Bad spin/adjustment on rear wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Risto Varanka, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. What can cause your wheels to spin less freely? I remounted the rear wheel on my trike, and only
    touched the QR. Now when I spin it, it doesn't spin even half as long as the front wheels. Same
    thing, only more pronounced on my old bike, though I admit taking a quick look at the bearings on
    that one...

    Could it be the QR, the bearings, or what? My QR is tighter this time on the rear wheel, but I
    thought they are supposed to be very tight?

  2. Michael

    Michael Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > What can cause your wheels to spin less freely? I remounted the rear wheel on my trike, and only
    > touched the QR. Now when I spin it, it doesn't spin even half as long as the front wheels. Same
    > thing, only more pronounced on my old bike, though I admit taking a quick look at the bearings on
    > that one...
    >
    > Could it be the QR, the bearings, or what? My QR is tighter this time on the rear wheel, but I
    > thought they are supposed to be very tight?
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

    Could be QR, bearings, or both. Changing tightness of QR (probably) changes bearing preload.
    Increasing preload past optimum point actually adds drag ... and puts needless stress on cone,
    bearings, bearing race.

  3. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    Michael <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > What can cause your wheels to spin less freely? I remounted the rear wheel on my trike, and only
    > > touched the QR. Now when I spin it, it doesn't spin even half as long as the front wheels. Same
    > > thing, only more pronounced on my old bike, though I admit taking a quick look at the bearings
    > > on that one...
    > >
    > > Could it be the QR, the bearings, or what? My QR is tighter this time on the rear wheel, but I
    > > thought they are supposed to be very tight?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi
    >

    > Could be QR, bearings, or both. Changing tightness of QR (probably) changes bearing preload.
    > Increasing preload past optimum point actually adds drag ... and puts needless stress on cone,
    > bearings, bearing race.

    In many rear hub designs the cassette bearings also rotate when coasting, adding to the drag.