Bags

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Doki, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Doki

    Doki Guest

    I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light, and
    I'll probably have the battery mounted below the seat as I'd
    like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any ideas for a
    small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a banana and my
    phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so racks and so on
    aren't an option.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Doki wrote:
    > I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    > and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the seat
    > as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any ideas
    > for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a banana
    > and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so racks and so
    > on aren't an option.

    Rear racks can be fitted to mountain bikes, at least to
    those with conventional frames and no suspension. A seatpost
    rack could be an option as well.

    Alternatively, there's a big choice of bags of all sizes,
    avaliable from bike shops, that can be fitted to the
    saddle/seatpost.

    ~PB

  3. Doki

    Doki Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Doki wrote:
    >> I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    >> and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the seat
    >> as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any ideas
    >> for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a banana
    >> and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so racks and
    >> so on aren't an option.
    >
    > Rear racks can be fitted to mountain bikes, at least to
    > those with conventional frames and no suspension.

    I'll only ever want to carry naff all on the mountain bike
    though. I quite fancy something nobody wants to seal for
    actually going places on. That would have full mudguards, a
    rack and a chainguard ;).

    > A seatpost rack could be an option as well. Alternatively,
    > there's a big choice of bags of all sizes, avaliable from
    > bike shops, that can be fitted to the saddle/seatpost.

    How would a seatpost mounted rack / bag work when I want a
    battery on the seatpost / saddle? There's only so much room
    on the seatpost ;).

  4. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    > and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the
    > seat as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any
    > ideas for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a
    > banana and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so
    > racks and so on
    aren't
    > an option.

    How about a small/medium camera bag attached with Velcro
    cable ties to the handlebar or stem ? Just a thought

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Doki wrote:
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >> Doki wrote:
    >>> I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    >>> and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the
    >>> seat as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any
    >>> ideas for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a
    >>> banana and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so
    >>> racks and so on aren't an option.
    >>
    >> Rear racks can be fitted to mountain bikes, at least to
    >> those with conventional frames and no suspension.
    >
    > I'll only ever want to carry naff all on the mountain bike
    > though. I quite fancy something nobody wants to seal for
    > actually going places on. That would have full mudguards,
    > a rack and a chainguard ;).
    >
    >> A seatpost rack could be an option as well.
    >> Alternatively, there's a big choice of bags of all sizes,
    >> avaliable from bike shops, that can be fitted to the
    >> saddle/seatpost.
    >
    > How would a seatpost mounted rack / bag work when I want a
    > battery on the seatpost / saddle? There's only so much
    > room on the seatpost ;).

    One doesn't like to ask how long one's seatpost is ;-)

    How about storing the battery inside the bag - with hole
    through it and plug & socket for cable?

    Or battery under top tube, or any other suitable tube, fixed
    with velcro straps?

    ~PB

  6. Doki

    Doki Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    >> and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the seat
    >> as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any ideas
    >> for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a banana
    >> and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so racks and
    >> so on aren't an option.
    >>

    > How about a small/medium camera bag attached with Velcro
    > cable ties to the handlebar or stem ? Just a thought

    Perhaps. I'm not sure if there will be much room once there
    are lights on the handlebars. I seem to remember once seeing
    a bag (years and years ago) which attached to the top and
    back tubes, but I not sure that would work now that all the
    cables run down the top tube.

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Doki
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    > and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the seat
    > as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any ideas
    > for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a banana
    > and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so racks and so
    > on aren't an option.

    I use a bar bag on my mountain bike, as you can see here:
    <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk/album/index.cgi/bestof2003-
    /22/small>

    It's extremely practical; I would recommend it to anyone.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    There are no messages. The above is just a random
    stream of bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in
    it is your own creation.

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Doki wrote:
    > I'm planning on getting some sort of rechargeable light,
    > and I'll probably have the battery mounted below the seat
    > as I'd like both bottle cages with bottles in. Any ideas
    > for a small bag that mounts on the bike to carry a banana
    > and my phone etc. in? It's a mountain bike so racks and so
    > on aren't an option.

    Quite a few lamps with rechargeables have a wee battery
    pouch that hangs from the main tube. This works fine unless
    you don't have a top tube, but since you very probably do,
    just get one of those...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  9. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Have you had a look at the Cateye ABS25? This has quite a nifty system for mounting batteries. They can be slung underneath your bottle cage in a special mounting rack, or along a tube. All the gubbins needed comes with the kit.