Baffled by weight of Pinarello Prince / Weight of other bikes

jimmer23

Jul 20, 2005
Ok, call me crazy, but with all the talk during the TDF about minimum UCI weight requirements and additional weights being stuck on some bikes, etc etc - I finally decided to weigh my own and was kinda shocked at what I found. Here's the rundown:

2003 Pinarello Prince 58 cm
Pinarello Carbon Fiber seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle
2004 Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset
Deda Synapsi handlebar/stem combo
Full Dura Ace 7700 9-speed group
Dura Ace 7700 Ti cassette 11-23
Wippermann stainless chain
Dura Ace 7800 pedals
Continental Attack/Force tires (200g each)
Michelin Ultralight tubes
2 Elite Pateo carbon cages
Shimano FlightDeck

that's it

And I get 18lbs as the total bike weight??

I know I know, it's still light, but I was honestly expecting to see at the very most 17lbs with all the talk of 15. Not that I really care too much, I love my bike and would ride it just as well if it were 2lbs either way, but I am a little confused - where is the weight coming from? The frame's only supposed to be 1,400 grams, and everything else I thought was superlight. I'm not a psycho weight maniac who would start drilling holes in everything now (although the Dremmel tool is sitting over there...;) ), but if anyone else could share the weight of their ride or shed some light on my pig of a bike's weight problem that would be great.

Cheers
Jim

that's still pretty light. 18lbs is ~8.17kg!!! WOW!

You've usually gotta have a full-carbon bike to get under 8kg.

How did you weigh your bike? The old "standing on the scales and subtracting body weight" routine isn't that accurate.:p

The last time I had my bike in bits I borrowed some very expensive lab scales, and weighed every component (I have no life :eek: ), and this proved to be much more accurate.

I'd guess that just about all your components would be on Weight Weenies, so add 'em up :)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

I'd be surprised if Petacchi's Pinarello was that much lighter than yours
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/features/sanremo/MSR04_07

My Pinarello Marvel 52 cm weighs 7,7 kg with Record Carbon, Eurus wheels, Deda Newton, Elite pateo standard, SI SLR, Vittoria Diante Pro and Look Keo pedals.
Are you sure you weighed it the right way? Weigh yourself first and then you with the bike. Deda Synapsi is of course a bit heavier than an normal setup, but you should be under 8 kg.

Glenn

jimmer23 said:
Ok, call me crazy, but with all the talk during the TDF about minimum UCI weight requirements and additional weights being stuck on some bikes, etc etc - I finally decided to weigh my own and was kinda shocked at what I found. Here's the rundown:

2003 Pinarello Prince 58 cm
Pinarello Carbon Fiber seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle
2004 Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset
Deda Synapsi handlebar/stem combo
Full Dura Ace 7700 9-speed group
Dura Ace 7700 Ti cassette 11-23
Wippermann stainless chain
Dura Ace 7800 pedals
Continental Attack/Force tires (200g each)
Michelin Ultralight tubes
2 Elite Pateo carbon cages
Shimano FlightDeck

that's it

And I get 18lbs as the total bike weight??

I know I know, it's still light, but I was honestly expecting to see at the very most 17lbs with all the talk of 15. Not that I really care too much, I love my bike and would ride it just as well if it were 2lbs either way, but I am a little confused - where is the weight coming from? The frame's only supposed to be 1,400 grams, and everything else I thought was superlight. I'm not a psycho weight maniac who would start drilling holes in everything now (although the Dremmel tool is sitting over there...;) ), but if anyone else could share the weight of their ride or shed some light on my pig of a bike's weight problem that would be great.

Cheers
Jim

531Aussie said:
You've usually gotta have a full-carbon bike to get under 8kg.

The last time I had my bike in bits I borrowed some very expensive lab scales, and weighed every component (I have no life :eek: ), and this proved to be much more accurate.
rubbish and nonsense.

boudreaux said:
rubbish and nonsense.
Not really. Typical digital scales like the one I linked to have a resolution of +/- 1g. Lab scales have resolutions down to +/- 0.00001g. Even if you break your bike into a hundred pieces and use a less precise scale for the heavier parts, it still only propagates up to about +/- 0.01g. Assuming you don't miss any parts, this is more accurate.

