Bad news in Telford but not so bad elsewhere

[email protected] wrote:
> A driver who used his truck to run down one of a group of club cyclists
> riding two abreast on a four lane suburban road was sentenced to 12
> months house arrest.
>
> See News at: http://www.vehicularcyclist.com

Same force that charged the cyclist for riding on the road?

peter

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]>typed

> [email protected] wrote:
> > A driver who used his truck to run down one of a group of club cyclists
> > riding two abreast on a four lane suburban road was sentenced to 12
> > months house arrest.
> >
> > See News at: http://www.vehicularcyclist.com

> Same force that charged the cyclist for riding on the road?

> peter

I don't think Ottawa Police stretches to Telford... ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A driver who used his truck to run down one of a group of club cyclists
> riding two abreast on a four lane suburban road was sentenced to 12
> months house arrest.
>
> See News at: http://www.vehicularcyclist.com

Two bits of the report leap out at me...

"Defence lawyer Kimberley Pegg suggested a fine and probation was
appropriate because, she said, there was "no malevolence" intended by her
client."

Obviously this is a new meaning of the word 'malevolence' that I haven't
come across before.

"She [the judge] did, however, note that there was no alcohol involved and
that Mr. Martin 'did not drive complainant down and back over him again' as
had happened in other similar cases."

Probably best not to move to Ottawa then.

Rob Oldfield wrote:

> "She [the judge] did, however, note that there was no alcohol involved
> and that Mr. Martin 'did not drive complainant down and back over him
> again' as had happened in other similar cases."

So it's fine to run over someone, as long as you only run them over
once?

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the

Stevie D wrote on 10/08/2006 22:55 +0100:
> Rob Oldfield wrote:
>
>> "She [the judge] did, however, note that there was no alcohol involved
>> and that Mr. Martin 'did not drive complainant down and back over him
>> again' as had happened in other similar cases."

> So it's fine to run over someone, as long as you only run them over
> once?

North American lawyers expect people to reverse back over them if they
get run over ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

> Stevie D wrote on 10/08/2006 22:55 +0100:
> > Rob Oldfield wrote:
> >
> >> "She [the judge] did, however, note that there was no alcohol involved
> >> and that Mr. Martin 'did not drive complainant down and back over him
> >> again' as had happened in other similar cases."

> > So it's fine to run over someone, as long as you only run them over
> > once?
> >

> North American lawyers expect people to reverse back over them if they
> get run over ;-)

Two words:

Carl Baxter.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Stevie D wrote on 10/08/2006 22:55 +0100:
> > Rob Oldfield wrote:
> >
> >> "She [the judge] did, however, note that there was no alcohol involved
> >> and that Mr. Martin 'did not drive complainant down and back over him
> >> again' as had happened in other similar cases."

> > So it's fine to run over someone, as long as you only run them over
> > once?
> >

> North American lawyers expect people to reverse back over them if they
> get run over ;-)
> --
> Tony

There were some curious statements made by both the judge and the
defence. I suppose you'd expect them from counsel for the defence, eg,
"this was at the low end of the scale of bad driving", but I don't know
what caused the judge to say what he said. Maybe he has been the victim
of such behaviour.

One thing not reported was that the driver's son unintentially blurted
out in court that his father laughed all the way home. Obviously
defence counsel didn't brief him on keeping his mouth shut.

We have another case coming up soon involving a driver that did indeed
run over the bike of a cyclist that the latter had left it in front of
a car in order to go talk to the irate driver. Fortunately we have a
pretty well informed local police department who take such incidents
very seriously. Our traffic laws accord the same rights to cyclists
that motor vehicle drivers have so the Telford case could neverend up
in court. This is not true everywhere in North America. Police
harassment occurs frequently in other jurisdictions and laws may be
different.

[email protected] wrote on 11/08/2006 04:13 +0100:
> Fortunately we have a
> pretty well informed local police department who take such incidents
> very seriously. Our traffic laws accord the same rights to cyclists
> that motor vehicle drivers have so the Telford case could neverend up
> in court.

That's what worries me about Telford. This isn't a couple of local
coppers having a go at cyclists. It also needed the CPS to believe
there was a case to prosecute and the Judge agreeing with them for the
conviction. Why all of a sudden when cyclists have been riding like
that for years and in this cyclist's case, at least two years?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]>typed
>

> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > A driver who used his truck to run down one of a group of club cyclists
> > > riding two abreast on a four lane suburban road was sentenced to 12
> > > months house arrest.
> > >
> > > See News at: http://www.vehicularcyclist.com

> > Same force that charged the cyclist for riding on the road?

> > peter

> I don't think Ottawa Police stretches to Telford... ;-)
>
> --
> Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
> Edgware.

Eh?A s they say in Ottawa, It seems to say Telford to me.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

John Kane wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> > > Same force that charged the cyclist for riding on the road?

> > > peter

> > I don't think Ottawa Police stretches to Telford... ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
> > Edgware.

> Eh?A s they say in Ottawa, It seems to say Telford to me.

The OP was referring to the case of the Ottowan truck driver punished
for driving cyclists off the road and comparing it to that of the
Telford cyclist

best wishes
james