Baked potatoes lasting

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Fjdx, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Fjdx

    Fjdx Guest

    As baked potatoes take so long to cook in the oven, it
    seems a waste of power to cook only a couple each time. If
    I were to cook a large number of them, how long can I store
    them in the fridge for so that they can be heated up and
    eaten later on?

    Tags:

  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:38:22 +0000 (UTC), "FJDx"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As baked potatoes take so long to cook in the oven, it
    >seems a waste of power to cook only a couple each time. If
    >I were to cook a large number of them, how long can I store
    >them in the fridge for so that they can be heated up and
    >eaten later on?

    Cook in the microwave first and finish in the [toaster] oven
    for 20 minutes (like I just did).

    I would suspect they would last 6-8 days before being
    suspect. Don't even think about freezing them.

    -sw

  3. Murphassoc

    Murphassoc Guest

    I do mine all together (as many as four) in the microwave
    for 8 minutes on high, which reduces the baking by at
    least half. JM

  4. Aenuff

    Aenuff Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:38:22 +0000 (UTC), "FJDx"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >As baked potatoes take so long to cook in the oven, it
    > >seems a waste of power to cook only a couple each time.
    > >If I were to cook a large number
    of
    > >them, how long can I store them in the fridge for so that
    > >they can be heated up and eaten later on?
    >
    > Cook in the microwave first and finish in the [toaster]
    > oven for 20 minutes (like I just did).
    >
    > I would suspect they would last 6-8 days before being
    > suspect. Don't even think about freezing them.
    >
    > -sw

    Why not freeze? I regularly cook in batches of 30-40 for 2
    hours at 160 deg C, leave to cool for an hour or two then
    lay out on oven trays in a freezer overnight. Once frozen
    keep in a box in the bottom of the freezer. Large'ish pots
    then take 4-6 mins in 1000w microwave and they still have
    that "baked" taste and a good texture.

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:26:07 -0000, "Aenuff"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why not freeze? I regularly cook in batches of 30-40 for 2
    >hours at 160 deg C, leave to cool for an hour or two then
    >lay out on oven trays in a freezer overnight. Once frozen
    >keep in a box in the bottom of the freezer. Large'ish pots
    >then take 4-6 mins in 1000w microwave and they still have
    >that "baked" taste and a good texture.

    Huh? You're sense of texture must be off - freezing cooked
    potatoes ruins them.

    I'd bet money you make mashed potatoes in the food
    processor, too.

    -sw

  6. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:26:07 -0000, "Aenuff"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Why not freeze? I regularly cook in batches of 30-40 for 2
    >>hours at 160 deg C, leave to cool for an hour or two then
    >>lay out on oven trays in a freezer overnight. Once frozen
    >>keep in a box in the bottom of the freezer. Large'ish pots
    >>then take 4-6 mins in 1000w microwave and they still have
    >>that "baked" taste and a good texture.
    >
    > Huh? You're sense of texture must be off - freezing cooked
    > potatoes ruins them.
    >
    > I'd bet money you make mashed potatoes in the food
    > processor, too.
    >
    > -sw

    Seriously, does anyone make them in a food processor? Dear
    God spare us all.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  7. Aenuff

    Aenuff Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:26:07 -0000, "Aenuff"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Why not freeze? I regularly cook in batches of 30-40 for
    > >2 hours at 160
    deg
    > >C, leave to cool for an hour or two then lay out on oven
    > >trays in a
    freezer
    > >overnight. Once frozen keep in a box in the bottom of the
    > >freezer.
    Large'ish
    > >pots then take 4-6 mins in 1000w microwave and they still
    > >have that
    "baked"
    > >taste and a good texture.
    >
    > Huh? You're sense of texture must be off - freezing cooked
    > potatoes ruins them.
    >
    > I'd bet money you make mashed potatoes in the food
    > processor, too.
    >
    > -sw

    No I use frozen mash pellets which you nuke of 2 mins. In my
    defense I have one kitchen assistant and I have to provide a
    menu of 16 varied meals. All of which have to be served
    within 15 mins of ordering to about 15,000 people a year so
    frozen BPs have to do. Thats not to say *I* eat them but I
    have done in a blind tasting with 3 other poeple. To date
    (thats about 150 BPs in March so far) no complaints, in fact
    just the opposite. They aren't the greatest but if you don;t
    have 2 hours (plus) then they work well.

    I think what we have to recognise is that this is a food
    group and attracts people who appreciate food maybe a little
    more than the average person. What is perfectly acceptable
    to the majority we may sneer at or dislike. For example,
    "lazy garlic" I would not even allow the stuff in my kitchen
    but may others are happy with it. I won't use a
    manufacturerd curry paste, other swear by it.

  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    wrote:

    >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:38:22 +0000 (UTC), "FJDx"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >As baked potatoes take so long to cook in the oven, it
    >> >seems a waste of power to cook only a couple each time.
    >> >If I were to cook a large number
    >of
    >> >them, how long can I store them in the fridge for so
    >> >that they can be heated up and eaten later on?
    >>
    >> Cook in the microwave first and finish in the [toaster]
    >> oven for 20 minutes (like I just did).
    >>
    >> I would suspect they would last 6-8 days before being
    >> suspect. Don't even think about freezing them.
    >>
    >> -sw
    >
    >Why not freeze? I regularly cook in batches of 30-40 for 2
    >hours at 160 deg C, leave to cool for an hour or two then
    >lay out on oven trays in a freezer overnight. Once frozen
    >keep in a box in the bottom of the freezer. Large'ish pots
    >then take 4-6 mins in 1000w microwave and they still have
    >that "baked" taste and a good texture.

    They also make great hash browns after they've been in the
    fridge for a day or so!

    Grate them, fry them.

    Um. Good.

  9. Aenuff <[email protected]> wrote:
    >No I use frozen mash pellets which you nuke of 2 mins. In
    >my defense I have one kitchen assistant and I have to
    >provide a menu of 16 varied meals. All of which have to be
    >served within 15 mins of ordering to about 15,000 people a
    >year so frozen BPs have to do. Thats not to say *I* eat
    >them but I have

    Don't kick yourself. "Instant" mashed potatoes are pretty
    damned good.

    Though if given the chance I wouldn't take them over the
    oiled, salted, peppered spud slices I grilled with my
    steak today.

    But in replacement for the risk and expense of boiling and
    mashing my own, they're pretty damned good.

    --Blair "Life is a tradeoff.
    You gonna eat that?"

  10. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:24:33 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Don't kick yourself. "Instant" mashed potatoes are pretty
    >damned good.

    Those "Butter Golds" (whole potatoes) make the *best* mashed
    potatoes. Mixed with some green onion, butter, roasted
    garlic and parsley... oh yeah. I just made 4lbs that way.

    -sw