General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

baguettes: why such a wide variance in prep?

Started by Michael Horowitz · · Last activity · 3 posts · 330 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 May 2005
Last activity
28 May 2005
Original author
Michael Horowitz
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
330
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. GOOGLING around for making baguettes. I see Julia's recipe and quite a
    few others. Some don't require a 2d rise, some don't require kneading,
    some don't ask for a rise before kneading.
    Does each diff. technique just provide a diff. texture or something ?
    - Mike

  2. "Michael Horowitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    GOOGLING around for making baguettes. I see Julia's recipe and quite a
    few others. Some don't require a 2d rise, some don't require kneading,
    some don't ask for a rise before kneading.
    Does each diff. technique just provide a diff. texture or something ?
    - Mike

    I believe that the same recipe for the same bread will make a dissimilar
    loaf at any given time. Going one step further, I have found that a
    baguette can be made by many techniques, hence the many bread recipes, books
    and bread gurus. If you are going to bake baguettes, do the simplest
    recipe, then try a more complicated one, until you find something that suits
    you. I've been doing ciabattas of late, and the same thing goes for them,
    as well as focaccias. They all sound so simple and so alike, but they are
    not.
    Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you here.
    Dee

  3. Last night I tried Pete Aitken's recipe ["Recipe for Baguettes", RFC,
    8Sep99], which does not require kneading. A single long rise, then
    some resting steps; not even a rise after forming. Came out
    outstanding! - Mike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.