baked beans?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Paula, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Paula

    Paula Guest

    a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My question
    is - do your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours
    are of various brands( but heinz being a universally known
    one) they are canned and in a tomato sauce, to be served
    with an english breakfast or on toast amongst other
    things.we can buy the beans dried for use in other recipes
    but why oh why are they always in tomato sauce when canned.?
    is it a law that everyone has to like tomato sauce, needless
    to say i seldom eat them and when i do i drain off all the
    tom sauce and mix with grated cheese and melt together and
    serve on toast.

    Tags:

  2. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My
    > question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from
    > ours(u.k.)ours are of various brands( but heinz being a
    > universally known one) they are canned and in a tomato
    > sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
    > amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in
    > other recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato
    > sauce when canned.? is it a law that everyone has to like
    > tomato sauce, needless to say i seldom eat them and when i
    > do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix with grated
    > cheese and melt together and serve on toast.

    Baked beans are prepared in some sort of tomato base.
    However, you can get a variety of plain canned beans
    (cooked, salt added but no other flavorings or spices).
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  3. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-03-12, paula <[email protected]> wrote:

    > with grated cheese and melt together and serve on
    > toast....

    Now see, that's what the main difference is. "..on toast"!
    American's don't put beans on toast. It's uncivilized. On
    tortillas, on rice, on paper plates, maybe even on a hotdog
    bun (w/ dog, as chili). Certainly, with cheese, in many
    incarnations. But, never on toast. It just isn't done. :)

    nb

  4. Hello Everyone: For the people who do at times eat can beans
    here is an easy meal for you. The size baking dish you use
    will depend on how many you are cooking for. Put a can of
    beans in the baking dish. Take a can of spam and cut in
    slices. Dip the spam in maple syrup then line the edges of
    the baking dish with the spam. Put your favorite cheese on
    top of the beans then cook in the oven until the cheese is
    the way that you like it. It is good served with slices of a
    garden fresh tomato. Have a nice sunny day. Amanda

  5. Steve Dunbar

    Steve Dunbar Guest

    paula wrote:

    >...My question is - do your baked beans in a can differ
    >from ours(u.k.)ours are of various brands( but heinz
    >being a universally known one) they are canned and in a
    >tomato sauce, ... why oh why are they always in tomato
    >sauce when canned.?

    There are some inferior brands of canned "baked" beans with
    tomato sauce sold in the U.S., but proper baked beans don't
    include tomato sauce. Can you get B&M beans in the U.K.?

    <http://www.bmbeans.com/bm_products.html>

    Steve

  6. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Boston baked beans are baked in a closed ceramic beanpot for
    a long time (5-6 hrs) at a low temperature. The beanpot
    includes vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, and onion..

    Beans on toast are not common in the USA, but we have seen
    the Osbournes eating them on their TV show.

    ----------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
    42.8"

    "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My
    > question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from
    > ours(u.k.)ours are of various brands( but heinz being a
    > universally known one) they are canned and in a tomato
    > sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
    > amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in
    > other recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato
    > sauce when canned.? is it a law that everyone has to like
    > tomato sauce, needless to say i seldom eat them and when i
    > do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix with grated
    > cheese and melt together and serve on toast.

  7. Hello Everyone: I remember my Mother often making the old
    fashioned home made baked beans in a bean pot. To the beans
    in the pot she added about four slices of salt pork, some
    dry mustard, about one onion sliced, and water that was
    completely covering the beans. They were put in the oven
    about 11:00 AM and the oven was turned off around 4:00 or
    4:30 PM. They were not soaked before cooking. If there were
    any left over after the meal they were used for making bean
    sandwiches. The beans were checked at least three or four
    times during the cooking to be sure that they were still
    covered in water. If they were not then water was added to
    cover them. If anyone has a bean recipe please feel free to
    share. Have a nice night. Amanda

  8. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Kevin & Amanda wrote:

