Baked french toast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by serene, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. serene

    serene Guest

    Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
    toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
    this turned out pretty well.)

    Baked french toast

    Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    6 eggs
    1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    a little grated fresh nutmeg

    Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

    serene

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
    > toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
    > this turned out pretty well.)
    >
    > Baked french toast
    >
    > Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    > me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    > 6 eggs
    > 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    > 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    > a little grated fresh nutmeg
    >
    > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
    >
    > serene

    That's interesting!
    I've never baked french toast, I always just dunk the bread in my batter
    and fry it in butter in the skillet.....
    --
    Peace, Om.

  3. On Sun 12 Mar 2006 01:36:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

    > Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
    > toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
    > this turned out pretty well.)
    >
    > Baked french toast
    >
    > Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    > me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    > 6 eggs
    > 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    > 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    > a little grated fresh nutmeg
    >
    > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
    >
    > serene

    I love baked French toast and make it occasionally, but one *tablespoon* of
    cinnamon sounds like a huge amount. I probably never use more than 1/2 to
    1 teaspoon.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    serene wrote:

    > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

    I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
    Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

  5. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:58 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've never baked french toast, I always just dunk the bread in my batter
    >and fry it in butter in the skillet.....

    Usually, I do it that way, but today's a housecleaning day, and I
    wanted to be able to clean while they slept, and then just pop it into
    the oven when they stirred. It worked out really well. (To be
    honest, Carin woke up before James did, and she and I polished off the
    baked stuff, so I made him some fresh in a skillet when he awoke -- by
    then, the house was clean enough that I felt ready for a break. And
    now I'll read the rest of the 17 messages I have on rfc and get back
    to work. My kitchen is spotless, but the bedroom and bathroom and
    living room need some serious work.

    serene

  6. serene

    serene Guest

    On 13 Mar 2006 00:49:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >I love baked French toast and make it occasionally, but one *tablespoon* of
    >cinnamon sounds like a huge amount. I probably never use more than 1/2 to
    >1 teaspoon.

    My partners love cinnamon. :)

    serene

  7. On Sun 12 Mar 2006 05:05:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

    > On 13 Mar 2006 00:49:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I love baked French toast and make it occasionally, but one *tablespoon*
    >>of cinnamon sounds like a huge amount. I probably never use more than
    >>1/2 to 1 teaspoon.

    > My partners love cinnamon. :)
    >
    > serene

    I do, too. Just not so much. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:55:07 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >serene wrote:
    >
    >> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    >> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    >> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    >> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    >> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    >> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

    >I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
    >Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

    I like it. It's less greasy, but otherwise tastes to me like French
    toast. It's a little more hassle to clean up after.

    serene

  9. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
    > Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

    I love the following recipe. It means I can serve company breakfast all
    at once and with little effort. I bake large batches of bacon, make some
    fresh fruit and I've got a great breakfast!

    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Oven Baked French Toast
    >
    > Recipe By :
    > Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : Breakfast

    > 12 ounces loaf French bread
    > 4 eggs
    > 1 cup half and half
    > 3 tablespoons sugar
    > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    > 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    > confectioner's sugar
    >
    > Cut bread crosswise into 16 slices.
    > Arrange bread in jelly roll pan, overlap if necessary.
    > In large bowl with wire whisk beat eggs, half and half, sugar and nutmeg until blended. Pour over bread, turning, until mixture is absorbed by bread.
    > Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Place bread on sheets and bake 8-10 min each side or till golden brown.
    > Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:
    > serene wrote:
    >
    > > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    > > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    > > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    > > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    > > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    > > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

    > I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
    > Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

    Real french toast is deep fried... large cubes of de-crusted brioche,
    laden with egg and deep fried so that the centers are custardy.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:58 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've never baked french toast, I always just dunk the bread in my batter
    > >and fry it in butter in the skillet.....

    > Usually, I do it that way, but today's a housecleaning day, and I
    > wanted to be able to clean while they slept, and then just pop it into
    > the oven when they stirred. It worked out really well. (To be
    > honest, Carin woke up before James did, and she and I polished off the
    > baked stuff, so I made him some fresh in a skillet when he awoke -- by
    > then, the house was clean enough that I felt ready for a break. And
    > now I'll read the rest of the 17 messages I have on rfc and get back
    > to work. My kitchen is spotless, but the bedroom and bathroom and
    > living room need some serious work.
    >
    > serene

    I know that feeling. ;-)
    Seems that housework never ends......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  12. Sheldon wrote:

    > Real french toast is deep fried... large cubes of de-crusted brioche,
    > laden with egg and deep fried so that the centers are custardy.

