Baked french toast

serene

Guest
Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
this turned out pretty well.)

Baked french toast

Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
6 eggs
1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
a little grated fresh nutmeg

Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

serene

In article <[email protected]>,
serene <[email protected]> wrote:

> Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
> toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
> this turned out pretty well.)
>
> Baked french toast
>
> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
> 6 eggs
> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
> a little grated fresh nutmeg
>
> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
>
> serene

That's interesting!
I've never baked french toast, I always just dunk the bread in my batter
and fry it in butter in the skillet.....
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 01:36:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
> toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
> this turned out pretty well.)
>
> Baked french toast
>
> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
> 6 eggs
> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
> a little grated fresh nutmeg
>
> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
>
> serene

I love baked French toast and make it occasionally, but one *tablespoon* of
cinnamon sounds like a huge amount. I probably never use more than 1/2 to
1 teaspoon.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

serene wrote:

> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:58 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've never baked french toast, I always just dunk the bread in my batter
>and fry it in butter in the skillet.....

Usually, I do it that way, but today's a housecleaning day, and I
wanted to be able to clean while they slept, and then just pop it into
the oven when they stirred. It worked out really well. (To be
honest, Carin woke up before James did, and she and I polished off the
baked stuff, so I made him some fresh in a skillet when he awoke -- by
then, the house was clean enough that I felt ready for a break. And
now I'll read the rest of the 17 messages I have on rfc and get back
to work. My kitchen is spotless, but the bedroom and bathroom and
living room need some serious work.

serene

On 13 Mar 2006 00:49:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I love baked French toast and make it occasionally, but one *tablespoon* of
>cinnamon sounds like a huge amount. I probably never use more than 1/2 to
>1 teaspoon.

My partners love cinnamon. :)

serene

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 05:05:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> On 13 Mar 2006 00:49:57 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I love baked French toast and make it occasionally, but one *tablespoon*
>>of cinnamon sounds like a huge amount. I probably never use more than
>>1/2 to 1 teaspoon.

> My partners love cinnamon. :)
>
> serene

I do, too. Just not so much. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:55:07 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>serene wrote:
>
>> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
>> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
>> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
>> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
>> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
>> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

>I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
>Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

I like it. It's less greasy, but otherwise tastes to me like French
toast. It's a little more hassle to clean up after.

serene

Dave Smith wrote:

> I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
> Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

I love the following recipe. It means I can serve company breakfast all
at once and with little effort. I bake large batches of bacon, make some
fresh fruit and I've got a great breakfast!

Dave Smith wrote:
> serene wrote:
>
> > Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
> > Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
> > getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
> > nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
> > bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
> > minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

> I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with French
> Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

Real french toast is deep fried... large cubes of de-crusted brioche,
laden with egg and deep fried so that the centers are custardy.

In article <[email protected]>,
serene <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:58 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've never baked french toast, I always just dunk the bread in my batter
> >and fry it in butter in the skillet.....

> Usually, I do it that way, but today's a housecleaning day, and I
> wanted to be able to clean while they slept, and then just pop it into
> the oven when they stirred. It worked out really well. (To be
> honest, Carin woke up before James did, and she and I polished off the
> baked stuff, so I made him some fresh in a skillet when he awoke -- by
> then, the house was clean enough that I felt ready for a break. And
> now I'll read the rest of the 17 messages I have on rfc and get back
> to work. My kitchen is spotless, but the bedroom and bathroom and
> living room need some serious work.
>
> serene

I know that feeling. ;-)
Seems that housework never ends......
--

Sheldon wrote:

> Real french toast is deep fried... large cubes of de-crusted brioche,
> laden with egg and deep fried so that the centers are custardy.

You're fulla ****, as usual. Care to point to any AUTHORITATIVE source for
the opinion you cite as fact?

Bob

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Real french toast is deep fried... large cubes of de-crusted brioche,
> > laden with egg and deep fried so that the centers are custardy.

> You're fulla ****, as usual. Care to point to any AUTHORITATIVE source for
> the opinion you cite as fact?

