Baffled by weight of Pinarello Prince / Weight of other bikes

jimmer23 said:
Ok, call me crazy, but with all the talk during the TDF about minimum UCI weight requirements and additional weights being stuck on some bikes, etc etc - I finally decided to weigh my own and was kinda shocked at what I found. Here's the rundown:

Cheers
Jim
Pinarello's are not super flyweights. I have an Opera (steel) frame (57 cm) which weighs 3.7 lbs, plus the fork weighs in at 415 grams (throw in a compression cap, for another 40 grams). With full Campy Record, Selle San Marco Aspide Saddle, Ritchey WCS bar and stem, and Speedplay pedals it comes in at 18.5 lbs. I have seen some very light aluminum frames, but most high end frames seem to range from 2-4 lbs. To get below 17 lbs you really need to start with a sub 2.5 frame and superlight wheels.

PeterF said:
Pinarello's are not super flyweights. I have an Opera (steel) frame (57 cm) which weighs 3.7 lbs, plus the fork weighs in at 415 grams (throw in a compression cap, for another 40 grams). With full Campy Record, Selle San Marco Aspide Saddle, Ritchey WCS bar and stem, and Speedplay pedals it comes in at 18.5 lbs. I have seen some very light aluminum frames, but most high end frames seem to range from 2-4 lbs. To get below 17 lbs you really need to start with a sub 2.5 frame and superlight wheels.
I'm also skeptical of all the claims of 15 and 16 lb bikes. It does seem funny to me that Trek and C'dale, as well as the other big guys don't even list weight on their spec sheets. Maybe the corporate policy is to let the salesmen make up whatever figures they think the customers will believe?

Just as a reference point, I've got a 58 cm Zonal AL frame, with CF rear stays. It was built here by SANO. I weighed the frame as well as the finished bike on a digital hanging scale at the builders. Weight of the bare frame was 2 lbs, 12 oz (1250 grams) before paint. Built up with Ouzo Pro fork, DA 9 speed, FSA "Carbon" Triple Crank, Thomson, SSM Aspide, Ritchey WCS stem/bars, Velomax Circuit wheels and Speedplay pedals, the finished bike came in at 17 lbs, 14 oz (8.1 kg). Weight really wasn't a big concern for me, but it was a pleasant surprise to see under 18 lbs.

Good news all - thanks to your tips I finally have a 17lb bike. To get the weight down I acquired the following:
Zero G Ti brake calipers (and yes, they came with KoolStop pads)
Nokon cable kit (brakes and derailleurs)
Wipperman Ti chain
Fibre-Lyte rear derailleur cage
Campy Record Carbon/Ti front derailleur (not that much lighter than DA, but I like the carbon...)

Overall I'm very happy with how it all turned out. Although the Nokon cables are a royal PITA to install, I'm happy with the looks of the STI cables routed under the handlebar tape. The new Zero G's... well, what can you say - they're AWESOME! And the chain is a chain, but it saved weight regardless. With a new lighter crank and various Ti/Al fasteners, I'll get down into the 16lb range for sure. Pictures to follow...

Thanks again everyone
Jim

dhk said:
I'm also skeptical of all the claims of 15 and 16 lb bikes.
When I went to lay claim to my new bike, I had the shop weigh it for me. 16 pounds on the nose.

Fish scales are pretty handy for accurate weights, but you have to convert from pounds-ounce units. They typically have a range of 0-20 lbs in 1 oz increments. Much more accurate than bathroom scale and you can weigh component groups or the entire bike easily.

If anyone has doubts about your bike, just take a video and standardize on a pre-test calibration with a large full water-bottle or something that everyone has.