baking soda vs baking powder

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Frenchy, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Frenchy

    Frenchy Guest

    "Mike "Piedmont"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    :I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
    : same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of
    : ArmNHammer. (grin)
    : --
    : Regards,
    :
    : Piedmont
    :
    : The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm
    :
    snip

    Google is your friend!

    Frenchy

    Both baking powder and baking soda are chemical leavening agents that cause
    batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already
    present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients. When a recipe
    contains baking powder and baking soda, the baking powder does most of the
    leavening. The baking soda is added to neutralize the acids in the recipe plus to
    add tenderness and some leavening. When using baking powder or baking soda in a
    recipe, make sure to sift or whisk with the other dry ingredients before adding to
    the batter to ensure uniformity. Otherwise the baked good can have large holes.
    Baking powder consists of baking soda, one or more acid salts (cream of tartar and
    sodium aluminum sulfate) plus cornstarch to absorb any moisture so a reaction does
    not take place until a liquid is added to the batter. Most baking powder used
    today is double-acting which means it reacts to liquid and heat and happens in two
    stages. The first reaction takes place when you add the baking powder to the
    batter and it is moistened. One of the acid salts reacts with the baking soda and
    produces carbon dioxide gas. The second reaction takes place when the batter is
    placed in the oven. The gas cells expand causing the batter to rise. Because of
    the two stages, baking of the batter can be delayed for about 15-20 minutes
    without it losing its leavening power.
    Too much baking powder can cause the batter to be bitter tasting. It can also
    cause the batter to rise rapidly and then collapse. (i.e. The air bubbles in the
    batter grow too large and break causing the batter to fall.) Cakes will have a
    coarse, fragile crumb with a fallen center. Too little baking powder results in a
    tough cake that has poor volume and a compact crumb.
    Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate or bicarbonate of soda (alkali) is
    about four times as strong as baking powder. It is used in recipes that contain
    an acidic ingredient (e.g. vinegar, citrus juice, sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk,
    chocolate, cocoa (not Dutch-processed), honey, molasses (also brown sugar), fruits
    and maple syrup). Baking soda starts to react and release carbon dioxide gas as
    soon as it is added to the batter and moistened. Make sure to bake the batter
    immediately.
    Baking soda has an indefinite shelf life if stored in a sealed container in a cool
    dry place. Too much baking soda will result in a soapy taste with a coarse, open
    crumb. Baking soda causes reddening of cocoa powder when baked, hence the name
    Devil's Food Cake.

    Tags:

  2. I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
    --
    Regards,

    Piedmont

    The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

    What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
    whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
    or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

    Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

  3. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Frenchy wrote:
    > "Mike "Piedmont"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > :I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
    > : same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of
    > : ArmNHammer. (grin)
    > : --
    > : Regards,
    > :
    > : Piedmont
    > :
    > : The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm
    > :
    > snip
    >
    > Google is your friend!
    >
    > Frenchy

    I think what Frenchy meant to say was, "No".
    Good information, I always wondered what the differences were, but
    never took the time to check. Thanks, Frenchy.

