Bad Weld/ Frame Replacement Claim...Valid?

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Can electrical tape wrapped around the manufacturer's name cure these
> problems?
>
> "I ride a Black Electrical Tape Two-Point-Oh."

You should upgrade to yellow electrical tape. It weighs a few nanograms
less because it reflects more photons rather than storing them, when
compared to black.

-Mike

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:44:17 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jeff Starr wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:50:27 -0500, Tim McNamara
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Well, since we can't see the picture anymore, who knows? And I am not
>>> sure that *anyone* could tell if a pinhole in a weld is of concern from
>>> a photo. Take it in to the dealer and see what they say- you've got
>>> nothing to lose except some time.

>> I think looking at the photo, you could tell that it wasn't an issue.
>> It is strictly cosmetic. From the photo, it could be a spec of dirt or
>> a pinhole. Either way, not a structural concern.
>>

>> Life is Good!
>> Jeff

>http://www.userealsugar.com/lemond_weld/weld.jpg
>
>A spot of dirt would rub off and I wouldn't have posted about that. It's
>a small hole in the joint.

Looking at that, I see no serious defect. This type of weld
irregularity is common in fact, and would only be a cause for concern
in extreme-stress pressure vessel and aerospace applications, not in a
bike frame. It's probably just the result of a **** bubble. The fact
that there's a visual pinhole at the surface does not prove much; the
hole would have to be just the top of a much larger defect before it
would be any cause for concern, and had it been such, the failure you
fear would already have taken place if there was going to be a failure
at all. With five years in service, I'd say that the frame's
reliability has been established. I'd dot some touch-up paint over it
and ride. It's not going to cause a failure IMO.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

G.T. wrote:

> >>So how many?
> >>
> >>4?
> >>
> >>Greg

> > On a day they're having a contest, yes, 4 might be the correct number.
> >
> > What's a "contest" day? That's when they're competing to see who can ride in
> > on the coldest-possible day. Minimum 25 mile commute. A couple years ago, it
> > was something like -22F, straight (no windchill factored in).
> >
> > What's the coldest day you've commuted to work?

> 38 degrees in shorts and t-shirt. That's why I live in So Cal, I don't
> have to commute in -22F weather.
>
> Keep promoting your megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy behemoth of
> a vendor all you want

Very well said!

> I still won't be buying TLKF.

Trek, LeMond, Klein and Fisher; once makers of interesting, worthwhile
bicycles all. And now....

I guess the public gets what they want: over-hyped, over-marketed,
flashy, trendy BS.

In article <[email protected]>,
Franz Bestuchev <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeff Starr wrote:
> > On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:50:27 -0500, Tim McNamara
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Well, since we can't see the picture anymore, who knows? And I am
> >> not sure that *anyone* could tell if a pinhole in a weld is of
> >> concern from a photo. Take it in to the dealer and see what they
> >> say- you've got nothing to lose except some time.

> > I think looking at the photo, you could tell that it wasn't an
> > issue. It is strictly cosmetic. From the photo, it could be a spec
> > of dirt or a pinhole. Either way, not a structural concern.
> >
> > Life is Good! Jeff

> http://www.userealsugar.com/lemond_weld/weld.jpg
>
> A spot of dirt would rub off and I wouldn't have posted about that.
> It's a small hole in the joint.

That's better. Looks like a hole. Question is whether it's a hole in
the weld or just a hole in the paint; and if it's a hole in the weld,
whether it is significant. Can you stick some kind of probe, like a
dental pick, into it any significant distance? If it's just a hole in
the paint, e.g., a bubble, then no problem. I'd expect in that case
that you couldn't insert the probe more than the thickness of the paint.
If it goes in deeper, I'd have a chat with the local dealer about it.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Franz Bestuchev wrote:
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

>>> Is there another place you could put it?
>>>
>>> http://www.imagevenue.com/ is a popular free image-posting site.

>> http://www.userealsugar.com/lemond_weld/weld.jpg
>>
>> That's as representative as any of the other angles I shot pics of
>> were.

> Thank you. I would have brought it up at the time of purchase. As a bike
> shop employee, I would be inclined to believe it to be a trivial detail. If
> I were a customer, I would want my LBS to take care of me. I say ask and
> see how willing they are to work with you.

