Bad news

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/articles/2007/04/29/1177787975156.html

Cyclist's passion inspired family
By MARIO CHRISTODOULOU
April 30, 2007

THE sight of Year 10 students Alex Tomlinson and Ben Mikic cycling
through Mittagong of an afternoon was not unusual.

The two best mates, both aged 15, were mad about their cycling and
trained almost every day after school.

Last Friday was no different, but as the pair cycled through the
intersection of Bowral Rd and Bessemer St just after 5pm they collided
with a Honda CRV.

Alex was rushed to Liverpool Hospital suffering non life-threatening
injuries and was yesterday talking with family and friends.

Ben, however, died at the scene.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/articles/2007/04/29/1177787975156.html

Cyclist's passion inspired family
By MARIO CHRISTODOULOU
April 30, 2007

THE sight of Year 10 students Alex Tomlinson and Ben Mikic cycling
through Mittagong of an afternoon was not unusual.

The two best mates, both aged 15, were mad about their cycling and
trained almost every day after school.

Last Friday was no different, but as the pair cycled through the
intersection of Bowral Rd and Bessemer St just after 5pm they collided
with a Honda CRV.

Alex was rushed to Liverpool Hospital suffering non life-threatening
injuries and was yesterday talking with family and friends.

Ben, however, died at the scene.
This is very sad. The effect this tragedy is having on Ben's family, Friends and community is deeply felt and very devastating.

Thankfully Alex escaped with his life and although injured my heart goes out to him for what he witnessed and is going through. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

To Ben's family and members of the Southern Highlands Cycling Club , my deepest sympathy for the loss of a fine young man.

rooman said:
To Ben's family and members of the Southern Highlands Cycling Club , my deepest sympathy for the loss of a fine young man.

Speechless after reading that article. Horrible and I can't even begin to imagine what the families are going through and the poor kid that survived, when he recovers fully.

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:03:46 +1000
rooman <[email protected]> wrote:

> To Ben's family and members of the Southern Highlands Cycling Club , my
> deepest sympathy for the loss of a fine young man.

Brought up, it seems, by an exceptional family.

'The 52-year-old driver of the Honda, from Mittagong, was interviewed
by police after the crash, but Ms Mikic is adamant the family do not
want her charged over Ben's death.

"It was an accident, I know that," she said.

"We don't hold any grudges. I just want to send her our love, because
she must be grieving too, and let her know that we're thinking of
her."'

Zebee

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In aus.bicycle on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:03:46 +1000
> rooman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> To Ben's family and members of the Southern Highlands Cycling Club , my
>> deepest sympathy for the loss of a fine young man.
>>

> Brought up, it seems, by an exceptional family.
>
> 'The 52-year-old driver of the Honda, from Mittagong, was interviewed
> by police after the crash, but Ms Mikic is adamant the family do not
> want her charged over Ben's death.
>
> "It was an accident, I know that," she said.
>
> "We don't hold any grudges. I just want to send her our love, because
> she must be grieving too, and let her know that we're thinking of
> her."'
>

> Zebee

An accident means nobody was at fault, so lets hope it was such.

MikeyOz said:
Speechless after reading that article. Horrible and I can't even begin to imagine what the families are going through and the poor kid that survived, when he recovers fully.

Posted the HS article this evening onto WoJ, since then a couple of Ben friends have been leaving comments as if to say goodbye.

Really don't know else to say. :(

Paul Yates wrote:
> "Zebee Johnstone" wrote

>> Brought up, it seems, by an exceptional family.
>>
>> 'The 52-year-old driver of the Honda, from Mittagong, was interviewed
>> by police after the crash, but Ms Mikic is adamant the family do not
>> want her charged over Ben's death.
>>
>> "It was an accident, I know that," she said.
>>
>> "We don't hold any grudges. I just want to send her our love, because
>> she must be grieving too, and let her know that we're thinking of
>> her."'

> An accident means nobody was at fault, so lets hope it was such.

Very sad. I can't imagine an accident at an intersection where no-one is in
error. It's usually both parties that share the cause.

Theo