is correct, then we can figure how much land area is needed to generate enough
electricity to cover California's consumption in 2001 (265,059 gw). Let's see, 265,059 gw =
265,059,000 mw. If the wind were steadily blowing, you would need 255,848 sqkm to generate that
electricity. That works out to 98,783 sqmi. The state of California has 155,973 sqmi of land area.
Assuming all of it were usable for wind generation, then 63% of the total land area of California
would be needed to generate the electricity it used two years ago.

Doesn't look like such a great alternative, does it?

-Buck

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:02:48 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Even if everyone moved over to golf carts, there would still be a lot of pollution. The
>>> electricity has to be generated somewhere in some way.
>>
>>and...
>>
>>> But generating the electricity would be just as polluting as the SUVs they replace.
>>
>>That's not necessarily true. It depends on where you're shifting the power generation to. Some
>>areas, like southern CA, get their electricity primarily from natural gas, nuclear, and hydro
>>plants, which are cleaner than automobile engines. So for southern CA, electric cars make sense
>>from an air pollution standpoint. Plus, they can be charged overnight when demand is low.
>>
>>Other areas may not have the same circumstances.
>>
>>Matt O.
>>

> Reducing consumption would be a good place to start. I think Californians showed it could be done
> during the rolling black-outs. (Whether or not there was ever a real power shortage is mixed up
> somewhere with Enron's and the Bushies' criminal activities)

Zoot what I would like to know is did those turkeys ever pay us the hydro bills they owed us...BC
Hydro should have cut them off if they didn't.

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:19:00 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Edward Dike, III"
<[email protected]> wrote a petty diatribe, based on unsubstantiated opinion, decrying
climate change:

>| Environmental gains are immediately apparent when one's spit isn't blackened with tailpipe
>| emissions. Automobile exhaust is poisonous or are you ready to deny that too.
>| --
>| zk
>
>From your last 2 sentences, I have to assume you've been sucking on a tailpipe, which is more than
>I need to know about anyone.
>
>With apologies to everyone else for reponding at zk's level.
>
>ED3.

You're dreaming.
--
zk

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:47:15 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a
i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:

>I think that if we can get beyond the over-regulation of the nuclear power industry, then we might
>be able to make the move to more electric powered vehicles.

I was expecting that from you. You keep pushing this **** without having yet figured out how to
dispose of its byproduct which is the deadliest **** found on this planet.

You must be happy the Shrubby-dub signed a bill permitting all those old plants, you know - the ones
scheduled to shut-down as they reach the end of their service lives because they're starting to
crack, to stay online. WOOHOO! Aren't we lucky!

The sun is as close as anybody should live to a nuclear reactor.
--
zk

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Matt, go back and re-read that article. You will see that most of California's electricity is
> coming from other states. Their "green" forms
of
> electricity are neither powerful enough nor consistent enough to meet California's needs. As for
> nuclear power, environmentalists have regulated nuclear power out of the market. It's too
> expensive to build new plants because of the regulations ushered into place by "environmental"
> concerns.

No one's talking about building new plants (or knocking down old ones), but working with what we
already have. There are plenty of smart people at the CARB who have discovered that if we converted
10% of our vehicle fleet to electric power, there would be a big net gain in air quality. Thus the
electric vehicle mandate, which has since been rolled back by auto industry lobbyists. GM is even
crushing the EV-1 lease returns, lest anyone get any more uppity ideas.

Matt O.

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:19:53 GMT, <[email protected]>, Mike Latondresse
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot what I would like to know is did those turkeys ever pay us the hydro bills they owed us...BC
>Hydro should have cut them off if they didn't.

AFAIK, they declared bankruptcy owing us about $285 million US! We subsidised electic bills for
Californians.
--
zk

"Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > The car centric culture is serving most people quite well.
> >
> > In exactly the same way high-cholesterol diets and no exercise served
> people
> > quite well when they cared more about how girth was a sign of status and less about how blocked
> > arteries kill you.
> >
> Oh man, you are so funny.

I always enjoy giving people a chance to laugh. And laughter is one of the best ways of relieving
stress -- as good as cycling, although not as long-lasting.

Driving, on the other hand, is very stressful, and since you appear to spend a lot of time behind
the wheel, helping you relax could be considered a public service.

Glad I could help.

RichC

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:47:15 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m
> a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
>
> >I think that if we can get beyond the over-regulation of the nuclear
power
> >industry, then we might be able to make the move to more electric powered vehicles.
>
> I was expecting that from you. You keep pushing this **** without having yet figured out how to
> dispose of its byproduct which is the deadliest **** found on this planet.