The problem is that the shop I bought it from is 1200 miles away. I
should have noticed it at the time I bought it - but I guess I was just
too excited, I really can't say.

I then got in a car wreck that put me out of commission for the summer,
and moved into an apartment in an area where there was just no biking
available.

I've since moved to a spot that's excellent for riding and have been car
free since last oct and been riding around on an older mountain bike all
winter. It finally got warm enough that I brought this bike out and
noticed the defect while giving it a thorough cleaning.

Then, just an hour or two after shooting this pic. for documentation to
take to my local Trek rep (because it *really* is pretty obvious that
this bike has less than 500 miles)...I skidded out and banged things up.

So I'm just going to see if I can find some paint to "fill in" the hole.

G.T. wrote:
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Well first of all, "rationalization" doesn't necessarily mean
>> dishonesty or even hypocrisy. (IOW, I didn't say or imply that you
>> DID promote anything -- other than Leno some time or other maybe?)
>> However, if you're bad-mouthing Mike for promoting the bikes he
>> sells while at the same time sucking off the teat of your
>> "megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy behemoth of an employer",
>> then perhaps a principled argument isn't your best tact. (Again,
>> /in this context/.) Besides, I'll bet if you owned an NBC affiliate
>> you'd promote the hell out of "your" programming.

> But I don't. I'm so far down the chain of command that I'm grateful
> that I don't have to cheerlead for a product I don't believe in.
> When I get closer to that point when I need to start cheerleading
> maybe I'll be in a better position to change jobs.

You once begged me to watch Blossom (don't deny it!); what about THAT, Mr.
T?!? (Do I /need/ a smiley thing here?!?)

>> A few years ago, I was in the market for my first road bike since
>> high school. Had absolutely no preference as to brand, frame
>> material, color, whatever. I ended up buying a Klein Q-carbon Team
>> because it fit me and my budget the best of anything I test rode --
>> AND the gorgeous paint job didn't hurt, either.
>>
>> Then a month or two ago, I decided to by a Madone SL frameset
>> because it was drastically discounted (nearly 50%). If I had a
>> principled objection to "TLKF" as you call 'em, then I'd've passed
>> no matter how good a deal -- OR I'd have had to make a decision
>> balancing my "ethics" versus my "bike lust" (?). Similarly, you
>> don't HAVE to work for G.E. -- although granted you'd probably have
>> to accept less money and benefits to work for some /rebel/ little
>> outfit. So you make a choice based on what's best for you...just
>> like Mike does selling bikes (although in his case he has no
>> conflict because he truly believes in his products).

> Point taken regarding Mike's point of view.
>
> However, comparing the choice of buying a certain product with the
> choice of employer is quite a stretch. It's very hard for an IT
> person over the age of 40 to change employers so my choices would be
> drastically different while your choices of bicycles aren't all that
> different.
>

>> That's what I meant by rationalization.
>>

> Rationalization smashinalization.

Well there's always that.

Bill "when megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy behemoths collide" S.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:44:17 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Jeff Starr wrote:

>>> I think looking at the photo, you could tell that it wasn't an issue.
>>> It is strictly cosmetic. From the photo, it could be a spec of dirt or
>>> a pinhole. Either way, not a structural concern.
>>>

>>> Life is Good!
>>> Jeff

>> http://www.userealsugar.com/lemond_weld/weld.jpg
>>
>> A spot of dirt would rub off and I wouldn't have posted about that. It's
>> a small hole in the joint.

> Looking at that, I see no serious defect. This type of weld
> irregularity is common in fact, and would only be a cause for concern
> in extreme-stress pressure vessel and aerospace applications, not in a
> bike frame. It's probably just the result of a **** bubble. The fact
> that there's a visual pinhole at the surface does not prove much; the
> hole would have to be just the top of a much larger defect before it
> would be any cause for concern, and had it been such, the failure you
> fear would already have taken place if there was going to be a failure
> at all. With five years in service, I'd say that the frame's
> reliability has been established. I'd dot some touch-up paint over it
> and ride. It's not going to cause a failure IMO.

Except it doesn't have 5 years in service. Between a car wreck, living
situation and other issues the bike has less than 500 miles.

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:55:02 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Except it doesn't have 5 years in service. Between a car wreck, living
>situation and other issues the bike has less than 500 miles.

