Bad week

Arthur Clune

Guest
Sigh.

My MTB got nicked on Friday. I was stupid and nipped into a shop to talk to someone without locking
it. In my defence I was approx 5cms from said bike on the other side of a plate glass window and
some git still managed to half-inch it in the 2 sec I had my back turned. Wankers.

Then yesterday I took my winter bike to the LBS to have a new headset fitted since it wasn't
steering very well. Went to pick it up after work to learn that they hadn't fitted the new headset
because the headtube was cracked. So that frame is now useless for anything except the turbo (which
is where it's going tonight).

Cycled in today on the fixed. At least that is both bombproof and not very nickable.

Sigh.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

On 12 Feb 2004 10:09:00 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sigh.
>
>My MTB got nicked on Friday. I was stupid and nipped into a shop to talk to someone without locking
>it. In my defence I was approx 5cms from said bike on the other side of a plate glass window and
>some git still managed to half-inch it in the 2 sec I had my back turned. Wankers.
>
>Then yesterday I took my winter bike to the LBS to have a new headset fitted since it wasn't
>steering very well. Went to pick it up after work to learn that they hadn't fitted the new headset
>because the headtube was cracked. So that frame is now useless for anything except the turbo (which
>is where it's going tonight).
>
>Cycled in today on the fixed. At least that is both bombproof and not very nickable.
>
>Sigh.

You could always do what i've done. Emigrate! it's summer over here.

Steve

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My MTB got nicked on Friday. I was stupid and nipped into a shop to talk to someone without
> locking it....

As locks are heavy things to lug about I tend to wheel my bike into the shop with me rather than
take any risk.

Commiserations, Arthur. Mine has not been as bad as yours, but I have had four visits from the
P+nct+r+e Fairy.

Monday: front gradually softens over the last couple of miles to work Tuesday: Rear blows out
sidewall in spectacular-bang-stylee. Front does repeat of Monday's performance on way home.
Thursday: Front flat on extracting bike from shed.

This is getting ridiculous/

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Now there's a mad thought for the day - a cyclists supermarket, where you cycle along the aisles.

Saw a post on the US cycling newsgroup about a group of cycling protestors who cycled round a
walmart store.

Surely Tesco would have to also ban baby buggies & wheelchairs which take up more room than a
bicycle. What about *wheeled* trolleys??

Do they have have any policy on bikes?

I will test it out in my tesco & report back....

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:02:19 +0000, Adrian Boliston wrote:
>

> > As locks are heavy things to lug about I tend to wheel my bike into the
shop with
> > me rather than take any risk.
> I agree. I've taken to doing that recently. If you're just in for a few minutes, and the shop is
> relatively empty I've not had anything said. Sadly wouldn't get away with in in Tescos though.
>
> Now there's a mad thought for the day - a cyclists supermarket, where you cycle along the aisles.
> Suppose there would have to be a one way system though... Anybody think of other major drawbacks
> to this idiot scheme?

As there aren't enough cyclists around to actually make it a profitable idea, it would have to be
done on a shared aisle basis.....inevitably leading to..... AISLE RAGE following lycra louts on
cycles conflicting with half a dozen OAPs blocking the entire aisle with their trolleys, without any
thought for other users.....nctt (no change there then!!) Dave. ;-)

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Surely Tesco would have to also ban baby buggies & wheelchairs which take
up more
> room than a bicycle. What about *wheeled* trolleys??

Hmmm. I wonder. Do small children riding in a supermarket trolley have to wear helmets under the
potential legislation.

4 wheels and human powered after all.

On 12/2/04 11:47 am, in article
[email protected], "John Hearns"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:02:19 +0000, Adrian Boliston wrote:
>

>> As locks are heavy things to lug about I tend to wheel my bike into the shop with me rather than
>> take any risk.
> I agree. I've taken to doing that recently. If you're just in for a few minutes, and the shop is
> relatively empty I've not had anything said. Sadly wouldn't get away with in in Tescos though.

have done, and B&Q too. Just wheel the bike in, plonk a basket on the back carrier and act like it's
totally normal. If the security guard winges just give him the bike to look after..

