Bah gum, that were chilly!

Dave Kahn wrote:

> Did a 200k permanent yesterday (Mark Beauchamp's "An Anorak's Delight").

[ Herois icy stuff deleted]

Sounds like Napoleon's Retreat From Moscow! I'm impressed! Are you doing
the Mulled Wine and Mince Pies, or does that sound too luxurious?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:38:09 +0000, wafflycat wrote:

> "Pun Krocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gone are the days of shoving the Sunday papers up yer jooks :)
>>

> Does one have jooks? Do jooks require medicating? Are jooks infectious?

When I were lad, we had jook in the singular.
Definitely a place for stuffing things in though.

John Hearns wrote:

> When I were lad, we had jook in the singular.
> Definitely a place for stuffing things in though.

Apparently so because its OED definition is:

"A roadhouse or brothel; spec. a cheap roadside establishment providing
food and drinks, and music for dancing" ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:39:21 +0000, wafflycat wrote:

> Out there at 8.30am... in the wilds of Norfolk, cycling in -5C Bah, that
> were chilly! Glad I had me thermals on!

As a Geordie lass, I thought you would still be out cycling in strappy top
and high heels. Have you gone soft?

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:39:21 +0000, wafflycat wrote:
>
>> Out there at 8.30am... in the wilds of Norfolk, cycling in -5C Bah, that
>> were chilly! Glad I had me thermals on!
>>

> As a Geordie lass, I thought you would still be out cycling in strappy top
> and high heels. Have you gone soft?

Such attire is only de rigeur for a "Lasses night oot, doon the Bigg Market"
bonny laad ;-)

And alas, living in the south has softened me up. I am a disgrace to my
county of birth!

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> I am a disgrace to my county of birth!

<Archer's SFX>

Oooh Noooh!

</Archer's SFX>

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> wafflycat wrote:
>

>> I am a disgrace to my county of birth!
>>

> <Archer's SFX>
>
> Oooh Noooh!
>
> </Archer's SFX>

Eeee bonny laad, aah divvint knaa, if effor tha'waz a porson that shud be
shot, whey itz that aktriz like!

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> Eeee bonny laad, aah divvint knaa, if effor tha'waz a porson that shud be
> shot, whey itz that aktriz like!

Oooh, Helen, I didn't know you spoke Dutch! <impressed> :)

--
Carol
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff and

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:44:53 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

> <Archer's SFX>
>
> Oooh Noooh!
>
> </Archer's SFX>

Having been far away from the normal reaches of Radio 4's mind rays for two
years now, I decided the other week to download the latest Archers Omnibus
episode [1]. I am now rather concerned for the health of my two year old
son as (although those words were never uttered in that episode) he has
started going around saying "Oh no!" It took us several days to realise
this, at which point my wife declared he was possessed by Ruth Archer (and
it is uncannily like a Geordie accent he says it in too).

Graeme

[1] And I picked a good week to start listening again, Ed Grundy running
away with his brother's wife! Who would have believed it! Makes me wonder
what else I've missed out on.

Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:44:53 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> <Archer's SFX>
>>
>> Oooh Noooh!
>>
>> </Archer's SFX>

> [1] And I picked a good week to start listening again, Ed Grundy
> running away with his brother's wife! Who would have believed it!
> Makes me wonder what else I've missed out on.

I was confused for a month about how Emma could be sure Ed was George's
father (I had heard the conception episode), until the test finally came
back (and Will was the father), and I was reassured that it was her who was
ignorant of basic biology.

--
Ambrose

&
> it was her who was ignorant of basic biology

Obviously not *that* ignorant then :)

So did this episode raise the same eyebrows as the old "shagging in the
shower" episode with Mike and whatserface (Jolene?) then?

Graeme

Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:21:29 -0000, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>
>> (I had heard the conception episode)

> &
>> it was her who was ignorant of basic biology

> Obviously not *that* ignorant then :)
>
> So did this episode raise the same eyebrows as the old "shagging in
> the shower" episode with Mike and whatserface (Jolene?) then?

I think it was subtle. Emma came over to Ed's, say, a week before the
wedding, late at night and upset, and next you heard, she was leaving in a
hurry in the morning. Perhaps there was a little smooching in between.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Graeme Dods wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:44:53 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>>
>>> <Archer's SFX>
>>>
>>> Oooh Noooh!
>>>
>>> </Archer's SFX>

>> [1] And I picked a good week to start listening again, Ed Grundy
>> running away with his brother's wife! Who would have believed it!
>> Makes me wonder what else I've missed out on.