I still wouldn't worry about it. Small voids occur in welds all the
time; most of them simply don't intersect the surface. They aren't as
common in inert-gas welds, but they are often still present even
there. It's far less likely to be a durability or failure issue than
the effects of heating of the tubing that are caused by the welding
process itself.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> So you make a choice based on what's best for you...just like Mike does
> selling bikes (although in his case he has no conflict because he truly
> believes in his products).

Yeah, I'm stupid that way! :>).

(Kinda sorta stolen from a Calvin & Hobbes strip)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> G.T. wrote:
>> Sorni wrote:

>>> Well, NBC /is/ biased, I'll give you that!

>> Yes, I am ashamed of working for such a right wing media corporation.
>> I'll give you that.

> Good stuff.

>>> Um, OK.
>>>
>>> Bill "sure sounds like rationalization (in this context)" S.

>> So show me where I've promoted a GE refrigerator or an NBC tv show.

> Well first of all, "rationalization" doesn't necessarily mean dishonesty
> or even hypocrisy. (IOW, I didn't say or imply that you DID promote
> anything -- other than Leno some time or other maybe?) However, if you're
> bad-mouthing Mike for promoting the bikes he sells while at the same time
> sucking off the teat of your "megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy
> behemoth of an employer", then perhaps a principled argument isn't your
> best tact. (Again, /in this context/.) Besides, I'll bet if you owned an
> NBC affiliate you'd promote the hell out of "your" programming.
>
> A few years ago, I was in the market for my first road bike since high
> school. Had absolutely no preference as to brand, frame material, color,
> whatever. I ended up buying a Klein Q-carbon Team because it fit me and
> my budget the best of anything I test rode -- AND the gorgeous paint job
> didn't hurt, either.
>
> Then a month or two ago, I decided to by a Madone SL frameset because it
> was drastically discounted (nearly 50%). If I had a principled objection
> to "TLKF" as you call 'em, then I'd've passed no matter how good a deal --
> OR I'd have had to make a decision balancing my "ethics" versus my "bike
> lust" (?). Similarly, you don't HAVE to work for G.E. -- although granted
> you'd probably have to accept less money and benefits to work for some
> /rebel/ little outfit. So you make a choice based on what's best for
> you...just like Mike does selling bikes (although in his case he has no
> conflict because he truly believes in his products).
>
> That's what I meant by rationalization.
>
> Bill
>

>> But I don't. I'm so far down the chain of command that I'm grateful
>> that I don't have to cheerlead for a product I don't believe in.
>> When I get closer to that point when I need to start cheerleading
>> maybe I'll be in a better position to change jobs.

> You once begged me to watch Blossom (don't deny it!); what about THAT, Mr.
> T?!? (Do I /need/ a smiley thing here?!?)

That can't be true. Please. Tell me it's not true! I need to maintain some
sense of GT's right to exist as a human being, but that's crossing over the
line.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> G.T. wrote:
>> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Well first of all, "rationalization" doesn't necessarily mean
>>> dishonesty or even hypocrisy. (IOW, I didn't say or imply that you
>>> DID promote anything -- other than Leno some time or other maybe?)
>>> However, if you're bad-mouthing Mike for promoting the bikes he
>>> sells while at the same time sucking off the teat of your
>>> "megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy behemoth of an employer",
>>> then perhaps a principled argument isn't your best tact. (Again,
>>> /in this context/.) Besides, I'll bet if you owned an NBC affiliate
>>> you'd promote the hell out of "your" programming.

>> But I don't. I'm so far down the chain of command that I'm grateful
>> that I don't have to cheerlead for a product I don't believe in.
>> When I get closer to that point when I need to start cheerleading
>> maybe I'll be in a better position to change jobs.