    > Hello Everyone: I remember my Mother often making the old
    > fashioned home made baked beans in a bean pot. To the
    > beans in the pot she added about four slices of salt pork,
    > some dry mustard, about one onion sliced, and water that
    > was completely covering the beans. They were put in the
    > oven about 11:00 AM and the oven was turned off around
    > 4:00 or 4:30 PM. They were not soaked before cooking. If
    > there were any left over after the meal they were used for
    > making bean sandwiches. The beans were checked at least
    > three or four times during the cooking to be sure that
    > they were still covered in water. If they were not then
    > water was added to cover them. If anyone has a bean recipe
    > please feel free to share. Have a nice night. Amanda

    Did you forget the molasses?

    Best regards, Bob

  9. Biff

    Biff Guest

    Steve Dunbar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > paula wrote:
    >
    > >...My question is - do your baked beans in a can differ
    > >from ours(u.k.)ours are of various brands( but heinz
    > >being a universally known one) they are canned and in a
    > >tomato sauce, ... why oh why are they always in tomato
    > >sauce when canned.?
    >
    > There are some inferior brands of canned "baked" beans
    > with tomato sauce sold in the U.S., but proper baked
    > beans don't include tomato sauce. Can you get B&M beans
    > in the U.K.?
    >
    > <http://www.bmbeans.com/bm_products.html>
    >

    > --
    Hi, Here in Toronto we have baked beans with pork and
    molasses, no tomato sauce. They are very dark and very
    sweet. Biff

  10. Donna Rose wrote:

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My
    > > question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from
    > > ours(u.k.)ours are of various brands( but heinz being a
    > > universally known one) they are canned and in a tomato
    > > sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on
    > > toast amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried
    > > for use in other recipes but why oh why are they always
    > > in tomato sauce when canned.? is it a law that everyone
    > > has to like tomato sauce, needless to say i seldom eat
    > > them and when i do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix
    > > with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast.
    > >
    > Baked beans are prepared in some sort of tomato base.

    Not always. Boston-style baked beans have no tomatoes. (At
    least authentic ones don't - but the ones you find canned in
    the supermarket may have some tomato in them.) Boston-style
    baked beans should have only molasses and brown sugar and
    spices and onions and salt pork or bacon.

    > However, you can get a variety of plain canned beans
    > (cooked, salt added but no other flavorings or spices).

    Yes, in the U.S. there are many different kinds of canned
    beans. But the ones that are called "baked beans" have a tomato-
    based sauce because "baked beans" is a specific dish.
    (Although "canned" baked beans are not really baked at all -
    they are just beans that are seasoned Here we have, besides
    "baked beans", many types of just plain beans in their own
    juices - things like great northerns, pintos, red beans,
    black beans, etc. If you don't have anything like that
    available then I guess you could just cook your own beans
    from dried beans and then doctor them up any way you like.

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
    already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

  11. Quick and easy way to "dress up" canned baked beans (not
    pork 'n beans). Saute chopped green onions, bell pepper
    (only a few), celery, and a little chopped garlic in a
    little vegetable oil until half cooked. Drain most of the
    liquid from baked beans. Add sauteed vegetables, some dark
    brown sugar, a little dry mustard, and a little
    worchestershire sauce. Either bake in hot oven (375-400
    degrees) about 30 mins or partially cover and simmer about
    10 mins on the range.

    Especially good with any barbecue.

  12. Paula

    Paula Guest

    notbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s51>...
    > On 2004-03-12, paula <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > with grated cheese and melt together and serve on
    > > toast....
    >
    > Now see, that's what the main difference is. "..on toast"!
    > American's don't put beans on toast. It's uncivilized. On
    > tortillas, on rice, on paper plates, maybe even on a
    > hotdog bun (w/ dog, as chili). Certainly, with cheese, in
    > many incarnations. But, never on toast. It just isn't
    > done. :)
    >
    > nb

    i think you are thinking of different beans to ours. It is
    not uncivilised at all to put our beans on toast, no more
    than you putting yours on rice(YUK)