Bad to hang bike upside down by wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Weissman

Will it harm my bike to hang it upside down with the wheels on hooks in the garage ceiling? Will it
warp the wheels or anything?

Thanks,
- Bob

In article <[email protected]>, Bob Weissman
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Will it harm my bike to hang it upside down with the wheels on hooks in the garage ceiling? Will
> it warp the wheels or anything?
>
> Thanks,
> - Bob

No, it's just harder to ride that way.

Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:27:44 GMT, <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Bob Weissman) wrote:

>Will it harm my bike to hang it upside down with the wheels on hooks in the garage ceiling? Will it
>warp the wheels or anything?
>
>Thanks,
>- Bob

What colour is the bike? I've never tried it with metallic paints but haven't had any problems with
the primary colours or white.
--
zk

"Bob Weissman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Will it harm my bike to hang it upside down with the wheels on hooks in the garage ceiling? Will
>
> Thanks,
> - Bob

No. If it would, I'd know. My father, now 80, hung his Free Spirit bike upside down in the garage
when they moved into the house, about 1980. So far as I know, it was never taken down from there
until he gave it to me earlier this year. Certainly it had not been ridden at all, nor moved in the
previous decade. The wheels were true.

A more serious potential problem with doing this is to make sure the kids don't use the bike as a
chin-up bar, or a pinata, or use the central triangle as a convenient spot to throw balls through.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> Thanks,
> - Bob
>

With open system disc brakes or many oil filled forks it will, otherwise, no.
--

x-no-archive:yes

>
> Thanks,
> - Bob

Bob, don't forget to cover the crank, chain, and rear wheel cogs to prevent dirt and dust from
settling there. Those greasy areas are dust-magnets , especially sawdust!

Pat in TX

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:27:44 GMT, [email protected] (Bob Weissman) wrote:

>Will it harm my bike to hang it upside down with the wheels on hooks in the garage ceiling? Will it
>warp the wheels or anything?

No, but the air will run to the top of the tyres so you'll have to leave it standing upright for
half an hour before riding it to get the pressure back to normal ;-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.