Touch a nerve, did I? I like how I have become personally responsible for the presence of all
nuclear plants on the planet. Nuclear waste is a bad thing. But it is no worse than any of the
alternatives. Hydro-electric is damaging to ecosystems. Wind is impractical and kills birds. Solar
requires greater energy input to create the cells than they can generate over their lifetime.
Geothermal is only available in areas that are geologically unstable. Wave generators distrupt the
near-shore environment. Fossil fuels generate more pollution.

Should we all just give it up, move to a more tropical environment and give up technology?

> You must be happy the Shrubby-dub signed a bill permitting all those old plants, you know - the
> ones scheduled to shut-down as they reach the end of their service lives because they're starting
> to crack, to stay online. WOOHOO! Aren't we lucky!

If they don't stay online, then where are we going to get our energy from? We need new plants using
new technologies which have proven to be safer and less wasteful in other countries.

> The sun is as close as anybody should live to a nuclear reactor.

According to the latest geological theory, we might be living on top of one giant reactor. The
center of the earth may not be the big ball of nickel like we were taught in middle school.

Even more interesting - some of the latest technologies are very effective at reducing waste
toxicity and volume. Go check it out for yourself: http://www.cmt.anl.gov/

-Buck

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Jones wrote:
> "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:35:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Oh man, you are so funny.
>>
>> That may or may not be. But, I'm laughing at you.
> I will be laughing at you as you pedal your bike while I drive by in a red Corvette.

Haha. That makes you even more laughable that you think there's something superior about driving a
red Corvette versus riding a bike. I would venture to say that many of us could probably afford a
red Corvette if we truly wanted one. At least for my part, however, I've never really considered my
choice of car important to my self esteem. You do, apparantly, and that makes you even funnier.

Preston

PS - Did you know that during the 80s The Artist Formerly Known as Prince's Girlfriend drove a
"Little Red Corvette"? At least, he sang about this. Personally, I think that makes your bragging
about doing the same less manly on many levels.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Jones wrote:
> "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:35:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Oh man, you are so funny.
>>
>> That may or may not be. But, I'm laughing at you.
> I will be laughing at you as you pedal your bike while I drive by in a red Corvette.

One more thing. Why is it that people like you feel superior because you can drive a car? Driving a
car isn't hard. A total moron could do it correctly. You're sitting there, operating pedals, a wheel
and maybe a stick shift. Oooohhh. How impressive. Unless you built the car yourself or push it under
your own power I'm not impressed.

At least cyclists actually use their own bodies in large part to move themselves. That's much more
impressive than being able to operate a car competently. And forget the fact that many motorists
can't even operate their car competently.

Preston

"Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Even with trains, materials still had to be taken off the train and transported by horse drawn
> cart. The entire process was much slower than it is now.

I have a postcard my great-grandfather sent to my great-grandmother in about 1908. He mailed it one
morning from the north of England to south, and it basically says "I'll be home on the
mid-afternoon train."

It was received in time.

I'm willing to believe horses, and possibly bicycles, were involved.

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The rolling blackouts were good evidence that reducing consumption is not enough. When that
> debacle was happening, other states were unwilling to
send
> additional power because they still had to meet demand in their own local areas.
A major part of the problem in California is a shortage of electical transmission capacity between
northern and southern California.

At the time of the rolling blackouts, they couldn't get the power to where it was needed because
some the power lines were carrying as much power as they could handle. It isn't just a matter of
having enough power, but you also have to be able to get it to where it is needed.

Maybe he doesn't have such bad traffic when he drives. Also, attitude also makes a difference. I
grew up in NYC (bklyn) where most drivers are very competitive. Living in the burbs a few years
cured me of that. Some idiot insists on merging ahead of me even though it's my turn, well go
ahead buddy, enjoy. My drive will last 2 seconds longer than his but my life will probably be 10
years longer.

Ben

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:50:35 -0500, "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Driving, on the other hand, is very stressful.
>> Not for me. I enjoy driving.
>
>It's common to enjoy things that cause stress. But try strapping on an EKG and a blood pressure
>monitor while you drive, some time.
>
>RichC

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:46:18 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a
i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:

>"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:47:15 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m
>> a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
>>
>> >I think that if we can get beyond the over-regulation of the nuclear
>power
>> >industry, then we might be able to make the move to more electric powered vehicles.
>>
>> I was expecting that from you. You keep pushing this **** without having yet figured out how to
>> dispose of its byproduct which is the deadliest **** found on this planet.
>
>Touch a nerve, did I? I like how I have become personally responsible for the presence of all
>nuclear plants on the planet.

