bag o' axles

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gemma_k, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    I've been given some NOS stuff. Can anyone with a shimano parts book telk
    me what shimano part number #32K9804 is? (they're 141mm axles for QR, not
    sure road or MTB)

    Gemma

    Tags:

  2. gemma-<< Can anyone with a shimano parts book telk
    me what shimano part number #32K9804 is? (they're 141mm axles for QR, not
    sure road or MTB) >><BR><BR>

    If 141mm, then rear road axles in 10by1 thread pitch. 146mm are MTB rear axles.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Gemma_k wrote:
    > I've been given some NOS stuff. Can anyone with a shimano parts book telk
    > me what shimano part number #32K9804 is? (they're 141mm axles for QR, not
    > sure road or MTB)

    QR axles are generally 11 mm longer than the designed over-locknut
    distance, so these would be primarily intended for so-called "road" hubs
    with 130 m spacing.

    The 11 mm dimension is the practical _maximum_ and you can actually
    manage perfectly well with considerably less protrusion. Thus, these
    axles would also work entirely satisfactorily with 135 mm "mountain"
    spacing, and you'd even save a bit of weight!

    Indeed, I used to ride a singlespeed mtb with the axle cut off flush
    with the locknuts, no protrusion at all. Never gave me a lick of
    trouble. (I did this to gain a modicum of chain tension adjustability
    on a frame with vertical dropouts.)

    Since Shimano Freehub axles are as near immortal as bicycle parts get,
    there isn't a lot of demand for these as a repair part.

    By the way, in the case of parts other than tires and rims, the terms
    "road" and "mountain" are marketing terms, not by any means descriptive
    of actual usability or suitability.

    Sheldon "Axles" Brown
    | To invent, you need a good imagination |
    | and a pile of junk. --Thomas Edison |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    > Gemma_k wrote:
    >
    > Since Shimano Freehub axles are as near immortal as bicycle parts get,
    > there isn't a lot of demand for these as a repair part.

    I should have said - thes are axle 'kits' - also contains cones, washers,
    seals and locknuts (non immortal parts :). The cones wouldn't be a
    universal fit between years and models? There isn't a part number stamped
    on the non-drive side cone, which is why I can't work out what they're
    suitable for.

    Gemma