baked apples

"George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jake wrote:
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
>>> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
>>> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
>>> time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not ****,
>>> not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
>>> solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
>>> sweet/****, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
> started selling them last year.

I bought ginger gold at Costco last week. They aren't heavily waxed!!! I
can't recall excactly the price -- something like 76 cents? a lb. The
reason I bought them was that they looked the freshest, no other reason.
We've been having them as a mid-afternoon snack. I wouldn't RAVE about
them, but they are good.
Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>, Becca <[email protected]>
wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I use galas, and peel, core and quarter them and re-assemble the
> > quarters into a small bowl. Add butter, raw sugar (or splenda for
> > myself) and cinnamon and bake them in the microwave.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Gala's and Fuji's are my favorite apples, but I was afraid they would
> not hold up well if they were baked. I will try cooking Gala's in a
> microwave. I have been microwaving acorn squash, I may as well try
> apples, too.
>
> Becca

Just don't overdo. :)
That's easy to do in the m-wave!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <5A_%[email protected]>,
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
>>> She is also picky about oranges.

>> I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to
>> the type?

> I've offered valencias and navels. Freya prefers Valencias (sp?).
>> She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores
>> carrots!

> I wish freya would eat more greens! I've been offering her different
> stuff and recently found out she liked Savoy cabbage.
>
>> Here's Peaches:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/105626707/462411375QlbOSH
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Man! Lovebirds are so colorful! :)

Yep, she's bright!

> I see you offer her plenty of toys. I've started making my own toys
> for
> the most part to save on $$$. Freya can go thru wood toys pretty
> quickly
> and they can get costly after a bit! Untreated wood beads from the
> craft store dyed with food coloring work well.

Cockatoos are *big* :) Peaches is about 6 inches long, head to tail. She
chews on her toys but hasn't managed to destroy any yet. But yes, I bought
some of those link things and naturally dyed beads so I can make some. The
leather "string" I bought is too big, though. Maybe I could send it to you.

> Here is Freya in her aviary:
>
> http://tinypic.com/e869vo.jpg

How pretty! Is she a Goffin? I see pink on her face. But what I know
about Cockatoos could fit in my little finger.

> We hated to keep her locked in a small parrot cage so used to let her
> fly free during the day, but she just got to be too destructive. :-(
> Even the largest $600.00 parrot cages were too small in our opinion,
> so
> dad and I built her an aviary on the sun porch and that has worked out
> well! Her "cage" is now 6' tall by 4.5' deep by 8' long. It's walk in
> with a gate so I can go in and have lovey sessions with her, and hang
> LOTS of toys! :)

How cool is that! Very nice aviary! The cage I *want* for Peaches looks
like a piece of furniture and costs about $800, which means "no way" :)
Good thing she's happy in her space. LOL

Jill

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Becca wrote:
> > >
> > > My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
> > > up well.

> > All male apples... ;)
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Wot's a female apple?

Paula Red, Ida Red, Granny Smith, like that.

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <5A_%[email protected]>,

> >> I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to
> >> the type?

> > I've offered valencias and navels. Freya prefers Valencias (sp?).
> >> She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores
> >> carrots!

> > I wish freya would eat more greens! I've been offering her different
> > stuff and recently found out she liked Savoy cabbage.
> >
> >> Here's Peaches:
> >>
> >> http://community.webshots.com/photo/105626707/462411375QlbOSH
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Man! Lovebirds are so colorful! :)

> Yep, she's bright!
>
> > I see you offer her plenty of toys. I've started making my own toys
> > for
> > the most part to save on $$$. Freya can go thru wood toys pretty
> > quickly
> > and they can get costly after a bit! Untreated wood beads from the
> > craft store dyed with food coloring work well.
> >

> Cockatoos are *big* :) Peaches is about 6 inches long, head to tail. She
> chews on her toys but hasn't managed to destroy any yet. But yes, I bought
> some of those link things and naturally dyed beads so I can make some. The
> leather "string" I bought is too big, though. Maybe I could send it to you.
>
> > Here is Freya in her aviary:
> >
> > http://tinypic.com/e869vo.jpg
> >

> How pretty! Is she a Goffin? I see pink on her face. But what I know
> about Cockatoos could fit in my little finger.

Yes, she is a Goffin's which are about 1/2 the size of the sulfer
crests. She is actually not ver big. <G>

> > We hated to keep her locked in a small parrot cage so used to let her
> > fly free during the day, but she just got to be too destructive. :-(
> > Even the largest $600.00 parrot cages were too small in our opinion,
> > so
> > dad and I built her an aviary on the sun porch and that has worked out
> > well! Her "cage" is now 6' tall by 4.5' deep by 8' long. It's walk in
> > with a gate so I can go in and have lovey sessions with her, and hang
> > LOTS of toys! :)

> How cool is that! Very nice aviary! The cage I *want* for Peaches looks
> like a piece of furniture and costs about $800, which means "no way" :)
> Good thing she's happy in her space. LOL
>
> Jill

So long as she has daily mommy-time, she should be fine. :)

Freya loves to chew on leather.
What could I trade you for it?

Cheers!

--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Shoot me an email :) My address is not munged.

> Freya loves to chew on leather.
>
> Cheers!

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > All male apples... ;)
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > Wot's a female apple?

> Paula Red, Ida Red, Granny Smith, like that.
>
> Sheldon

Oh. Sorry. ;-)
Just consider that a "whoosh" over my head the first time.

I get it now...

So, where do you classify Gala's?

<grins>
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Shoot me an email :) My address is not munged.
>
> > Freya loves to chew on leather.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Jill

Done. :)

The aviary we built, even with the more than large roll of aviary wire,
cost just under $400.00 to build. I'm hoping to re-coup some of the
money by re-selling the rest of the wire!

Cheers!
--

George wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>>> ****, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/****, still had that little bite
>>> aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
> started selling them last year.

Ok, thanks!

The Cook wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:18:05 +0200, jake <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Bob (this one) wrote:
>>

>>>Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>>they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>>Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
>>>dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
>>>warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
>>>time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>>The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>>minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not ****,
>>>not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
>>>solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
>>>sweet/****, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>>Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>>I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> http://www.virginiaapples.org/varieties/gingergold.html

that's a start, thank you!

Bob (this one) wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>>> ****, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/****, still had that little bite
>>> aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> Dunno how it's classified. It's a new variety that I can find only at
> Costco. Asking questions like that at their stores will get blank stares
> from staff.
>
> Pastorio

I can imaginethat staff doens't know its products> I presuem training
them would be too expensive.

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:18:05 +0200, jake wrote:
>

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> I'm not surprised, I'm not familiar with it either. Different parts
> of the country have different types of apples that are gown in the
> region.

I believe we are in different countries, even> So imagine what
differences there might be.

George wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>>> ****, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/****, still had that little bite
>>> aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
> started selling them last year.

I am curious, although the flavor described on the site (posted above)
sounds too sweet for my taste.

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote

> Bob (this one) wrote:

>> Dunno how it's classified. It's a new variety that I can find only at
>> Costco. Asking questions like that at their stores will get blank stares
>> from staff.

> I can imaginethat staff doens't know its products> I presuem training them
> would be too expensive.

Costco is a warehouse store, you are pretty much on your own.
Merchandise is move it in, move it out. No staff lurking around
with answers for apple questions.

nancy