Not at all. But you're the one who ALWAYS brings up nuclear power as the answer for our energy
needs. I feel you've a vested interest in it. Remove the subsidies given to the nuclear plants
and then compare the cost. Wind, solar, and nuclear power received approximately $150 billion
in cumulative Federal subsidies over roughly 50 years. Of that, roughly 95 percent went to
nuclear power.

>Nuclear waste is a bad thing.

Nuclear waste is deadly and will remain so for hundreds of thousands of years. There is no permanent
nor safe way to contain it. Mining, uranium enrichment and transportation all require the use of
fossil fuels so saying there is no CO2 produced by nuclear power is, well. . . a lie.

> But it is no worse than any of the alternatives. Hydro-electric is damaging to ecosystems.

No more than uranium and coal mining. A reactor leak or an oil spill has a global impact.

>Wind is impractical and kills birds.

********, plain and simple! You've been sucked in or you're being deliberately disingenuous. A 2
year study of 7000 turbines resulted in 182 dead birds. Cars or cats alone kill more birds in a day.
That the smoke stack huggers and nuke mutants have hit on this is the surest sign that the
technology works! Wind farms can be built and brought online within 6 months of approval. All the
parts can be mass produced providing an economy of scale you'll never see with coal, gas or nuke
plants. Add the fact that they're more readily acceptable to consumers than any nuclear plant and
you'll see why it's the fastest growing segment of the energy industry.

> Solar requires greater energy input to create the cells than they can generate over their
> lifetime.

Photovoltaic arrays easily pay for themselves over their service life and there are new technologies
being developed which bring down the cost per kilowatt. The cladding materials typically used on
skyscrapers are more expensive than PV panels. The oldest PV systems have been producing electricity
everyday for over 50 years and are still working.

>Geothermal is only available in areas that are geologically unstable.

Bad places to put nuclear plants too, though it's been done. But so what, we just move the power to
the grid like any other facility.

>Wave generators distrupt the near-shore environment. Fossil fuels generate more pollution.
>
>Should we all just give it up, move to a more tropical environment and give up technology?

Crash a jetliner into a reactor dome and another into a windmill. Now go pick up the pieces. You
have to be insane to believe nuclear power is a sound investment.

>> You must be happy the Shrubby-dub signed a bill permitting all those old plants, you know - the
>> ones scheduled to shut-down as they reach the end of their service lives because they're starting
>> to crack, to stay online. WOOHOO! Aren't we lucky!
>
>If they don't stay online, then where are we going to get our energy from?

If they were all removed from service today it would hardly be noticed. Efficient appliances
can save four to five times more energy than all the nuclear plants produce and at a fraction
of the cost.

>We need new plants using new technologies which have proven to be safer and less wasteful in other
>countries.
>
>> The sun is as close as anybody should live to a nuclear reactor.
>
>According to the latest geological theory, we might be living on top of one giant reactor. The
>center of the earth may not be the big ball of nickel like we were taught in middle school.
>
>Even more interesting - some of the latest technologies are very effective at reducing waste
>toxicity and volume. Go check it out for yourself: http://www.cmt.anl.gov/

It's all R&D now. Just pie in the sky and plain old guessing. Who has 500,000 years to see if it
really does work?

--
zk

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<buck>
> >power

<zk>
> >> I was expecting that from you. You keep pushing this **** without
having
> >> yet figured out how to dispose of its byproduct which is the deadliest **** found on this
> >> planet.

<buck>
> >Touch a nerve, did I? I like how I have become personally responsible for the presence of all
> >nuclear plants on the planet.
>
> Not at all. But you're the one who ALWAYS brings up nuclear power as the answer for our energy
> needs. I feel you've a vested interest in it. Remove the subsidies given to the nuclear plants
> and then compare the cost. Wind, solar, and nuclear power received approximately $150 billion
> in cumulative Federal subsidies over roughly 50 years. Of that, roughly 95 percent went to
> nuclear power.

OK, let's put a big WHOA!! on that one. A quick Google search brings up 7 hits with me as author and
"nuclear power" as the phrase of interest. Of those, there are only three unique threads discussing
power, and this is one. The same phrase search without an author picks up 110 hits. I'm hardly the
one that "ALWAYS" brings it up.