>I was confused for a month about how Emma could be sure Ed was George's
>father (I had heard the conception episode), until the test finally came
>back (and Will was the father), and I was reassured that it was her who was
>ignorant of basic biology.

(1) She is as thick as pig ****
(2) She wants the world to be like the one in her head

Tim

in message <[email protected]>, Graeme Dods
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:44:53 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> <Archer's SFX>
>>
>> Oooh Noooh!
>>
>> </Archer's SFX>

> Having been far away from the normal reaches of Radio 4's mind rays for
> two years now, I decided the other week to download the latest Archers
> Omnibus episode [1]. I am now rather concerned for the health of my two
> year old son as (although those words were never uttered in that
> episode) he has started going around saying "Oh no!" It took us several
> days to realise this, at which point my wife declared he was possessed
> by Ruth Archer (and it is uncannily like a Geordie accent he says it in
> too).

You will rot your brain. Within months you'll watch an episode of East
Enders 'just because the telly happened to be on'; three months after
that you'll be able to recite the schedules of East Enders, Coronation
Street, and Neighbours off by heart; within twelve months you will have
been sacked from your job and be unable to take part in any organised
leisure activities because you'd miss five minutes of Holby City.

Learn the pavlovian Archers' Click /now/, before it is too late: the
archers signature tune should go 'dumbdy dumdy dumbdy click', and no
further. If it gets as far as 'dumbdy dumbdy dumbdy dumb', you're lost.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:43:43 +0800, Graeme Dods
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>my wife declared he was possessed by Ruth Archer (and
>it is uncannily like a Geordie accent he says it in too).

Could be worse - he could be channelling the sainted Julia Pargeter.
Oooh noo Deevid!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Tim Hall wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:21:29 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Graeme Dods wrote:

>>> [1] And I picked a good week to start listening again, Ed Grundy
>>> running away with his brother's wife! Who would have believed it!
>>> Makes me wonder what else I've missed out on.

>> I was confused for a month about how Emma could be sure Ed was
>> George's father (I had heard the conception episode), until the test
>> finally came back (and Will was the father), and I was reassured
>> that it was her who was ignorant of basic biology.

> (1) She is as thick as pig ****
> (2) She wants the world to be like the one in her head

Thanks, but I thought there must be some cause for the fact that no one said
the baby might be William's despite how sure she was. Or maybe I just
thought she was sure that there was only one candidate because, well, the
wedding was consumated wrongly or late or something.

Now I see that your (1) and (2) are right, and feel silly for having
insufficiently detailed maps of soap characters' emotions in my mind. This,
I may not try to rectify.

--
Ambrose

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:43:43 +0800, Graeme Dods
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>my wife declared he was possessed by Ruth Archer (and
>>it is uncannily like a Geordie accent he says it in too).

> Could be worse - he could be channelling the sainted Julia Pargeter.
> Oooh noo Deevid!
>
> Guy

There is an even worse accent than the dreaded ubergeordie... that of the
evil Linda Snell..

Cheers, helen s

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:51:39 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Could be worse - he could be channelling the sainted Julia Pargeter.
> Oooh noo Deevid!

That would be bad! He also does a pretty good line in Mutley style evil
laughs :)

Graeme

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:52:25 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:

> You will rot your brain.

Years too late for that!

> Within months you'll watch an episode of East
> Enders 'just because the telly happened to be on'; three months after
> that you'll be able to recite the schedules of East Enders, Coronation
> Street, and Neighbours off by heart; within twelve months you will have
> been sacked from your job and be unable to take part in any organised
> leisure activities because you'd miss five minutes of Holby City.

Luckily little chance of that now that I'm in Australia. That said, the
other week they started showing Coronation Street here in Perth, probably
to appeal to the ex-pats (there's a lot here). Funny thing, the papers have
been full of letters from said ex-pats saying "What are you showing this
rubbish for?" As for the locally brewed soaps, well, the less said the
better.

> Learn the pavlovian Archers' Click /now/, before it is too late: the
> archers signature tune should go 'dumbdy dumdy dumbdy click', and no
> further. If it gets as far as 'dumbdy dumbdy dumbdy dumb', you're lost.

A few years back I was fiddling around with midi files and set the
ring-tone on an old Nokia to the Archers theme. I'd totally forgotten about
it until a few weeks ago when my brother in law's phone rang. It took a few
seconds to realise why I recognised the ring tone, my wife had dug the
phone out of a box and given it to him when we migrated over here.

Unfortunately The Archers beats most Australian radio and TV hands down for
quality (yep, it's that bad over here). Luckily I can get some decent
Radio4 listening from various usenet groups. I think I'll listen to Old
Harry's Game on the way home :)

Graeme

Graeme