Bag

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

  2. John B

    John B Guest

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

  4. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes

    >From the number of road signs around here that have been flattened, I'm not so sure I'd feel safe.
    >Kinda makes one a target.

    A couple of years back I saw a girl cycling along who had taped a notice to her backpack with a
    rather rude message about motorists handwritten on it. Not very wise, I thought (although it's
    likely few motorists would have seen it let alone had time to read it).

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  5. >Colin Blackburn wrote:

    >> Do you think cagers'd take notice of this...
    >>
    >> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360007991
    >>
    >> Colin
    >
    >Hmmm. From the number of road signs around here that have been flattened, I'm not so sure I'd feel
    >safe. Kinda makes one a target.
    >
    >John B

    I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back. After
    over one thousand miles of use I can report that it works, honest.

    Without it, well, we all know only too well what happens - they nearly take your right knee-cap off
    when they pass. When I *am* wearing it, drivers overtaking me realise that I can't hear them and
    mostly leave me loads'v and loads'v room, even to the point of shifting completely to the other side
    of the road, not just straddling the crown. (When it's obvious they've done this, I always give 'em
    a wave for their rear-view mirrors - doesn't cost anything.)

    I'm fairly satisfied that it is indeed the "DEAF" which has that effect. When I'm being passed by
    more than 1 vehicle, with the way cars tailgate nowadays, car #1 will give me lots'v room and
    car(s) #1+ will swing out too - but not so much, the space decreasing with each next vehicle. I
    think they ape car #1 "just in case" sort'v stuff, but no further, becos while they may indeed be
    aware that there is something causing car #1 to pull out, they can see only "just another cyclist"
    (through the previous vehicle's back and front windscreens) but cannot see the reason for the
    pull-out, the DEAF legend.

    Bus drivers and lorry drivers are *magic*, they really are; they seem to re-discover all kinds of
    road courtesy. I think that the normal position of a cyclist, bent forward, means that it is to them
    that the legend is most visible. In town traffic, at lights, etc, I get lots of consideration.

    A side benefit is that no-one bothers to use the horn ("Puir wee sowel, couldnae hear me even
    if Ah did").

    It cost about a fiver to get the letters stuck on (at about 40 degrees, the wee man said) and it's
    washable, although I rinse it through by hand.

    I did get one moan - "Oh, well then, if you're no' really deef then yer misleadin' the travellin'
    public, so-ye-are. Ah'll tell the polis, so-Ah-will" sort'v thing. I pointed out that his mobile
    outhouse had a sticker in the back window saying: "Child on Board" but that the vehicle was innocent
    of his brat. End of argument.

    You do get funny looks in the supermarket though....

    Yooors,

    Iain.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:

    >I'm fairly satisfied that it is indeed the "DEAF" which has that effect. When I'm being passed by
    >more than 1 vehicle, with the way cars tailgate nowadays, car #1 will give me lots'v room and
    >car(s) #1+ will swing out too - but not so much, the space decreasing with each next vehicle.

    This is the normal behaviour of a cager train, and one of the many reasons to keep well out from the
    kerb, because by the time the fifth one is going past and suddenly realises that the thing coming
    the other way with the lights flashing is a 40T artic, it's useful to have somewhere to go. Braking
    not being an option for cagers, obviously.

    Guy
    ===

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:

    >I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.

    Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...

    Guy
    ===

  8. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > one is going past and suddenly realises that the thing coming the other way with the lights
    > flashing is a 40T artic, it's useful to have somewhere to go. Braking not being an option for
    > cagers, obviously.

    Saw one do this today but the thing coming the other way was a jam sandwich with full flashing blue
    lights, flashing headlights, the lot.

    It was a stream of traffic, and the stream moved over to the left, since oncoming light show was
    straddling the white line and obviously very keen to get somewhere. The car in front of me
    apparently saw the car in front of him pulling over towards the kerb as a good opportunity to
    overtake. Heaven forbid actually looking past the back of teh car in front to see if there's space
    to overtake, if it wavers from the line, blast round it. I'm really not sure how the police car
    avoided him.

