baked apples

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bob (this one), Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.

    Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    time about 35 minutes. 350°F.

    The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
    not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
    solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
    sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.

    Clear enough to me.

    Pastorio

    Tags:

  2. jake

    jake Guest

    Bob (this one) wrote:

    > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >
    > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >
    > The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    > minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
    > not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
    > solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
    > sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
    >
    > Clear enough to me.
    >
    > Pastorio

    I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >
    > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >
    > The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    > minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
    > not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
    > solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
    > sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
    >
    > Clear enough to me.
    >
    > Pastorio

    Have you considered Gala's? :-d
    --
    Om.

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    "Bob (this one)" wrote:

    > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >
    > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >
    > The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    > minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
    > not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
    > solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
    > sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
    >
    > Clear enough to me.

    That's why some apples are eating apples and some are cooking apples. :)
    Personally, I think that Delicious is a misnomer. I don't care for the
    taste or texture of them raw, and even less when they are cooked. Northern
    Spy are great for cooking. They are great for baking, for pies and for
    apple fritters.

  5. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Whe I was a kid, we always baked Rome apples, but I can't seem to find
    them anymore. I haven't had a good baked apple since childhood. Anyone
    have advice on good reds to bake?

  6. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    http://www.virginiaapples.org/varieties/gingergold.html
    --
    Susan N.

  7. jake wrote:
    > Bob (this one) wrote:
    >
    >> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    >> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >>
    >> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    >> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    >> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total
    >> cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >>
    >> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    >> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
    >> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably
    >> more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant.
    >> Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
    >>
    >> Clear enough to me.
    >>
    >> Pastorio

    > I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

    Dunno how it's classified. It's a new variety that I can find only at
    Costco. Asking questions like that at their stores will get blank stares
    from staff.

    Pastorio

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    >> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >>
    >> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
    >> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
    >> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
    >> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >>
    >> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    >> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
    >> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
    >> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
    >> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
    >> aftertaste at the end.
    >>
    >> Clear enough to me.
    >>
    >> Pastorio

    > Have you considered Gala's? :-d

    Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her beak up
    at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about anything else.
    Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it disappear!

    Jill

  9. In article <mGZ%[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > >> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    > >>
    > >> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
    > >> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
    > >> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
    > >> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    > >>
    > >> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    > >> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
    > >> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
    > >> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
    > >> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
    > >> aftertaste at the end.
    > >>
    > >> Clear enough to me.
    > >>
    > >> Pastorio

    > > Have you considered Gala's? :-d

    > Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her beak up
    > at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about anything else.
    > Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it disappear!
    >
    > Jill

    My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
    She is also picky about oranges.
    --
    Om.

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <mGZ%[email protected]>,
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    >>> Have you considered Gala's? :-d

    >> Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her
    >> beak up at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about
    >> anything else. Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it
    >> disappear!
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
    > She is also picky about oranges.

    I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to the type?
    She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores carrots!

    Here's Peaches:

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/105626707/462411375QlbOSH

    Jill

  11. Becca

    Becca Guest

    Bob (this one) wrote:

    > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >
    > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.

    Thanks for sharing your experiment with us. When I bake apples, I will
    core the apples, but I do not peel them, except for an inch from the top
    of the apple. I bake them in a dish with about 1/2 cup of apple juice
    or water.

    My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
    up well.

    Becca

  12. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Bob (this one) wrote:

    > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >
    > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >
    > The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    > minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
    > not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
    > solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
    > sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
    >
    > Clear enough to me.
    >
    > Pastorio

    Delicious is not a cooking apple. You need to use cooking apples :)

  13. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Becca wrote:

    > My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
    > up well.

    All male apples... ;)

    Sheldon

  14. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:18:05 +0200, jake wrote:

    > I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

    I'm not surprised, I'm not familiar with it either. Different parts
    of the country have different types of apples that are gown in the
    region.

  15. sf

    sf Guest

    On 2 Oct 2005 15:47:30 -0700, Jude wrote:

    > Whe I was a kid, we always baked Rome apples, but I can't seem to find
    > them anymore. I haven't had a good baked apple since childhood. Anyone
    > have advice on good reds to bake?

    Are you in California? You can find them here, but I'm not impressed.

  16. In article <5A_%[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <mGZ%[email protected]>,

    > >> Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her
    > >> beak up at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about
    > >> anything else. Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it
    > >> disappear!
    > >>
    > >> Jill
    > >>

    > > My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
    > > She is also picky about oranges.

    > I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to the type?

    I've offered valencias and navels. Freya prefers Valencias (sp?).
    Her favorite treat is handfuls of those itty bitty chile pequins, or
    fresh ears of corn on the cob. Pomegranites are an occasional treat
    along with whole walnuts.

    > She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores carrots!

    I wish freya would eat more greens! I've been offering her different
    stuff and recently found out she liked Savoy cabbage.

    > Here's Peaches:
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/photo/105626707/462411375QlbOSH
    >
    > Jill

    Man! Lovebirds are so colorful! :)
    I see you offer her plenty of toys. I've started making my own toys for
    the most part to save on $$$. Freya can go thru wood toys pretty quickly
    and they can get costly after a bit! Untreated wood beads from the craft
    store dyed with food coloring work well.

    Here is Freya in her aviary:

    http://tinypic.com/e869vo.jpg

    We hated to keep her locked in a small parrot cage so used to let her
    fly free during the day, but she just got to be too destructive. :-(
    Even the largest $600.00 parrot cages were too small in our opinion, so
    dad and I built her an aviary on the sun porch and that has worked out
    well! Her "cage" is now 6' tall by 4.5' deep by 8' long. It's walk in
    with a gate so I can go in and have lovey sessions with her, and hang
    LOTS of toys! :)

    The aviary ran just under $400.00 to build.
    It's built from steel chain link pole fence components and 1" x 2"
    galvanized aviary wire. The damn roll of wire cost the most! I had to
    buy a 100 ft. roll that takes 2 strong people to move. I only used a
    little over 30' of it so am considering re-selling the rest of the roll.

    Cheers!

    --
    Om.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Becca <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Bob (this one) wrote:
    >
    > > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    > > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    > >
    > > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    > > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    > > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
    > > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.

    > Thanks for sharing your experiment with us. When I bake apples, I will
    > core the apples, but I do not peel them, except for an inch from the top
    > of the apple. I bake them in a dish with about 1/2 cup of apple juice
    > or water.
    >
    > My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
    > up well.
    >
    > Becca

    I use galas, and peel, core and quarter them and re-assemble the
    quarters into a small bowl. Add butter, raw sugar (or splenda for
    myself) and cinnamon and bake them in the microwave.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Becca wrote:
    > >
    > > My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
    > > up well.

    > All male apples... ;)
    >
    > Sheldon

    Wot's a female apple?
    --
    Om.

  19. Becca

    Becca Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > I use galas, and peel, core and quarter them and re-assemble the
    > quarters into a small bowl. Add butter, raw sugar (or splenda for
    > myself) and cinnamon and bake them in the microwave.
    >
    > Cheers!

    Gala's and Fuji's are my favorite apples, but I was afraid they would
    not hold up well if they were baked. I will try cooking Gala's in a
    microwave. I have been microwaving acorn squash, I may as well try
    apples, too.

    Becca

  20. George

    George Guest

    jake wrote:
    > Bob (this one) wrote:
    >
    >> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
    >> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
    >>
    >> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
    >> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
    >> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total
    >> cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
    >>
    >> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
    >> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
    >> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably
    >> more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant.
    >> Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
    >>
    >> Clear enough to me.
    >>
    >> Pastorio

    > I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

    It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
    started selling them last year.