I have no vested interest in nuclear power other than as a consumer. As for your subsidy question,
let's standardize those numbers by gigawatt-hours of electricty produced. Since you didn't provide a
link to your source, I have to believe they are suspect. Please note that I try hard to provide
references to any numbers I produce. I guess it's the scientist in me - never quote a statistic
without a citation.

> Nuclear waste is deadly and will remain so for hundreds of thousands of years. There is no
> permanent nor safe way to contain it. Mining, uranium enrichment and transportation all require
> the use of fossil fuels so saying there is no CO2 produced by nuclear power is, well. . . a lie.

Please don't infer that I said anything about nuclear power not directly or indirectly producing
CO2. I have said nothing of the sort. But since you bring it up....

Every technology has an investment cost. Those that proclaim that the electric car is the answer to
our problems (or Segways, for that matter) are deluding themselves. There are investments in
materials, manufacturing, and generating electricity - all which exact an environmental cost.

As for taking care of nuclear wastes, you obviously didn't read the material I linked to. They are
coming up with ways to detoxify and minimize the amounts of radioactive waste. As research and
technology advances, we will find better ways of getting rid of it. Considering the amounts of
energy (and environmental degradation) that go into providing fuel for other types of electrical
generation, I think nuclear is the better way to go.

> > But it is no worse than any of the alternatives. Hydro-electric is damaging to ecosystems.
>
> No more than uranium and coal mining. A reactor leak or an oil spill has a global impact.

An oil spill has a global impact? A reactor leak does too? Sheesh, show me some evidence for those
claims. The amount of waste from uranium and coal mining are certainly higher than other forms of
electrical generation, but uranium is the lesser of the two evils. "A 1000 MWe light water reactor
uses about 25 tonnes of enriched uranium a year, requiring the mining of some 50,000 tonnes of
uranium ore. By comparison, a 1000 MWe coal-fired power station requires the mining, transportation,
storage and burning of about
3.2 million tonnes of black coal per year." (http://www.uic.com.au/wast.htm)

> >Wind is impractical and kills birds.
>
> ********, plain and simple! You've been sucked in or you're being deliberately disingenuous. A 2
> year study of 7000 turbines resulted in 182 dead birds. Cars or cats alone kill more birds in a
> day. That the smoke stack huggers and nuke mutants have hit on this is the surest sign that the
> technology works! Wind farms can be built and brought online within 6 months of approval. All the
> parts can be mass produced providing an economy of scale you'll never see with coal, gas or nuke
> plants. Add the fact that they're more readily acceptable to consumers than any nuclear plant and
> you'll see why it's the fastest growing segment of the energy industry.

I stand by my assertion that wind generation is impractical. Maybe it doesn't kill as many birds as
some suggest (I was taking my information from the site I quoted), but it does have an environmental
impact. It is also an unsteady source of energy. It could be stabilized by adding batteries into the
mix, but those exact an environmental cost as well.

The only difference between the acceptability of the different technologies is the amount of
experience people have with them. This is all about perceived, actual, and relative risk. Many
people perceive cycling as a particularly risky activity but the actual risk is really low,
especially when compared to other activities. The perception of risk changes with exposure. That's
why people who drive cars think of it as a relatively riskless activity, but in fact it is much
riskier than cycling. Acceptability to consumers is a function of education, and the
environmentalists have been crying wolf about the risks of nuclear facilities, playing on the fears
of the populace.

You still haven't addressed the issue of the amount of turbines required to generate enough
electricity to make them work for the majority of the world.

> > Solar requires greater energy input to create the cells than they can
generate over their
> >lifetime.
>
> Photovoltaic arrays easily pay for themselves over their service life and there are new
> technologies being developed which bring down the cost per kilowatt. The cladding materials
> typically used on skyscrapers are more expensive than PV panels. The oldest PV systems have been
> producing electricity everyday for over 50 years and are still working.