LOL As if the French even have a recipe for French Toast, like Danish pastries
in Denmark and Canadian bacon in Canada.

serene wrote:
> Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
> toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
> this turned out pretty well.)
>
> Baked french toast
>
> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
> 6 eggs
> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
> a little grated fresh nutmeg
>
> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
>
> serene

...thanks. Never thought of putting cinnamon and sugar in the mix -
sounds great! I've only tried shallow fry the egg-soaked bread then
pour syrup over it to eat.. very heavy but mmm for brunch.

"serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
> toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
> this turned out pretty well.)
>
> Baked french toast
>
> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
> 6 eggs
> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
> a little grated fresh nutmeg
>
> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
>
> serene

This sounds good! And easy for a Sunday breakfast too.
What was the texture of the center when it was finished? The same as
regular? I am so finicky about french toast...I can't stand it when it seems
undercooked. :)

Thanks for posting this! It will go great with the strawberries I'll be
picking up this week.

kimberly

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:13:08 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What was the texture of the center when it was finished? The same as
>regular? I am so finicky about french toast...I can't stand it when it seems
>undercooked. :)

I guess cooking it a little longer would work -- it was moist, but
not wet, if that makes any sense.

serene

serene wrote:

>Made this for breakfast. Yummy. (I looked at a bunch of baked french
>toast recipes on the web, and I didn't have overnight to soak it, but
>this turned out pretty well.)
>
>Baked french toast
>
>Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
>me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
>6 eggs
>1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
>1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
>a little grated fresh nutmeg
>
>Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
>Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
>getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
>nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
>bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
>minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.
>
>serene

Interesting. Sort of bread and butter pudding without the butter or the
alcohol soaked sultanas - or the marmalade, many people swear by
marmalade in their bread and butter pudding. Personally I like to
sprinkle grated chocolate between the layers of bread.

Christine

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in news:4414B4DB.853B56D0
@sympatico.ca:

> serene wrote:
>
>> Place bread in pan. Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar together.
>> Pour over bread. Turn bread a couple of times to make sure it's
>> getting good and soaked with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with fresh
>> nutmeg. Cover with plastic and leave in the fridge until ready to
>> bake (I left it for an hour and a half). Bake at 400F for about 20
>> minutes, until puffy and starting to brown.

> I keep reading about baked French Toast. How does it compare with

French
> Toast made the old fashioned way... fried? I am tempted to try it.

It is good. Try this

Title: Peach French Toast Q
Categories: Breakfast
Yield: 6 Servings MM#: 13693

1 c Packed brown sugar 1/2 c Butter
2 tb Water 7 1/2 c Sliced peaches (or 2 29oz
canned peaches) 12 Slices french bread 1" slice
5 lg Eggs 1 1/2 c Milk
1 tb Vanilla

Stir brown sugar and butter over med heat until butter is melted. Add
water and cook until thick and foamy. Pour into 9x13 pan. Cool for 10 min
until set on bottom. Layer peaches over carmel layer, if using canned
drain and reserve syrup for later use. Cover peaches with single layer of
bread. Whisk eggs, milk & vanilla together and pour over bread. Cover and
refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered @ 350 for 40 min. Use peach syrup
or maple syrup as desired.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

>> Baked french toast
>>
>> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
>> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
>> 6 eggs
>> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
>> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
>> a little grated fresh nutmeg

Sounds like Bread and Butter Pudding.

Jen

"Jen" <[email protected]> wrote in news:NVaRf.5342$dy4.4561
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

>>> Baked french toast
>>>
>>> Enough bread to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking pan (It took
>>> me 5 slices, with the fifth torn in half)
>>> 6 eggs
>>> 1 cup milk (I was out of milk, so I used soymilk)
>>> 1 tablespoon each cinnamon and sugar
>>> a little grated fresh nutmeg

> Sounds like Bread and Butter Pudding.
>
> Jen

Jen,

You should add a shot of Grand Marnier into the batter and omit the
sugar.

Imho,

Andy