..d

W K wrote:

> "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
> > Surely Tesco would have to also ban baby buggies & wheelchairs which take
> up more
> > room than a bicycle. What about *wheeled* trolleys??
>
> Hmmm. I wonder. Do small children riding in a supermarket trolley have to wear helmets under the
> potential legislation.

Went into a supermarket a few years ago with two of my girls when 3 and 5. We were told to take off
their helmets as they were a "security risk".

John B

On 12/2/04 12:45 pm, in article
[email protected], "Adrian Boliston"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Martin Family" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC512490.D0BB%martin-
> [email protected]...
>
>> have done, and B&Q too. Just wheel the bike in, plonk a basket on the back carrier and act like
>> it's totally normal......
>
> Yep "act normal" is the key thing when doing something people may consider "cheeky" or "unusual"!

Best response was in B&Q where the 'greeter' offered to take my bike and look after it to save me
the bother of wheeling it around the store ;-) Now that is service.

..d

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Went into a supermarket a few years ago with two of my girls when 3 and 5. We were told to take
> off their helmets as they were a "security risk".

I often take my bike into our local HSBC to deposit cheques and have not been confronted regarding
my helmet, although bikers *are* required to remove helmets before entering the bank.

In article <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> writes
>My MTB got nicked on Friday. I was stupid and nipped into a shop to talk to someone without locking
>it. In my defence I was approx 5cms from said bike on the other side of a plate glass window and
>some git still managed to half-inch it in the 2 sec I had my back turned. Wankers.

When I had the 'pleasure' of living in Cambridge, I left my MTB outside a shop but with the wheel
poking in slightly so I could see it while buying a pint of milk. Within 15 secs there was a bloke
checking to see if it was locked. Not being a thieving git I'm amazed by how many opportunist
criminals there are.

The one thing I do if I'm risking it for 10 secs is put the bike into top-most gears so if someone
does do a quick run and jump you have a chance to catch 'em

--
John Openshaw

"John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The one thing I do if I'm risking it for 10 secs is put the bike into top-most gears so if someone
> does do a quick run and jump you have a chance to catch 'em

Just loosen the front skewer!

Adrian Boliston wrote:

> "John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > The one thing I do if I'm risking it for 10 secs is put the bike into top-most gears so if
> > someone does do a quick run and jump you have a chance to catch 'em
>
> Just loosen the front skewer!

On Parking my Brommie once, I undid the main hinge for just the same reason.

Unfortunately.... the road was very hard :-(

John B

On 12 Feb 2004 10:09:00 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

:)Sigh. ) )My MTB got nicked on Friday. I was stupid and nipped into a shop to )talk to someone
:without locking it. In my defence I was approx 5cms )from said bike on the other side of a plate
:glass window and some )git still managed to half-inch it in the 2 sec I had my back turned.
:)Wankers.

All depends where you are.

I've witnessed worse - a chap had his MTB nicked while standing next to it in a public square in
Birmingham.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:04:06 +0000, John Openshaw
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )When I had the 'pleasure' of living in Cambridge, I left my MTB outside )a shop but with the
:wheel poking in slightly so I could see it while )buying a pint of milk. Within 15 secs there was a
:bloke checking to see )if it was locked. Not being a thieving git I'm amazed by how many
:)opportunist criminals there are. )

Daft one I saw was a bike next to a sheffield stand and a lock through the bike and round the stand.
I was sorely tempted to lift the lot off and put it over a different stand in the set !
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:47:16 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:02:19 +0000, Adrian Boliston wrote: ) )> )> As locks are heavy things to
:lug about I tend to wheel my bike into the shop with )> me rather than take any risk. )I agree.
:I've taken to doing that recently. )If you're just in for a few minutes, and the shop is relatively
:empty )I've not had anything said. )Sadly wouldn't get away with in in Tescos though. ) )Now
:there's a mad thought for the day - a cyclists supermarket, )where you cycle along the aisles.
:)Suppose there would have to be a one way system though... )Anybody think of other major drawbacks
:to this idiot scheme?

How do you tow the trolley ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:22:11 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Steve Holdoway <[email protected]> wrote in )news:p[email protected]:
:) )> You could always do what i've done. Emigrate! it's summer over here. )> )> ) )There seems to
:be a lot of that about on URC. Bit bloody hot in Perth )though!

Like, er how warm ? Any engineering jobs going over there ?
--
Comm again, Mike.