Here's a quote from a study which compares the relative lifetime impact of different technologies
for generating electricity: "Comparing all the life cycles across impact categories (Figure 2-3-10)
shows that in these four categories the PWR (pressurized water reactor - nuclear powered)
electricity cycle has the lowest impact. The fossil fuel-derived electricity contributes most to the
greenhouse effect, while oil and coal have the largest impact on acidification. Of the fossil fuels,
natural gas-fired power stations (not CCGT) have the lowest impacts in all categories except for
resource depletion where the larger coal reserves relative to oil and gas reserves mean that
coal-fired electricity has the lowest impact in this category. The not-insignificant impact of
photovoltaics is also demonstrated, although these result to a large extent from the impacts of
current methods of electricity production and (except for acidification) are much lower than fossil
fuel-fired electricity generation" (http://www.rcep.org.uk/studies/energy/98-6067/michaelis.html)

> >Geothermal is only available in areas that are geologically unstable.
>
> Bad places to put nuclear plants too, though it's been done. But so what, we just move the power
> to the grid like any other facility.

Hehe, poor planning is alive and well in all realms.

> > >Wave generators distrupt the near-shore environment. Fossil fuels
> >generate more pollution.
> >
> >Should we all just give it up, move to a more tropical environment and
give
> >up technology?
> >
> Crash a jetliner into a reactor dome and another into a windmill. Now go pick up the pieces. You
> have to be insane to believe nuclear power is a sound investment.

And what are the real risks of this happening? According to the NRC, these are located well outside
of major population centers, even outside of small population centers. The risk to human life is
small. Let's also not forget that these things are designed to contain an out-of-control reaction.
Sure, some terrorist could ruin our day, but the risks of that really happening are really small. I
guess I must be insane. I support a technology that produces little waste, produces lots of energy
consistently, can do it in a relatively small space and with little risk at a low cost.

> >> You must be happy the Shrubby-dub signed a bill permitting all those
old
> >> plants, you know - the ones scheduled to shut-down as they reach the
end
> >> of their service lives because they're starting to crack, to stay online. WOOHOO! Aren't we
> >> lucky!
> >
> >If they don't stay online, then where are we going to get our energy
from?

> If they were all removed from service today it would hardly be noticed. Efficient appliances
> can save four to five times more energy than all the nuclear plants produce and at a fraction
> of the cost.

Now who is full of BS? The U.S. Department of Energy indicates that nuclear power generates 20% of
our electricity. If we could get EVERYONE to replace their appliances at the same time with
affordable energy-efficient appliances, we MIGHT be able to equal the generating capacity of the
nuclear facilities. But four to five times? HAH! At a fraction of the cost? Nuclear is the cheapest
method for generating electricity according to the article I cited earlier.

> >We need new plants using new technologies which have proven to be safer
and
> >less wasteful in other countries.
> >
> >> The sun is as close as anybody should live to a nuclear reactor.
> >
> >According to the latest geological theory, we might be living on top of
one
> >giant reactor. The center of the earth may not be the big ball of nickel like we were taught in
> >middle school.
> >
> >Even more interesting - some of the latest technologies are very
effective
> >at reducing waste toxicity and volume. Go check it out for yourself: http://www.cmt.anl.gov/
> >
> It's all R&D now. Just pie in the sky and plain old guessing. Who has 500,000 years to see if it
> really does work?

Nope. Some of it is in use. I'll use your typical tactic and just say it is true without providing
any evidence. Alright, I'll step back and say that there is/was a processing plant in Massachusetts
at which one of my relatives worked until he decided that Texas life was better and moved back home.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all technologies for energy generation. Some exact a
smaller toll on our world, but are less reliable and take up more space (which is, in and of itself,
an undesirable thing). Some have greater risks, but the risk is insignificantly small compared to
the payback.

I liken this to the choice between steel, aluminum and titanium bikes. There are different reasons
for choosing each and none are the perfect material for all riders.

-Buck

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Brian
Huntley) writes:

> I have a postcard my great-grandfather sent to my great-grandmother in about 1908. He mailed it
> one morning from the north of England to south, and it basically says "I'll be home on the
> mid-afternoon train."
>
> It was received in time.
>
> I'm willing to believe horses, and possibly bicycles, were involved.

Last night I tuned in for the first time, and quite by accident, to "Uncle Silas Stories" on PBS.
The stories themselves were okay, I guess, when they didn't wax too maudlin. But I particularly
enjoyed looking at the contemporaneous props, sets, paraphernalia and apparatus. Including the
nurse's cargo-carrying trike, and the town constable's bicycle with the brass acetylene headlamp.
The horse-drawn ambulance was a work of art.

I'm not suggesting retrogessing. I'm just saying, I enjoyed looking at (and thinking about) the
old stuff.

It also warmed my heart to see sunny, bucolic, florific days, while freezing my dogs off on a
concrete basement floor, in a Vancouver January.

cheers, Tom