bad (rancid) cooking oil 411

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mm, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Mm

    Mm Guest

    Hi,

    I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking oil while making some
    waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a
    little disturbed. No vomiting or otherwise, just a queasy feeling. It was too early for me to notice
    the bad smell, and I didn't know that oil went bad....That bad anyway!

    Is there anything I should do? I tossed the oil and will smell any oil before using it in the
    future. Should I expect worse, or after ten hours am I safe to assume the worst is over?

    Thanks for any help.

    Tags:

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    mm wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking oil while making some
    > waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a
    > little disturbed. No vomiting or otherwise, just a queasy feeling. It was too early for me to
    > notice the bad smell, and I didn't know that oil went bad....That bad anyway!
    >
    > Is there anything I should do? I tossed the oil and will smell any oil before using it in the
    > future. Should I expect worse, or after ten hours am I safe to assume the worst is over?

    Something else may have been at work. You can smell truly rancid oil even if you're asleep.
    Rancidity won't generally make you sick. It's not that kind of spoilage. Might look at your other
    ingredients while you're at it.

    Pastorio

  3. -L.

    -L. Guest

    "mm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking oil while making some
    > waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been a
    > little disturbed. No vomiting or otherwise, just a queasy feeling. It was too early for me to
    > notice the bad smell, and I didn't know that oil went bad....That bad anyway!
    >
    > Is there anything I should do? I tossed the oil and will smell any oil before using it in the
    > future. Should I expect worse, or after ten hours am I safe to assume the worst is over?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Probably ok if it has been 10 hours. Yuck. You have my sympathy!

    -L.

  4. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    "Bob (this one)" wrote:

    > mm wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I--apparently--made the bone-headed manuever of using some rancid cooking oil while making some
    > > waffles this morning. All day I have had the taste leftover in my mouth, and my stomach has been
    > > a little disturbed.
    >
    > Something else may have been at work.

    I vote for the placebo effect. Taste something manky and you think it'll make you sick. The smell
    and taste part of our brains are very "emotional", IMO. blacksalt big believer of the placebo
    effect, who despite all self-coaching, *always* gets queasy the first time I take a new drug. Never
    after the first time, just the first time.

  5. Mm

    Mm Guest

    "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I vote for the placebo effect. Taste something manky and you think it'll make you sick. The smell
    > and taste part of our brains are very "emotional", IMO. blacksalt big believer of the placebo
    > effect, who despite all self-coaching, *always* gets queasy the first time I take a new drug.
    > Never after the first time, just the first time.

    That's brilliant, except for the fact that two people experienced the same problems. And it's
    Tuesday morning, and I can still smell remnants of that bad oil in the kitchen! Thanks anyway...