    Anyhow, if the morons can't see a white, red, flourescent, double flashing, wailing, police car, it
    explains how come a mere cyclist is completely invisible, I suppose.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  9. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.
    >
    > Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...

    I saw a cyclists cycling up the wrong way in a narrow one way street the other day, he should have
    had T H I C K on his back.
    --
    Mark

    I'm getting something special built for me.

  10. >> [email protected] wrote:

    >>> I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.
    >>
    >> Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    >>
    >I saw a cyclists cycling up the wrong way in a narrow one way street the other day, he should have
    >had T H I C K on his back.
    When I asked the bloke who was doing the letter-ironing-on for me what he thought of my
    live-a-little-longer wheeze, he suggested I use BLIND instead....

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > >> I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.
    > >
    > > Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    > >
    > I saw a cyclists cycling up the wrong way in a narrow one way street the other day, he should have
    > had T H I C K on his back.

    On his front, shirley.

    Colin

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >> Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    > >>
    > >I saw a cyclists cycling up the wrong way in a narrow one way street
    the
    > >other day, he should have had T H I C K on his back.
    > When I asked the bloke who was doing the letter-ironing-on for me what he
    thought of my
    > live-a-little-longer wheeze, he suggested I use BLIND instead....

    ...and then sell 'em to certain cagers that display a need for them presumably ;-)

  13. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:47:05 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.
    >
    >Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...

    I've seen a chap on a motorcycle commuting into Birmingham with a full hi-viz jacket on and the word
    'POLITE' on the back. He also rides a white BMW, and has a white helmet :)
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  14. On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:17:33 +0100, Ben <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:47:05 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.
    >>
    >>Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    >
    >I've seen a chap on a motorcycle commuting into Birmingham with a full hi-viz jacket on and the
    >word 'POLITE' on the back. He also rides a white BMW, and has a white helmet :)

    And he rides along the A453 each morning (Walsall-> Perry Barr-> Newtown-> Bham)? I have seen a guy
    on such a machine with the helmet you describe, but I have never noticed the wording on his jacket.
    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  15. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:30:25 +0100, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:17:33 +0100, Ben <[email protected]> in
    ><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    >>
    >>I've seen a chap on a motorcycle commuting into Birmingham with a full hi-viz jacket on and the
    >>word 'POLITE' on the back. He also rides a white BMW, and has a white helmet :)
    >
    >And he rides along the A453 each morning (Walsall-> Perry Barr-> Newtown-> Bham)? I have seen a guy
    >on such a machine with the helmet you describe, but I have never noticed the wording on his jacket.

    Last time I saw this chap was in 2001 on the A45. Since then I've stopped working in Birmingham.
    --

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Ben wrote:
    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:47:05 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:51:01 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wear a high-vis sleeveless thingie and have D E A F in large reflective letters on the back.
    >>
    >>Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    >
    >I've seen a chap on a motorcycle commuting into Birmingham with a full hi-viz jacket on and the
    >word 'POLITE' on the back. He also rides a white BMW, and has a white helmet :)

    Someone I used to know who dressed a bit like that was asked politely by the local police to take
    the "POLITE" off the flourescent stripe on his motorbike panniers. They did make it clear that if it
    didn't come off they would ask again not-politely.

  17. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    >>> Good idea. Now I have to think of a suitable backronym...
    >>>
    >> I saw a cyclists cycling up the wrong way in a narrow one way street the other day, he should
    >> have had T H I C K on his back.
    >
    > On his front, shirley.
    >
    > Colin

    Yes. Me being T H I C K, again.
    --
    Mark

    I'm getting something special built for me.

  18. On 25 Jun 2003 19:12:10 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Alan Braggins) in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I've seen a chap on a motorcycle commuting into Birmingham with a full hi-viz jacket on and the
    >>word 'POLITE' on the back. He also rides a white BMW, and has a white helmet :)

    >Someone I used to know who dressed a bit like that was asked politely by the local police to take
    >the "POLITE" off the flourescent stripe on his motorbike panniers. They did make it clear that if
    >it didn't come off they would ask again not-politely.

    Surely having the word POLITE on a pannier's reflective strip no is more illegal that shops having a
    blue/white sign with a policeman's helmet on it, sayinh POLITE NOTICE. ??