> You once begged me to watch Blossom (don't deny it!); what about THAT, Mr.
> T?!? (Do I /need/ a smiley thing here?!?)
>
>>> A few years ago, I was in the market for my first road bike since
>>> high school. Had absolutely no preference as to brand, frame
>>> material, color, whatever. I ended up buying a Klein Q-carbon Team
>>> because it fit me and my budget the best of anything I test rode --
>>> AND the gorgeous paint job didn't hurt, either.
>>>
>>> Then a month or two ago, I decided to by a Madone SL frameset
>>> because it was drastically discounted (nearly 50%). If I had a
>>> principled objection to "TLKF" as you call 'em, then I'd've passed
>>> no matter how good a deal -- OR I'd have had to make a decision
>>> balancing my "ethics" versus my "bike lust" (?). Similarly, you
>>> don't HAVE to work for G.E. -- although granted you'd probably have
>>> to accept less money and benefits to work for some /rebel/ little
>>> outfit. So you make a choice based on what's best for you...just
>>> like Mike does selling bikes (although in his case he has no
>>> conflict because he truly believes in his products).

>> Point taken regarding Mike's point of view.
>>
>> However, comparing the choice of buying a certain product with the
>> choice of employer is quite a stretch. It's very hard for an IT
>> person over the age of 40 to change employers so my choices would be
>> drastically different while your choices of bicycles aren't all that
>> different.
>>

>>> That's what I meant by rationalization.
>>>

>> Rationalization smashinalization.

> Well there's always that.
>
> Bill "when megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy behemoths collide" S.
>

> I guess the public gets what they want: over-hyped, over-marketed,
> flashy, trendy BS.

I've sometimes disagreed with your writings but I think you're being kinda
hard on yourself! :>)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > I guess the public gets what they want: over-hyped, over-marketed,
> > flashy, trendy BS.

> I've sometimes disagreed with your writings but I think you're being kinda
> hard on yourself! :>)

How clever! Shall we move on to the benefits of low spoke count, paired
spoke wheels now?

And remind me again: what does Lance ride?

> >> But I don't. I'm so far down the chain of command that I'm grateful
> >> that I don't have to cheerlead for a product I don't believe in.
> >> When I get closer to that point when I need to start cheerleading
> >> maybe I'll be in a better position to change jobs.

> > You once begged me to watch Blossom (don't deny it!); what about THAT,

Mr.
> > T?!? (Do I /need/ a smiley thing here?!?)

> That can't be true. Please. Tell me it's not true! I need to maintain some
> sense of GT's right to exist as a human being, but that's crossing over

the
> line.

Close, but it was Saved by the Bell.

Greg

On 3 Apr 2006 17:35:42 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> > I guess the public gets what they want: over-hyped, over-marketed,
>> > flashy, trendy BS.

>> I've sometimes disagreed with your writings but I think you're being kinda
>> hard on yourself! :>)
>>

>How clever! Shall we move on to the benefits of low spoke count, paired
>spoke wheels now?
>
>And remind me again: what does Lance ride?

Is that the best you can do?

Trek makes a variety of bikes for a variety of uses, but in your
simple world the fact that they are heavily marketed and some of them
are raced means they are bad. Poor logic for a simple mind.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2006 17:35:42 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I've sometimes disagreed with your writings but I think you're being kinda
> >> hard on yourself! :>)
> >>

> >How clever! Shall we move on to the benefits of low spoke count, paired
> >spoke wheels now?
> >
> >And remind me again: what does Lance ride?

> Is that the best you can do?
>
> Trek makes a variety of bikes for a variety of uses, but in your
> simple world the fact that they are heavily marketed and some of them
> are raced means they are bad. Poor logic for a simple mind.

Did you check the value of Montgomery Ward stock lately, puffball? It's
worth more than your "thoughts". And much more than your opinion. ;-)

>> > You once begged me to watch Blossom (don't deny it!); what about THAT,
> Mr.
>> > T?!? (Do I /need/ a smiley thing here?!?)

>> That can't be true. Please. Tell me it's not true! I need to maintain
>> some
>> sense of GT's right to exist as a human being, but that's crossing over

> the
>> line.
>>

> Close, but it was Saved by the Bell.
>
> Greg

I like that. Not the show, but the concept. As in, you were saved by the
bell on this one.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > You once begged me to watch Blossom (don't deny it!); what about THAT,

> Mr.
>> > T?!? (Do I /need/ a smiley thing here?!?)

>> That can't be true. Please. Tell me it's not true! I need to maintain
>> some
>> sense of GT's right to exist as a human being, but that's crossing over

> the
>> line.
>>

> Close, but it was Saved by the Bell.
>
> Greg
>

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> > I guess the public gets what they want: over-hyped, over-marketed,
>> > flashy, trendy BS.