    > Both baking powder and baking soda are chemical leavening agents that cause
    > batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already
    > present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients. When a recipe
    > contains baking powder and baking soda, the baking powder does most of the
    > leavening. The baking soda is added to neutralize the acids in the recipe plus to
    > add tenderness and some leavening. When using baking powder or baking soda in a
    > recipe, make sure to sift or whisk with the other dry ingredients before adding to
    > the batter to ensure uniformity. Otherwise the baked good can have large holes.
    > Baking powder consists of baking soda, one or more acid salts (cream of tartar and
    > sodium aluminum sulfate) plus cornstarch to absorb any moisture so a reaction does
    > not take place until a liquid is added to the batter. Most baking powder used
    > today is double-acting which means it reacts to liquid and heat and happens in two
    > stages. The first reaction takes place when you add the baking powder to the
    > batter and it is moistened. One of the acid salts reacts with the baking soda and
    > produces carbon dioxide gas. The second reaction takes place when the batter is
    > placed in the oven. The gas cells expand causing the batter to rise. Because of
    > the two stages, baking of the batter can be delayed for about 15-20 minutes
    > without it losing its leavening power.
    > Too much baking powder can cause the batter to be bitter tasting. It can also
    > cause the batter to rise rapidly and then collapse. (i.e. The air bubbles in the
    > batter grow too large and break causing the batter to fall.) Cakes will have a
    > coarse, fragile crumb with a fallen center. Too little baking powder results in a
    > tough cake that has poor volume and a compact crumb.
    > Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate or bicarbonate of soda (alkali) is
    > about four times as strong as baking powder. It is used in recipes that contain
    > an acidic ingredient (e.g. vinegar, citrus juice, sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk,
    > chocolate, cocoa (not Dutch-processed), honey, molasses (also brown sugar), fruits
    > and maple syrup). Baking soda starts to react and release carbon dioxide gas as
    > soon as it is added to the batter and moistened. Make sure to bake the batter
    > immediately.
    > Baking soda has an indefinite shelf life if stored in a sealed container in a cool
    > dry place. Too much baking soda will result in a soapy taste with a coarse, open
    > crumb. Baking soda causes reddening of cocoa powder when baked, hence the name
    > Devil's Food Cake.

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    salgud wrote:

    > I think what Frenchy meant to say was, "No".
    > Good information, I always wondered what the differences were, but
    > never took the time to check. Thanks, Frenchy.

    And I think the OP already knew that.
    Some recipes call for Baking Soda and some call for Baking Powder. The odd one calls for
    both , but I have yet to come across a recipe that calls for Baking Powder OR Baking
    Soda.

  5. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Mike "Piedmont"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the same amount
    >of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of ArmNHammer. (grin)
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Piedmont

    In a word, No.

    kimberly

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    > I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use
    > the same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a
    > box of ArmNHammer. (grin)

    I am not going to tell you the scientific differences. I will, however,
    tell you, if it calls for baking soda and you use powder, don't be surprised
    at the disappointing results.

    Jill

  7. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:40:47 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
    >same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of
    >ArmNHammer. (grin)

    Read the label of your baking powder. The first ingredient should be
    "Sodium of bicarbonate" ie baking soda. From what I understand
    the other ingredients are acids meant to interact with the baking
    soda.

    Remember those vinegar and baking soda volcanoes you used to make as
    a child? Baking soda and acids in foods, cause a similar reaction
    which is why the baking soda causes foods to rise. The difference
    between soda and powder is that powder contains it's own acids.

    Plus I think the powder is ground finer, I think.

    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    Think twice, code once.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mike \"Piedmont\"" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
    > same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of
    > ArmNHammer. (grin)

    Baking soda and baking powder are not the same. Both are leavening
    agents but they act differently. Baking powder *contains* baking soda.

    http://tinyurl.com/bvns9
    http://tinyurl.com/ganzv
    http://tinyurl.com/4d8cg
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.

  9. AC

    AC Guest

    Mike "Piedmont srote:

    > I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
    > same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of
    > ArmNHammer. (grin)
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Piedmont
    >
    > The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm
    >
    > What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
    > whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
    > or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

    hey mike,

    i think we live in the same neck of the woods. r/h f/m area? it's rare to run
    into
    someone on this news group from my area so i thought i'd say howdy.
    there's a poster here on rfc named 'curely sue' and she has a web page up
    that gives more info than you ever want to know about the baking soda /
    baking powder issue. ---->
    http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/bakgsoda.html

  10. AC wrote:
    snip
    > hey mike,
    >
    > i think we live in the same neck of the woods. r/h f/m area? it's rare to run
    > into
    > someone on this news group from my area so i thought i'd say howdy.
    > there's a poster here on rfc named 'curely sue' and she has a web page up

    snip
    Hey AC,

    I work in F/M area and visit R/H often to see friends and shop in the
    Big City, (grin) We live North of L/C.

    Thanks for the link!