Bag to carry bike - also compacts into a pannier

crazylegs76

Jul 21, 2011
Hi

I have a problem with a bike bag for my tour of Switzerland.

I'm taking the train from London to Paris and then Geneva. Cycling from Geneva to Mulhouse, France and then taking the train back to London via Paris. I'm having trouble finding a bag to carry the bike on the trains that also compacts small enough for a pannier. The train companies also tell me because the tickets have already been bought it's not possible to book the bik eon the train in the cargo carriage, although you can turn up on the day and hope that there's room. Also, the train from Mulhouse will only take the bike in a bag.

The Cinelli bike bag looks perfect but seems to be out of stock everywhere.

If anyone has any ideas that would be fab. I'm running out of time.

Thanks

Ryan

Originally Posted by crazylegs76 .

I have a problem with a bike bag for my tour of Switzerland.

The Cinelli bike bag looks perfect but seems to be out of stock everywhere.

If anyone has any ideas that would be fab. I'm running out of time.
FWIW. I'm not sure what the Cinelli bike bag looks like ... and so, I don't the material that it is made of ...

But, based on the two bike bags which I have, I have to say that I would find it tedious-if-not-difficult to fold-and-compress either of them enough to fit into a pannier ...

• the bags which I have are made of Cordura (a fairly robust, coated fabric which is often used for backpacks, now)

BUT, if I were in your situation & because I would consider the pannier space to be too precious, the easiest of the three (!?!) ideas that came to mind would be to:

• simply FOLD the bag in half, first
  • then fold it again (possibly, cross-wise relative to the first fold, but maybe not) until it is about 18+ inches wide (or, you could just roll the bag up & press it flat ... whichever is easier)
  • and then DRAPE the bike bag over the rear rack & panniers
  • I would use a couple of relatively short BUNGEE CORDS to secure the bag directly to the top of the rack
  • I am NOT sure how I would secure the ends of the bag on your rack, but on the old Blackburn racks that I have I would either lash some cord over the TOP (X-pattern .. think 'nautical') while lashing the cord around the flared "tips" at the bottom OR (again) use Bungee cords whose ends would be secured on fore mentioned tips

I would bring extra Bungee cords and/or cord, BTW.

• if you wanted to, you could also "lash" the ends of the bag (think 'sausage') before securing it to rack

I would probably consider using at least one separate wheel bag for when you are on the train, too ... and, keep the wheel bag with you (if allowed) ...

forget that idea, you could send the bag to yourself as a prepaid parcel on the train cargo, and then pick it up in Mulhouse, in the abscence of a bag, you can adapt cardboard and tape to make an acceptable package for the train authorities to accept it,

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/interbike-2012-new-fenders-bags-and-pumps-from-sks-for-2013/238972 i just saw this one, might be from light material but it could work i guess

Thanks for all your great ideas folks. I've just got back from my trip, was pretty overwhelming.

What I did in the end was take the Bike Lounge bag with me:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/42093/Ultimate-Hardware-Bike-Lounge-Bag.html?referrer=froogle1%3futm_source%3dgoogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid42093

It wasn't my first choice but did the trick. I took the panel out from the bottom to make it lighter, rolled the bag tight and held together with 2 bungie chords. I then attached to the top of the pannier rack with 2 larger bungie chords, 1 went missing on the trip. I didn't have any problems though and didn't notice it was there when riding. I was concerned a bungie chord hook would slip out and maybe get caught in the wheel with the potential of causing a horrific accident so I always made sure these were tucked away.

Cheers again

You can use the Arkel's bike bag which is made by lightweight nylon and specially designed to carry your bike in public transport and the train (particularly in Europe). You nan handily carry your bicycle with integrated shoulder strap either you're in train, bus or any other public transport. You can fold it in small packs to carry inside your panniers or strapped on your bike rack.