>> I've sometimes disagreed with your writings but I think you're being
>> kinda
>> hard on yourself! :>)
>>

> How clever! Shall we move on to the benefits of low spoke count, paired
> spoke wheels now?
>
> And remind me again: what does Lance ride?

I may be the guy who's sold his soul, but I think you're taking things *way*
too seriously. It was a joke. It was only a joke. Had this been an actual
post with intelligent content, it would have been apparent. But it was only
a joke. :>)

Sorni wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
> > Sorni wrote:

> >> Well, NBC /is/ biased, I'll give you that!

> > Yes, I am ashamed of working for such a right wing media corporation.
> > I'll give you that.

> Good stuff.

> >> Um, OK.
> >>
> >> Bill "sure sounds like rationalization (in this context)" S.

> > So show me where I've promoted a GE refrigerator or an NBC tv show.

> Well first of all, "rationalization" doesn't necessarily mean dishonesty or
> even hypocrisy. (IOW, I didn't say or imply that you DID promote
> anything -- other than Leno some time or other maybe?) However, if you're
> bad-mouthing Mike for promoting the bikes he sells while at the same time
> sucking off the teat of your "megalithic soulless purchase-and-destroy
> behemoth of an employer", then perhaps a principled argument isn't your best
> tact. (Again, /in this context/.) Besides, I'll bet if you owned an NBC
> affiliate you'd promote the hell out of "your" programming.
>
> A few years ago, I was in the market for my first road bike since high
> school. Had absolutely no preference as to brand, frame material, color,
> whatever. I ended up buying a Klein Q-carbon Team because it fit me and my
> budget the best of anything I test rode -- AND the gorgeous paint job didn't
> hurt, either.
>
> Then a month or two ago, I decided to by a Madone SL frameset because it was
> drastically discounted (nearly 50%). If I had a principled objection to
> "TLKF" as you call 'em, then I'd've passed no matter how good a deal -- OR
> I'd have had to make a decision balancing my "ethics" versus my "bike lust"
> (?). Similarly, you don't HAVE to work for G.E. -- although granted you'd
> probably have to accept less money and benefits to work for some /rebel/
> little outfit. So you make a choice based on what's best for you...just
> like Mike does selling bikes (although in his case he has no conflict
> because he truly believes in his products).
>
> That's what I meant by rationalization.

What amazes me about this whole "soul-less mega corporation" schtick is
that the bicycle market today is far more vibrant than it was, say, 35
years ago -- back when you could get a few brands of very soulful
water-pipe-frame bikes with Simplex or Huret components that barely
worked. I'm not sold on some of the current fashions like compact
frames and low spoke-count wheels, but it is really amazing to walk in
to the soul-less Trek dealer and see multiple brands of 'cross bikes,
racing bikes, touring bikes, fixed gear commuters, the Portland,
downhill bikes, uphill bikes, uphill-and-downhill bikes, etc. etc.
Most with lifetime warranties. Beats the **** out of walking into the
bike shop 40 years ago and seeing ten yellow Schwinn Varsities -- or
going to the high end shop down the street and seeing a PX10 and a
Raleigh Pro, both of which I eventually own(ed) and can attest were not
particularly soulful -- unless really heavy is soulful. -- Jay Beattie.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> >> I've sometimes disagreed with your writings but I think you're being
> >> kinda
> >> hard on yourself! :>)
> >>

> > How clever! Shall we move on to the benefits of low spoke count, paired
> > spoke wheels now?
> >
> > And remind me again: what does Lance ride?

> I may be the guy who's sold his soul,

So stipulated. ;-)

> but I think you're taking things *way*
> too seriously.

Also so stipulated.

> It was a joke. It was only a joke. Had this been an actual
> post with intelligent content, it would have been apparent. But it was only
> a joke. :>)

My apologies, Mike. FWIW, I did have "post-posting regrets". Mea culpa..

On 3 Apr 2006 18:23:59 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you check the value of Montgomery Ward stock lately, puffball? It's
>worth more than your "thoughts". And much more than your opinion. ;-)

You never answered the question about why you hate bike racers so
much. You're bitter about something. I can speculate about what it
is, but you could just end the discussion by admitting what your
problem is.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com