artmichalek said:
Not really. Typical digital scales like the one I linked to have a resolution of +/- 1g. Lab scales have resolutions down to +/- 0.00001g. Even if you break your bike into a hundred pieces and use a less precise scale for the heavier parts, it still only propagates up to about +/- 0.01g. Assuming you don't miss any parts, this is more accurate.
Well D'oh?? +/- 1 gram for the whole friggin bike, and the poster was wondering about pounds difference. if you need 0.00001 gram to blather about bike weight, knock yourslf out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
Well D'oh?? +/- 1 gram for the whole friggin bike, and the poster was wondering about pounds difference. if you need 0.00001 gram to blather about bike weight, knock yourslf out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Personally I could care less about +/- 100g of overall bike weight. But you claimed with your characteristic eloquence that Aussie's method was invalid when this clearly isn't the case.

artmichalek said:
Personally I could care less about +/- 100g of overall bike weight. But you claimed with your characteristic eloquence that Aussie's method was invalid when this clearly isn't the case.
Again, it's a matter of degree. Some people obviously have better things to do than tear a bike apart and weigh every part in order to balther about 18.1 pounds vs 18.0001 or whatever. :rolleyes: The sun willl still come up in the east regardless.

Well the part about needing a full carbon bike to be under 8KG is rubbish and nonsense. You can make Ti, Al, or carbon on the bleeding edge of superlightweight...many of the superlight frames are not of CF. Why does everyone think CF is intrinsically lighter than all other materials :confused:

Oh and FWIW the accuracy of your measurement system does matter, I don't want to get into how accurate it needs to be, but if your 18lbs is from your bathroom scale it wouldn't be hard to be a lb or two off.

wilmar13 said:
Oh and FWIW the accuracy of your measurement system does matter, I don't want to get into how accurate it needs to be, but if your 18lbs is from your bathroom scale it wouldn't be hard to be a lb or two off.

Weighing components individually gives cumulative error - no matter what kind of scale you're using. True, it could be that the cumulative error of 6 dozen components measured on a good scale is less than a single error of weighing on a bathroom scale. Makes it kind of a fun exersize if you like doing that kind of stuff, but it's more accurate to weigh the whole bike as a unit.

wilmar13 said:
Well the part about needing a full carbon bike to be under 8KG is rubbish and nonsense. You can make Ti, Al, or carbon on the bleeding edge of superlightweight...many of the superlight frames are not of CF. Why does everyone think CF is intrinsically lighter than all other materials :confused:
Don't rule out good old low tech steel is real for an 8 kg ride.

boudreaux said:
Don't rule out good old low tech steel is real for an 8 kg ride.
Very true, but even the lightest steel will have .5lb or so more on the lightest Al/Ti/CF. Of course this is only the difference of going without a sixpack on a Thursday night so who cares.

Well, thanks for all the replies. And yes, I used the good old stand on the scale then subtract my body weight methodology. It's a high quality digital scale so I don't know if that would account for 1-2lbs difference. The post about the 16lb Marvel, which is supposed to weigh more, has me even more perplexed. Thanks for the data, and I'll keep wondering for now... :confused:

wilmar13 said:
Of course this is only the difference of going without a sixpack on a Thursday night so who cares.
It must have profound meaning for the types who tear bikes down and weigh each part to .0001+/- gram with a certified lab scale....LOL... :rolleyes:

what baffles me is the amount of BS that still goes around about people's bike weights :)

My "best" aluminium bike is a 1540g 58cm Dedacciai 7003 frame, Columbus Muscle fork (full-carbon -- approx 380g) with a mix of 9 and 10 speed Dura-Ace (10sp cranks and rear derailleur). The non-moving bits (saddle, post, stem and bars) are pretty "normal" aluminium parts (not super-light), and the rear wheel is a little on the chunky side.

But, despite have full Dura-Ace and a reasonably light frame and fork, this bike barely gets under 9kg.

I dunno how guys are getting their Dura-Ace bikes with 1400g alu frames down to 7.5kg!!!!????
There must be a lot of BS and/or hooey out their. :p

jimmer23 said:
Well, thanks for all the replies. And yes, I used the good old stand on the scale then subtract my body weight methodology. It's a high quality digital scale so I don't know if that would account for 1-2lbs difference. The post about the 16lb Marvel, which is supposed to weigh more, has me even more perplexed. Thanks for the data, and I'll keep wondering for now... :confused:

I'm an oldtimer still on steel but have been tempted by a Giant TCR (is that the lightest one?) but checking all-carbon bikes with top specs. at a recent local race made me wonder how accurate these claims for 17lb. bikes are. They didn't feel that light and how durable are they - one season's hard racing? In this event a carbon fork fractured without damage to the rider fortunately.

Roger UK said:
In this event a carbon fork fractured without damage to the rider fortunately.
wow

I hate these stories

was it during a crash?

Did you notice what type of fork it was?