Bah, Broken Shifter

Jorg Lueke

Guest
So I get to 2000 miles for the year and crack the right shifter has a
problem. Now there;s very little resistance on the upshift and I can
only use the bottom three gears. Even the shimano tiagra that I have
costs quite a bundle to replace used let alone getting a new one.
Heck I could buy a used bike almost just for the components.

So should I just get the same shifter, it;s a Trek Pilot 1.2 with a
shimano 105 deraileur?

Jorg Lueke wrote:
> So I get to 2000 miles for the year and crack the right shifter has a
> problem. Now there;s very little resistance on the upshift and I can
> only use the bottom three gears. Even the shimano tiagra that I have
> costs quite a bundle to replace used let alone getting a new one.
> Heck I could buy a used bike almost just for the components.
>
> So should I just get the same shifter, it;s a Trek Pilot 1.2 with a
> shimano 105 deraileur?

The Shimano 105 shifter has been pretty reliable for me. I wonder how
expensive it would be to switch. Maybe you could find it second hand.

On Aug 25, 8:37 pm, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jorg Lueke wrote:
> > So I get to 2000 miles for the year and crack the right shifter has a
> > problem. Now there;s very little resistance on the upshift and I can
> > only use the bottom three gears. Even the shimano tiagra that I have
> > costs quite a bundle to replace used let alone getting a new one.
> > Heck I could buy a used bike almost just for the components.

> > So should I just get the same shifter, it;s a Trek Pilot 1.2 with a
> > shimano 105 deraileur?

> The Shimano 105 shifter has been pretty reliable for me. I wonder how
> expensive it would be to switch. Maybe you could find it second hand.

Upon inspection the cable hook unit is missing and the cable is jammed
in there now. The shifter is under warranty so I'll go that route.
I'm not sure how to get the cable out now though, I suppose I should
just cut it. Hopefully I can extricate the break cable from the unit.