    You're fulla shit, as usual. Care to point to any AUTHORITATIVE source for
    the opinion you cite as fact?

    Bob

  13. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > Sheldon wrote:
    >
    > > Real french toast is deep fried... large cubes of de-crusted brioche,
    > > laden with egg and deep fried so that the centers are custardy.

    > You're fulla shit, as usual. Care to point to any AUTHORITATIVE source for
    > the opinion you cite as fact?

    LOL As if the French even have a recipe for French Toast, like Danish pastries
    in Denmark and Canadian bacon in Canada.

  14. dee

    dee Guest

    serene wrote:
    > Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
    > toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
    > this turned out pretty well.)
    >
    > Baked french toast
    >
    > Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    > me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    > 6 eggs
    > 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    > 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    > a little grated fresh nutmeg
    >
    > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
    >
    > serene

    ...thanks. Never thought of putting cinnamon and sugar in the mix -
    sounds great! I've only tried shallow fry the egg-soaked bread then
    pour syrup over it to eat.. very heavy but mmm for brunch.

  15. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
    > toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
    > this turned out pretty well.)
    >
    > Baked french toast
    >
    > Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    > me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    > 6 eggs
    > 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    > 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    > a little grated fresh nutmeg
    >
    > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
    >
    > serene

    This sounds good! And easy for a Sunday breakfast too.
    What was the texture of the center when it was finished? The same as
    regular? I am so finicky about french toast...I can't stand it when it seems
    undercooked. :)

    Thanks for posting this! It will go great with the strawberries I'll be
    picking up this week.

    kimberly

  16. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:13:08 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What was the texture of the center when it was finished? The same as
    >regular? I am so finicky about french toast...I can't stand it when it seems
    >undercooked. :)

    I guess cooking it a little longer would work -- it was moist, but
    not wet, if that makes any sense.

    serene

  17. serene wrote:

    >Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
    >toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
    >this turned out pretty well.)
    >
    >Baked french toast
    >
    >Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    >me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    >6 eggs
    >1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    >1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    >a little grated fresh nutmeg
    >
    >Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    >Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    >getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    >nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    >bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    >minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
    >
    >serene

    Interesting. Sort of bread and butter pudding without the butter or the
    alcohol soaked sultanas - or the marmalade, many people swear by
    marmalade in their bread and butter pudding. Personally I like to
    sprinkle grated chocolate between the layers of bread.

    Christine

  18. Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in news:4414B4DB.853B56D0
    @sympatico.ca:

    > serene wrote:
    >
    >> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
    >> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
    >> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
    >> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
    >> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
    >> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

    > I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with

    French
    > Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

    It is good. Try this

    Title: Peach French Toast Q
    Categories: Breakfast
    Yield: 6 Servings MM#: 13693

    1 c Packed brown sugar 1/2 c Butter
    2 tb Water 7 1/2 c Sliced peaches (or 2 29oz
    canned peaches) 12 Slices french bread 1" slice
    5 lg Eggs 1 1/2 c Milk
    1 tb Vanilla

    Stir brown sugar and butter over med heat until butter is melted. Add
    water and cook until thick and foamy. Pour into 9x13 pan. Cool for 10 min
    until set on bottom. Layer peaches over carmel layer, if using canned
    drain and reserve syrup for later use. Cover peaches with single layer of
    bread. Whisk eggs, milk & vanilla together and pour over bread. Cover and
    refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered @ 350 for 40 min. Use peach syrup
    or maple syrup as desired.

    --

    Charles
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved

  19. Jen

    Jen Guest

    >> Baked french toast
    >>
    >> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    >> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    >> 6 eggs
    >> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    >> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    >> a little grated fresh nutmeg

    Sounds like Bread and Butter Pudding.

    Jen

  20. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Jen" <[email protected]> wrote in news:NVaRf.5342$dy4.4561
    @news-server.bigpond.net.au:

    >>> Baked french toast
    >>>
    >>> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
    >>> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
    >>> 6 eggs
    >>> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
    >>> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
    >>> a little grated fresh nutmeg

    > Sounds like Bread and Butter Pudding.
    >
    > Jen

    Jen,

    You should add a shot of Grand Marnier into the batter and omit the
    sugar.

    Imho,

    Andy